More backtracking by conservative candidates

It seems to me that every time I turn around some conservative candidate for office is letting slip some birther or other crank view about Barack Obama, and then retracting it. It appears that despite the poll numbers showing significant parts of the population think Barack Obama is a Muslim born in Kenya, this is not a position likely to help a candidate. The most recent example is David J. DiPietro, candidate for the New York State Senate:

“Barack Obama is a Muslim,” said DiPietro, former East Aurora mayor. “I don’t like the president. I think he’s a Muslim. I think he’s a foreigner to our nation. I oppose every principle he stands for.”

He later said he spoke in the heat of the moment and apologized if he sounded offensive.

“He says he’s a Christian,” DiPietro said, referring to Obama. “Until that’s proven otherwise, I’ll take him at his word. I’m not going to question anyone’s religion. Your faith is your faith. I don’t question anyone’s faith. I just would like honesty with all his policies.”

Buffalo News

54 Responses to More backtracking by conservative candidates

Majority Will October 18, 2010 at 8:39 am #

“He says he’s a Christian,” DiPietro said, referring to Obama. “Until that’s proven otherwise, I’ll take him at his word. I’m not going to question anyone’s religion.”

And yet, he just did.

Weasel words.

Judge Mental October 18, 2010 at 9:41 am #

Yet more proof, if any were needed, that being cranially challenged is no bar to a potential career in US Politics.

Dave October 18, 2010 at 10:34 am #

At the risk of making myself tiresome, I feel the need to point out that “the poll numbers showing significant parts of the population think Barack Obama is a Muslim born in Kenya…” is generally quite misinterpreted as evidence that there are lots of birthers. It certainly natural for those of us who spend too much time following the birthers to automatically identify anyone who says that the President was born in Kenya as a wingnut/birther crank. Newspapers like this interpretation because it’s more newsy, and birther of course like it because it makes them feel more numerous. But it is quite likely that most of those people don’t know and/or care that being born in Kenya would make him ineligible.

SvenMagnussen October 18, 2010 at 10:35 am #

Birther comes out swinging for fences.

obsolete October 18, 2010 at 10:48 am #

SvenMagnussen: Birther comes out swinging for fences.

A birther has never hit anything better than a foul ball to date.

Dave October 18, 2010 at 10:57 am #

SvenMagnussen: Massachusetts Republican, Bill Hudak, put out his first television ad in his race against incumbent Rep. John Tierney. Hudak attacks the Democrat for his wife’s guilty plea for aiding and abetting the filing of false tax returns.Birther comes out swinging for fences.

Looks to me more like “grasping at straws.” Hudak can’t win, but he seems to be bravely doing what he can to hurt the GOP in the process.

misha October 18, 2010 at 11:22 am #

United States Constitution, Article VI, paragraph 3, states:

“no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States”

Lupin October 18, 2010 at 11:36 am #

Dave: Looks to me more like “grasping at straws.”

Actually, more like grasping at razor blades. 🙂

Majority Will October 18, 2010 at 11:47 am #

obsolete:
    A birther has never hit anything better than a foul ball to date.

They’ve never connected with the ball as far as I know.

Something about lack of approach and unable to stand.

Rickey October 18, 2010 at 11:58 am #

His opening salvo is to attack his opponent’s wife? How pathetic.

Majority Will October 18, 2010 at 12:02 pm #

Rickey:
    His opening salvo is to attack his opponent’s wife? How pathetic.

Hudak has also lied about not being a birther. Typical fright wing hypocrisy.

He certainly hasn’t recanted as far I know and obviously other birthers
    (Sven is at least twenty of them by himself) still think he holds true to the mental disease of birtherism.

Black Lion October 18, 2010 at 12:10 pm #

Jesse Ventura: Sarah Palin Is ‘A Quitter,’ ‘Unqualified’

Former Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura had harsh words for his fellow former Governor Sarah Palin recently, when he called her an “unqualified” “quitter” who had “screw[ed] the people of Alaska.”

