Is Intellectual Conservative an oxymoron?

One need only bring to mind William F. Buckley to affirm the negative, but a December 15, 2009, article on a web site by the same name argues strongly for the affirmative.

The article is Thinking the Legally “Unthinkable” in the KSM Trial from the Intellectual Conservative web site. The article suggests that Khalid Shaikh Mohammed (KSM) could create an uproar by turning his trial into a referendum on Obama’s birth certificate. (Note that author “Jack Kemp” is not the well-known politician with the same name.)

KSM doesn’t even have to research the citizenship matter much. He could merely attain transcripts of the case attorney Orly Taitz won against the government in attempting to deploy a soldier overseas who claimed that Barack Obama wasn’t a valid Commander-In-Chief. He could also use the public record of Philip Berg’s testimony in his attempt to question President Obama’s citizenship before the US Supreme Court.

OK, help me out here. What case did Orly Taitz win, and when did Phil Berg ever testify in court about Obama’s citizenship? 😯

47 Responses to Is Intellectual Conservative an oxymoron?

myson December 15, 2009 at 11:24 pm #

Nuts !!!!

Greg December 15, 2009 at 11:36 pm #

Man, it is sickening to see these whackaloons salivating over the possibility that Obama will impose martial law, or do damage to the US, or whatever. There is some serious, and seriously effed-up, projection going on, there!

Brooks Jackson December 16, 2009 at 12:13 am #

For the record, the real Jack Kemp died May 2 this year.

aarrgghh December 16, 2009 at 12:27 am #

looks like jack “not-that-jack-kemp” kemp’s great big ticking time-bomb of birfer brainpower went off over at the great orange satan.

misha December 16, 2009 at 12:47 am #

Conservatism: guilty until proven innocent.
    Liberalism: innocent until proven guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt.

Just ask the 3 Stooges of law, or any evangelical.

brygenon December 16, 2009 at 12:54 am #

Even if Obama-eligibility-denial were more than a kook theory, it would still not be a defense for Khalid Shaikh Mohammed.

No, what KSM needs to cite isn’t Berg v. Obama, it’s Berg’s 2004 lawsuit Rodriguez v. Bush. In that suit, Berg alleged that the 9/11 attack was actually an inside job; if KSM had anything to do with it at all, he had the approval or at least the complicity of the U.S. government.

It’s still a kook theory of course, but at least it’s a kook theory about the issue.

Orly's Taint December 16, 2009 at 1:11 am #

I have never – meaning not ever – seen or heard a conservative who was both intellectual and honest. The intellectual conservatives are extraordinarily rare, but every one of them is a liar.

misha December 16, 2009 at 1:52 am #

Yeah, like when Ann Coulter says she is not an anti-Semite, and the neocons agree with her.

Or WMDs in Iraq. Or, we will be greeted as liberators. Actually, I could fill a book. Remember this: “We have learned from British Intelligence, Iraq has attempted to obtain uranium from Africa.” That’s a knee slapper.

NoE December 16, 2009 at 1:53 am #

Orly Taitz hasn’t won a case. I think he must be referring to the Cook case from July. Major Cook was not required to go to Afghanistan because he was a reserve officer, and all he had to do was refuse. See

misha December 16, 2009 at 1:58 am #

Yeah, that should be his defense. In Arab/Muslim countries, the rumor is the Mossad was behind it, and that Jews didn’t go to work that day.

About six months before, I applied for a transfer to my employer’s WTC branch. I guess the Mossad forgot to call me.

Lupin December 16, 2009 at 4:00 am #

Has Mario yet confirmed or denied that he is the sock puppet litigator of white supremacists?

misha December 16, 2009 at 4:06 am #

Compassion and conservative: mutually exclusive.

mrheuss December 16, 2009 at 5:27 am #

I don’t agree – I think of myself as compassionate, and conservative. However, it has been 10 years plus years since I felt I had anything in common with anyone who labels themselves as such on TV or Radio.

Lupin December 16, 2009 at 5:52 am #

Speaking as a former subscriber to the ECONOMIST I would agree.

What you have in the US are not “conservatives”. The label has been hijacked by “reactionaries” who want to return you to the 1880s (or what they think the 1880s were like), or downright lunatics, the kind which, here, hands out greasy pamphlets outside subway stations, but that, somehow, end up on TV — and dishearteningly, not the object of ridicule — in the US.

Dick Whitman December 16, 2009 at 6:17 am #

If BO is required to demonstrate his eligibility, then the terrorists win!

A ringing endorsement from the Right. If I were an OBOT, then I would be thrilled.

MsDaisy December 16, 2009 at 6:56 am #

Yes, that’s the case that perked my interest in these numb nut birthers in the first place. And further proof that that whole incident was a total fraud is the fact that any reservist that volunteers for an assignment has the right to rescind that request up until the date of deployment. I wrote a post about that.

