Moderation changes

I should have learned my lesson two decades ago, that naive keyword-based censorship doesn’t work. A fair number of comments have gone into moderation recently as the result of my attempts to control long off-topic threads and other uncivil remarks. In think that in every case, I approved the comment.

So as of now, I have removed most of the moderation filtering. The only thing that remains is some cuss words and all the banned commenters. I have also relaxed the number of URL’s allowed to the point that no one should have a comment moderated for that reason.

9 Responses to Moderation changes

Majority Will May 3, 2011 at 5:13 pm #

“A little more moderation would be good. Of course, my life hasn’t exactly been one of moderation.”
    – Donald Trump

Slartibartfast May 3, 2011 at 5:53 pm #

By the way, can you do a George Carlin impression? (By which I mean, can you tell us what the words that you can’t say at Doc C’s are?)

Dr. Conspiracy May 3, 2011 at 10:06 pm #

Slartibartfast: As someone who has been skirting the edge of incivility at the very least and who has recently forsworn any ability I might have once had to conceal my contempt of the birthers and their dishonest tactics, thanks. I promise not to go careening off-topic.

Focus on the concept of “bemusement.”

Dr. Conspiracy May 3, 2011 at 10:29 pm #

Slartibartfast:

If you steer clear of the words in HR 3687 and refrain from cursing the deity, you will be fine. My list is a little shorter, but as Carlin said of the word “turd,” “You can say ‘turd” but who would want to?”

gorefan May 4, 2011 at 2:16 am #

Booger is ok, right

Slartibartfast May 4, 2011 at 2:31 am #

I bet you they won’t play this song on the radio,
    I bet you they won’t play this new $%^& song.
    It’s not that it’s **** or #$*&^&* controversial
    It’s just that the @*% words are awfully strong.

You can’t say ^&*@ on the radio,
    Or $@#! or ^&*% or §*%*
    You can’t even say I’d like to ?:”* you someday
    Unless you’re a doctor with a really large ~!*%

So I bet you they won’t play this song on the radio
    I bet you they don’t *&% well program it.
    I bet you those &*(#ing old program directors
    Will think it’s a load of horse $&!#

Just checking…

Slartibartfast May 4, 2011 at 2:35 am #

Dr. Conspiracy: If you steer clear of the words in HR 3687 and refrain from cursing the deity, you will be fine. My list is a little shorter, but as Carlin said of the word “turd,” “You can say turd” but who would want to?”

Thanks Doc. I would note, however, that when you’re dealing with Mikey N and Mikey R (Flying Spaghetti Monster damn them [with his noodlely appendage]) the temptation to use the word ‘turd’ can sometimes be very strong…

Northland10 May 4, 2011 at 6:22 am #

“Moderation in all things, including moderation.”

Attributed to many, many sources (Mark Tawain, Benjamin Franklin, Petronis, et al.).

Dr. Conspiracy May 4, 2011 at 8:32 am #

I thought it hugely ironic that someone would introduce a bill that would make it illegal to discuss the bill on TV.