Talking to Fancast, the one-time professional wrestler and Independent-turned-conspiracy-theorist said that Sarah Palin was the reason he couldn’t get behind the Tea Party movement.

“Anybody that would put Sarah Palin to the top of their list will never get me,” Ventura told Fancast about the former vice presidential candidate. “She’s a quitter…She quit in the middle of her term. That’s the contract you have with the voters.”

Ventura was then asked about his opinions about her political career before she decided to resign the governorship last summer:

“I felt she was completely unqualified. I had more qualifications than she did. I had served as a mayor of a town [Brooklyn Park, Minn.] of 60,000 – hers [Wasilla, Alaska] was 10,000. I had served as governor for two years when everybody wanted me to run for president in 2000, and I said I’m not prepared to be the president. I haven’t even completed office as a governor yet. Now, she never completed her office as governor. She didn’t even get two years in hardly! And she quit to get money. Jesus, how do people not see that! She saw greener pastures, said, Screw the people of Alaska, and went on to collect.

Though such harsh criticism of Palin would be atypical for most conservatives, Ventura has shown that he’s not afraid to go against the grain of his former party.

Ventura vehemently railed against waterboarding in 2009, calling it torture and going as far as to say he would exact the practice on former Vice President Dick Cheney.

He also traded barbs with Sean Hannity on the issue, and claimed that he would get him to say “Barack Obama is the greatest president” given a chance to waterboard him.

The former governor also once called George W. Bush the “worst president in my lifetime,” though Ventura’s firm belief that 9/11 was an inside job could probably have something to do with that.

Mike October 18, 2010 at 12:37 pm #

JohnC October 18, 2010 at 12:44 pm #

Bovril October 18, 2010 at 12:45 pm #

Majority Will October 18, 2010 at 12:51 pm #

JohnC: “He says he’s a Christian,” DiPietro said, referring to Obama. “Until that’s proven otherwise, I’ll take him at his word.”That has a ring similar to when a suspected criminal is told by the police, “technically you’re innocent until proven guilty under the law.”

For DiPietro to imply that someone is allegedly any religion is despicable.

It’s as bad as Christians questioning whether another Christian is truly Christian.
    Or the questioning of anyone’s religion for that matter. It’s a private choice and belief.

Mike October 18, 2010 at 1:16 pm #

Bovril: Ah but Mike, look on it as a method of innoculation against insanity…”What doesn’t kill shall make you stronger”…..8-)

AnotherBird October 18, 2010 at 1:39 pm #

SvenMagnussen: Birther comes out swinging for fences.

Yes, swing for the fences. I hope that no birther pulls a muscle as they miss the ball yet again. The first trick is for birthers to open their eyes.

AnotherBird October 18, 2010 at 1:39 pm #

AnotherBird:

… However the reality is that once they do they wouldn’t be birthers.

Bovril October 18, 2010 at 1:47 pm #

Mike: Yeah, sure, but there’s a limit; and besides, what doesn’t kill you can cripple you. I might catch something that my mental immune system isn’t prepared for!

In that case just avoid any posts by Squeeky, the rest are mostly just hate filled bigotry and serve simply to remind us, one and all, of the darkness that can lurk in the dank corners of the Inter-Tubes.

misha October 18, 2010 at 2:40 pm #

Sort of OT: Sharron Angle is a Tenther: We support the Liberty Amendment. The Liberty Amendment will compel the Federal Government to halt its unconstitutional programs such as foreign aid and welfare. It will prohibit the financing of the New World Order with American taxes. It will abolish the Marxist graduated income tax…

SvenMagnussen October 18, 2010 at 3:26 pm #

Dave: Tierney

Typical Obot response from Tierney …

Tierney was indignant at the suggestion that he should have known about a $7 million account that his wife, Patrice, pleaded guilty to managing for her brother, a fugitive indicted on charges of illegal gambling and money laundering. Tierney denies knowing anything.