This Kemp guy sounds like a typical birthtard.

misha December 16, 2009 at 7:03 am #

Lupin: here in the States, conservatives are the most callous people I have met. And they are uniformly bigots.

I have read comments on The Daily Beast, that organ transplants should be based on worth – in other words, a person’s contribution to society.

And I’m sure you are familiar with Jesse Helms. Most people do not know that Jerry Falwell was a segregationist. And google how Ted Haggard harrassed non-Christians in Colorado Springs.

Here’s a start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mQvvGJYQaM

misha December 16, 2009 at 7:37 am #

Lupin and others: I wrote this,above…

“And google how Ted Haggard harrassed non-Christians in Colorado Springs.” You can also google forced baptisms in Colorado Springs, especially the Cornerstone Baptist Church.

Here is the link: Soldiers Of Christ

Scientist December 16, 2009 at 8:22 am #

A bit off topic, but…

Since none of the birthers have been brave (or foolish) enough to take me up on my bet that no court will remove Obama from office, let me issue a different challenge. The birthers would have us believe that a President whose parent held a foreign citizenship is a grave threat to national security because he would favor the countries of his parent(s) citizenship. Well, we all know Barack Obama’s father held Kenyan and British Colonial citizenship. So, my challenge is to show me a concrete change in US policy towards either Kenya or Britain, compared to the policy under the last few administrations. I mean if Obama is truly a dangerous agent of Britsh/Kenyan influence, his handlers in Nairobi and London must be disappointed with the results so far.

misha December 16, 2009 at 8:40 am #

“his handlers in Nairobi…must be disappointed”

The Kenyan mob is not getting their money’s worth.

Scientist December 16, 2009 at 9:00 am #

misha: The Kenyan mob is not getting their money’s worth.

I should say not! In fact, an American man won the NYC Marathon this year for the first time since 1982, after Kenyans won 7 of the previous 12 titles. So it looks like Obama has been very bad for Kenyan distance running, one of the great prides of that country.

The true test will come next year when England plays the US at the World Cup.

elmo December 16, 2009 at 9:39 am #

Actually, I think the correct term is “oxymoran.”

Lupin December 16, 2009 at 10:09 am #

There is indeed a disheartening lack of empathy in a segment of American society.

I’m we sure we have plenty of mild sociopaths in France, including in positions of power, but they’re not given the respect they get in the US. In fact, here, they understand they’ve got to fake empathy in order to be successful. In America, nowadays, it seems that sociopathy is cultivated.

Greg December 16, 2009 at 10:44 am #

Off-topic, but I have found out something that convinces me to a complete certainty that the “natural born citizen” clause has outlived its usefulness. I mean, yes, the 2 governors, 700 Congressional Medal of Honor winners, at least two Secretaries of State are evidence that you can be a patriot despite being a naturalized citizen, but this…

Bob Hope was not a natural born citizen!

He was born in England to an English father and a Welsh mother!

misha December 16, 2009 at 2:50 pm #

And you are one of the few people who know that. I have apologized to DrC about my previous stance.

Kissinger and Albright are two examples, and of course Arnold. They all have a top level SC, but can’t aspire higher.

Dr. Conspiracy December 16, 2009 at 4:43 pm #

I mark the popular acceptance of this with the administration of Ronald Reagan and the idea that greed was a socially acceptable.

Dr. Conspiracy December 16, 2009 at 4:57 pm #

NoE, I think you have identified the “win”, but really, if Orly won the case, why did she file a notice of appeal?

Dr. Conspiracy December 16, 2009 at 4:59 pm #

Actually, Iraq did try to obtain uranium from Africa. The following letter proves it!

Lagos, Nigeria.
    Attention: The President/CEO

Dear Sir,

Confidential Business Proposal

Having consulted with my colleagues and based on the information gathered from the Nigerian Chambers Of Commerce And Industry, I have the privilege to request your assistance to transfer the sum of 47 metric tons (103,400 pounds US measure) of unprocessed uranium 238 to your country. The above sum resulted from a contract, executed, commissioned and paid for about five years (5) ago by a foreign contractor. This action was however intentional and since then the material has been in a suspense account at The Central Bank Of Nigeria Apex Bank Bulk Materials Storage Facility.

We are now ready to transfer the material overseas and that is where you come in. It is important to inform you that as civil servants, we are forbidden to operate a foreign country; that is why we require your assistance. The total sum will be shared as follows: 70% for us, 25% for you and 5% for local and international expenses incidental to the transfer.

The transfer is risk free on both sides. I am an accountant with the Nigerian National and Uranium Mining and Petroleum Corporation (NNUMPC). If you find this proposal acceptable, we shall require the following documents:

(a) your banker’s name, telephone, account and fax numbers.

(b) your private telephone and fax numbers — for confidentiality and easy communication.

(c) your letter-headed paper stamped and signed.