Apparently he was too busy persuading his elderly mother-in-law to contribute $4,800 to his campaign while she was receiving money from the bank account allegedly funded with illegal gambling money that her son made from an offshore betting operation.

Since when is coincidence a crime?

Dave October 18, 2010 at 4:05 pm #

SvenMagnussen:

misha October 18, 2010 at 4:12 pm #

SvenMagnussen: Hudak attacks the Democrat for his wife’s guilty plea for aiding and abetting the filing of false tax returns.

Sven: one of the few times I sympathize with you. My cat has been stealing from the pantry.

Majority Will October 18, 2010 at 4:48 pm #

Dave:
    I quote this part because this seems to be where you attempt to generate some connection between Tierney and his wife’s crime. I presume you’re saying that his mother in law made a maximum contribution to his campaign, and that she was getting money from her son. The first would be a matter of public record, the second I will give you the benefit of the doubt, because I can’t be bothered to check. But let’s be honest, you just made up the part about him persuading his mother in law to contribute, didn’t you?Which leaves us with the fact that even if it were all true, including the “persuading,” it still amounts to nothing.Hudak’s attack on his opponent’s wife will accomplish nothing except tarnishing the GOP’s image. He certainly isn’t going to win the election.

“But let’s be honest, you just made up the part about him persuading his mother in law to contribute, didn’t you?”

That’s consistent with birthers and pathological liars. They can’t resist.

FUTTHESHUCKUP October 19, 2010 at 12:13 am #

These nutjobs are just trying to give the birfoons the impression that if they get their votes, they will boot Obama out of office because of his birth certificate. No matter how they backtrack, the birfoons will still believe the “secret message” that was sent to them by these candidates, and they will vote for them. If, by chance, they do get elected, it won’t be long before the birfoons will be calling them “traitors.”

ellid October 19, 2010 at 10:31 am #

SvenMagnussen:
    Typical Obot response from Tierney …

Typical Sven stupidity, since he’s ignoring the facts:

– John Tierney has been part of the Massachusetts congressional delegation since 1997, long before President Obama was more than a state senator and part-time law professor.

– Hudak disavowed his birtherism in a debate less than a week ago, and made a video strongly disavowing birtherism back in August. It’s a non-issue in Massachusetts and he knows it.

– Tierney’s wife isn’t running for Congress.

– The only poll that shows Hudak close to Tierney, even with Mrs. Tierney’s legal problems, is one by Hudak himself that shows him one point behind among independents. Hudak refused to release the rest of the poll, no reason given, but a non-Hudak poll showed Tierney up by seven points among likely voters.

In short, wrong again. Anyone surprised?

SvenMagnussen October 19, 2010 at 11:10 am #

ellid:
    Typical Sven stupidity, since he’s ignoring the facts:- John Tierney has been part of the Massachusetts congressional delegation since 1997, long before President Obama was more than a state senator and part-time law professor.- Hudak disavowed his birtherism in a debate less than a week ago, and made a video strongly disavowing birtherism back in August.It’s a non-issue in Massachusetts and he knows it.- Tierney’s wife isn’t running for Congress.- The only poll that shows Hudak close to Tierney, even with Mrs. Tierney’s legal problems, is one by Hudak himself that shows him one point behind among independents.Hudak refused to release the rest of the poll, no reason given, but a non-Hudak poll showed Tierney up by seven points among likely voters.In short, wrong again.Anyone surprised?

Republicans Obama’s Stupidity put 99 Democrat-held House seats in danger

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1010/43814.html#ixzz12okVTNPF

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bwarny Frank lost his seat.

Greg October 19, 2010 at 1:10 pm #

SvenMagnussen: Obama’s Stupidity put 99 Democrat-held House seats in danger

The party in power always loses seats in an off-year.

Secretive republican groups have spend more than $130 million to defeat democrats, as much as was spent in total in the last off-year election.

Not sure how this is Obama’s stupidity.

SvenMagnussen: I wouldn’t be surprised if Bwarny Frank lost his seat.

Mocking his lisp? Nice. Classy.

Black Lion October 19, 2010 at 2:09 pm #

Mike: Ow, BL. You have to stop posting links to GretaWire. It’s like the Platonic ideal of stupidity over there.

Mike, I know…But everytime I think the birthers can’t get any more dumb, racist, or ignorant, one posts somehing there to make me rethink that statement…

Bovril October 19, 2010 at 3:02 pm #

I won’t post the link……8-) but the stupid is VERY strong.

I love me my poking

richCares October 19, 2010 at 3:21 pm #

conservative are “inherently” better workers
    actually the opposite, conservatives tend to blame others for their actions, they almost always complain about upper management.(like they always blame liberals), generally they tend to “dead-end” in jobs. They can’t seem to handle responsibility. Especially the Rush fans, Rush blames other always!

Black Lion October 19, 2010 at 4:11 pm #

GOP Congressional Candidate Tim Walberg: We Could Impeach Obama Over Birth Certificate

Former U.S. Rep. Tim Walberg (R-Mich.) is taking birtherism to a new extreme. Walberg, who’s running for his old seat, said at a town hall event this week that President Obama could be impeached for not showing his birth certificate to a group of people including Rush Limbaugh.

Walberg: “Well, I’m going to take him at his word that he’s an American citizen. I don’t know why it’s not resolved, other than the fact that the President hasn’t resolved it yet… I mean, if I had to do it, I’d just simply — of course, I had to show my birth certificate in order to be on the ballot. But if I were gonna do it, I’d call Rush Limbaugh, Alan Colmes, Nancy Pelosi, Mitch McConnell and maybe one justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. Call ’em all into a room and lay out my birth certificate on the table.

“And maybe it’s for personal reasons. I don’t want the numbers to be shown to the media or whatever else. But say, now all of you take a look at it. Tell me what you find. Now go and report it. Have it done with. . . . But the fact of the matter is that the Executive has an awful lot of power to keep from showing certain things unless the courts will stand up to him. Or unless Congress, in majority, will stand up — up to and including impeachment. And the Republicans don’t have the majority.”

Walberg is in a close race in Michigan’s 7th congressional district against U.S. Rep. Mark Schauer (D-Battle Creek).

This was not Walberg’s first brush with birtherism. In September, Walberg said on a Michigan radio call-in show that he “really didn’t know” if Obama was a citizen. He later said he “took the president at his word” that he was.

FUTTHESHUCKUP October 19, 2010 at 4:11 pm #

Bovril: I won’t post the link……8-) but the stupid is VERY strong.Classic of the moment is one idiot, who says he owns an alcohol and drug testing company, based out of CA.His mandatory criteria for employees is that he checks there party registration and will only keep registered “Conservatives” on payroll as they are “inherently” better workers.When I pointed out that CA law explicitly forbids this activity (statutes quoted) and also that if he does any work for either Fed Gove or most states he can’t do it I get the “You don’t know what employment at will is poopy head”Explaining that employment at will and discrimination lawsuits ain’t the same does not sit well.
    Further explaining that if an employee sucessfully sued him (hard to fail as he posted it for all to see) it would mean no Fed Gov and probably no state gov contracts and most actual companies would shy away from the bad publicity does not make for a happy moment.I love me my poking

Bovril October 19, 2010 at 4:27 pm #

BL’s the nicer one, I’m the nastier one….>8-) although Foggy has been letting his inner beast rip a bit as well.

I personally put it down to BL and I being two of the, “Take no prisoners Manhattan Crew”.

Black Lion October 19, 2010 at 4:35 pm #

FUTTHESHUCKUP: I just wanted to say that you guys are doing an excellent job over there. I’ve been there for three years now dealing with the birfoons mostly all by myself, and it hasn’t been easy dealing with 5 or 6 of them at one time., especially when the only thing they do is insult you and call you names. Thanks for your knowledge, talent, and presence.

Fut, no problem. right now they are bringing up the same Vattel crap. They will never learn. Do you use the same handle over there?