Alternatively we will furnish you with the text of what to type into your letter-headed paper, along with a breakdown explaining, comprehensively what we require of you. The business will take us thirty (30) working days to accomplish.

Please reply urgently.

Best regards

Howgul Abul Arhu

Jules December 17, 2009 at 12:36 pm #

I think that Orly Taitz getting a chance to personally appear and recite her talking points in open court constitutes a victory in birthers’ minds. Thus, she wins every time she manages to abuse the court system to make her absurd political arguments.

Greg December 17, 2009 at 2:41 pm #

Off-topic question: Does anyone think there might be a market for a book that traced the legal history of birth-right citizenship against the backdrop of modern and historical “birthers?” Would anyone read it besides the folks here?

Scientist December 17, 2009 at 3:04 pm #

I don’t know if I’d read the book, but I would love to see the movie. Let’s see who’d play whom:

Obama- Will Smith
    Orly- Reese Witherspoon
    Mario-Joe Pesci
    Donofrio- Maybe a young Pacino
    Wong Kim Ark-Chow Yun-Fat
    Chester Arthur-???

Greg December 17, 2009 at 3:25 pm #

Bill Paxton as George D. Collins, or is that type-casting?

Greg December 17, 2009 at 3:26 pm #

Robert Downey Jr. or Johnny Depp as Chester Arthur.

Greg December 17, 2009 at 3:28 pm #

Kyle Gass as Horace Gray.

Scientist December 17, 2009 at 3:29 pm #

Downey, I think.

Scientist December 17, 2009 at 3:30 pm #

What about Daniel Day Lewis?

Mike December 17, 2009 at 4:32 pm #

I think Joe Pesci would be more suited as Orly, actually.

SFJeff December 17, 2009 at 4:36 pm #

Oh Orly needs to be played by Sue- the evil cheerleader coach on Glee. First time I saw that show I thought “Orly without an accent, but just as nasty”

milspec December 17, 2009 at 9:44 pm #

Funny my first thought was Depp, but i think Downey is right.

Jim in Indiana December 18, 2009 at 2:03 am #

Amy Poehler as Orly. After all, her pal Tina Fey does a great Sarah Palin.

Obama has already said that, if anyone is to play him in a movie someday, he thinks Will Smith would be perfect. Just as Nelson Mandela once said the same thing about wanting Morgan Freeman to play him.

MsDaisy December 18, 2009 at 7:53 am #

And you would think that finally getting a chance to have her say in a (supposed) NBC documentary on Obama’s eligibility would cause her to gush with victory, instead they are all gushing with apprehension and paranoia. I think it’s hilarious!

Panic in the Birtherverse

Greg December 18, 2009 at 11:40 am #

As a note, it looks like the Hawaii Department of Health got tired of me clicking on their website looking for their DOH regulations pertaining to the Vital Statistics. They have now posted a marked up version of their DOH regs.

Greg December 18, 2009 at 12:05 pm #

And since the last time I was there, they’ve put a FAQ related specifically to Obama.

DavidH December 21, 2009 at 8:58 am #

No, intellectual conservative is not an oxymoron. I am a conservative and I think the birthers are nuts. To broadly paint any group, be it conservative, liberals or racial minorities, is intellectually dishonest.

I think that this site is helping conservatives because it is burying the birther movement. The sooner Taitz and company go away, the better.

misha December 21, 2009 at 1:50 pm #

“To broadly paint any group, be it conservative, liberals or racial minorities, is intellectually dishonest.”

It is not dishonest to point out that Buckley once talked about getting rid of the kooks. Well, they are back, and are here to stay.

Limbaugh: “The NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it.”

“The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies.”

The fact is, the conservative movement is a haven for white nationalists, theocrats, anti-Semites, and assorted other kooks. Rockefeller Republicans have become fed up, and simply left. You can defend Coulter all you want, I will not budge from my contention she is an anti-Semite. The right to life mob is hostile to science, and their real goal is outlawing birth control. Before Operation Rescue, Randall Terry made his living selling used cars. And then there is the clinic violence. Conservatives tsk-tsk in public, but are pleased in private.

Those threatening clinics are not defending a fetus. They are trying to intimidate women’s emancipation. And the neocons are nuts for getting into bed with anti-Semites.

Dr. Conspiracy December 21, 2009 at 3:03 pm #

If this web site helps the resurgence of an intellectual conservative movement, then I think we are all better off for it.

But I was just reading a conservative newspaper editorial that basically said, let’s get put away this birther nonsense and debate the real issues of importance like health care. He then went on to launch into a series of factoids about health care, pretty much on par with the conspiracy theories we discuss here.

The modern Republican party has played to the Joe the Plumber voters so often that they now have a long way to go to build any kind of an intellectually honest conservative alternative.

misha December 21, 2009 at 3:11 pm #

Sarah Palin is the antithesis of intellectual honesty. She panders to the lowest common denominator.