FUTTHESHUCKUP October 19, 2010 at 4:38 pm #

Black Lion:
    Fut, no problem. right now they are bringing up the same Vattel crap.They will never learn. Do you use the same handle over there?

Usually, Lion. But I only do that if I post my {{{Update}}}}. I didn’t post it yet today so I’m using GOP FULL O NUTS

FUTTHESHUCKUP October 19, 2010 at 4:43 pm #

I usually start my own threads there, Lion, because they get a charge of us bumping up their threads so that their incendiary titles are always visible on the board. They feel that if they keep their titles up top, they’re gaining something.

Whatever4 October 19, 2010 at 4:48 pm #

SvenMagnussen: I wouldn’t be surprised if Bwarny Frank lost his seat.

Here in MA, that’s Bahney Frank.

ellid October 19, 2010 at 4:48 pm #

SvenMagnussen:
    Republicans Obama’s Stupidity put 99 Democrat-held House seats in dangerRead more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1010/43814.html#ixzz12okVTNPFI wouldn’t be surprised if Bwarny Frank lost his seat.

And this article mentions Tierney where?

Sorry, but a generic article from a right-leaning web site is proof of nothing except your ability to cut and paste.

ellid October 19, 2010 at 5:01 pm #

And as for Barney Frank – his internals have him up by 24 over his challenger, while his challenger has the gap at 10 points two weeks before Election Day.

ellid October 19, 2010 at 5:02 pm #

Whatever4:
    Here in MA, that’s Bahney Frank.

Which part of Massachusetts?

SvenMagnussen October 19, 2010 at 5:04 pm #

Greg:
    The party in power always loses seats in an off-year.
    Not sure how this is Obama’s stupidity.Mocking his lisp? Nice. Classy.

I have a spelling handicap. Your sensitivity underwhelms me.

I’ve asked Doc for a reasonable accommodation (3 nights and 4 days at the Aria in LV) and nuthin’. I think the word is ‘cheapskate’.

Dave October 19, 2010 at 8:24 pm #

Sven’s mention of that Politico story “Republicans put 99 Democrat-held House seats in danger” reminds me of a current epidemic disease of journalists, which can be best illustrated by the following facts. 538 is currently quoting the probability of a GOP majority in the House at 73%, and the probability of the Dems retaining control of the Senate at 83%. But somehow, in the news, this 73% chance of losing the House translates into certainty, while the 83% chance of keeping the Senate does not translate into certainty — instead the story is that the Dems might lose the Senate. That is, the reporters just want to talk about things changing, because things staying the same just doesn’t seem so much like news.

Dr. Conspiracy October 19, 2010 at 9:08 pm #

SvenMagnussen: I’ve asked Doc for a reasonable accommodation (3 nights and 4 days at the Aria in LV) and nuthin’. I think the word is cheapskate’.

Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (the “ADA”)(1) requires an employer(2) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment, unless to do so would cause undue hardship. “In general, an accommodation is any change in the work environment or in the way things are customarily done that enables an individual with a disability to enjoy equal employment opportunities.”.

I would argue that someone with a spelling disability can already enjoy full use of this blog using the tools built into most web browsers.

Dr. Conspiracy October 19, 2010 at 9:14 pm #

Bovril: His mandatory criteria for employees is that he checks there party registration and will only keep registered “Conservatives” on payroll as they are “inherently” better workers.

I had a boss once who wanted to hire some Mormons because he thought they would be harder workers.

What I have found over the years is that race, gender, religion, national origin, height, weight, age and sexual orientation are useless at predicting job performance (except that Lutherans are all above average).

ellid October 19, 2010 at 11:59 pm #

SvenMagnussen:
    I have a spelling handicap. Your sensitivity underwhelms me.

Majority Will October 20, 2010 at 12:41 am #

Ellid rocks.

ellid October 20, 2010 at 7:38 am #

Majority Will: Ellid rocks.

I do my best, MW.

Dr Kenneth Noisewater (Bob Ross) October 20, 2010 at 8:55 am #

ellid: Oh, Sven? The current polls have Barney Frank leading Sean Bielat by 19 points with two weeks to go. Just thought you should know.

Silly Ellid you assume Sven lives on the same plane of reality as the rest of the world

Whatever4 October 20, 2010 at 10:23 am #

ellid: Which part of Massachusetts?

Bahstan, in the Fenway Pahk Naybahood

ellid October 20, 2010 at 1:55 pm #

Whatever4:
    Bahstan, in the Fenway Pahk Naybahood

Easthampton, near Mount Tom.

James M October 20, 2010 at 8:23 pm #

Oppose *everything* he stands for? Everything? Really?
    So for starters you don’t think your daughters should be permitted to attend school?

Not only do you not oppose everything he stands for, if a President with your approval did pretty much *all the same things* you would not have the same opposition.

Black Lion October 24, 2010 at 6:38 pm #

GOP congressional candidate says violent overthrow of government is ‘on the table’

WASHINGTON — Texas Republican congressional candidate Stephen Broden stunned his party Thursday, saying he would not rule out violent overthrow of the government if elections did not produce a change in leadership.

In a rambling exchange during a TV interview, Broden, a South Dallas pastor, said a violent uprising “is not the first option,” but it is “on the table.” That drew a quick denunciation from the head of the Dallas County GOP, who called the remarks “inappropriate.”

Broden, a first-time candidate, is challenging veteran incumbent Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson in Dallas’ heavily Democratic 30th Congressional District. Johnson’s campaign declined to comment on Broden.

In the interview, Brad Watson, political reporter for WFAA-TV, asked Broden about a “tea party” event last year in Fort Worth in which he described the nation’s government as tyrannical.

“We have a constitutional remedy,” Broden said then. “And the Framers say if that don’t work, revolution.”

Watson asked if his definition of revolution included violent overthrow of the government. In a prolonged back-and-forth, Broden at first declined to explicitly address insurrection, saying the first way to deal with a repressive government is to “alter it or abolish it.”

“If the government is not producing the results or has become destructive to the ends of our liberties, we have a right to get rid of that government and to get rid of it by any means necessary,” Broden said, adding the nation was founded on a violent revolt against Britain’s King George III.

Watson asked if violence would be in option in 2010, under the current government.

“The option is on the table. I don’t think that we should remove anything from the table as it relates to our liberties and our freedoms,” Broden said, without elaborating. “However, it is not the first option.”

Jonathan Neerman, head of the Dallas County Republican Party, said he has never heard Broden or other local Republican candidates advocate violence against the government.

“It is a disappointing, isolated incident,” Neerman said. He said he plans to discuss the matter with Broden’s campaign.

Ken Emanuelson, a Broden supporter and leading tea party organizer in Dallas, said he did not disagree with the “philosophical point” that people had the right to resist a tyrannical government.

But, he said, “Do I see our government today anywhere close to that point? No, I don’t.”

Emanuelson said he’s occasionally heard people call for direct action against the government, but that they typically do not get involved in electoral politics.

That Broden is “engaged in the election and running for office shows he’s got faith in the system as it is,” Emanuelson said.

Also in the interview, Broden backed away from other controversial statements he has made at rallies and on cable news appearances.

In June 2009, he described the economic crash in the housing, banking and automotive industries as “contrived” and a “set up” by the Obama administration.

Asked Thursday about the validity of these, Broden said they were “authentic crises facing this nation.” Broden also retreated from other remarks last year that chided Americans for not being more outraged over government intrusion, comparing them to Jews “walking into the furnaces” under the Nazi regime in Germany.

“They are our enemies, and we must resist them,” he said of government leaders.

Broden said Thursday that he wasn’t trying to compare President Barack Obama to Hitler and he mistakenly linked the U.S. in 2010 to Nazi Germany.

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/10/22/102475/gop-congressional-candidate-says.html#ixzz13JmfiGaq