A walk in the park

Today Ms. Conspiracy and I took a day trip to Charlotte, North Carolina, to attend the Festival in the Park. It’s a big gathering with music, funnel cakes, dancing (both ballet and belly), funnel cakes, arts and crafts vendors, funnel cakes, tables for local volunteer organizations and funnel cakes1. It was a little bit hot, but I had my Dr. Conspiracy hat on and enjoyed the afternoon.

Freedom_Park

If I had known what was going to happen, I would have take more photos.

As I was walking back to my car on the way home I was approached by a man probably around 60 years old, thin and bearded carrying a sign on a pole. I glanced at the sign and saw it was the usual Obama, socialist, destroying America thing. He tried to give me a little pamphlet. I gestured “no” but as I was passing him I thought I would pull his chain, and I said: “I’m one of those socialist liberal communists they warn you about.” (I am not really a socialist or a communist,  but I was messing with him.) Then I heard a voice from behind me saying “I’m with YOU.” I turned to see a man impeccably dressed in upscale leisure attire, about 40 years of age, with his wife and child. Then he said that the only way we would get out of the economic mess was to re-elect Obama.

1Funnel Cake:

15 Responses to A walk in the park

Thrifty September 22, 2012 at 9:11 pm #

Sounds interesting. If the weather down there in Charlotte was anything like it is up here in Delaware for the past few weeks, it would have been perfect. Let me ask you this though: Did they have funnel cakes?

Dr. Conspiracy September 22, 2012 at 9:56 pm #

Thanks for asking. Yes they did, and I indulged in one.

Thrifty: Did they have funnel cakes?

Greenfinches September 22, 2012 at 10:26 pm #

Paper September 22, 2012 at 10:29 pm #

How much fun would a funnel cake funnel if a funnel cake could funnel fun?

donna September 22, 2012 at 10:32 pm #

doc: you might want to change “hard” a voice to heard

hope you had a wonderful day – sounds like it – what did ms doc conspiracy say about the confrontation?

did they serve “dough boys/fried dough”

Sudoku September 23, 2012 at 3:12 am #

Well, looky there, spontaneous sanity and funnel cakes in Charlotte!

Dr. Conspiracy September 23, 2012 at 7:50 am #

Greenfinches: Now I am puzzled….never even heard of them. It seems, Doc, that you would say I am missing something – but what????

JPotter September 23, 2012 at 10:04 am #

donna: did they serve “dough boys/fried dough”

Funnel cakes are a form of fried dough ….

Greenfinches: Now I am puzzled….never even heard of them.

donna September 23, 2012 at 10:49 am #

JPotter:

funnel cakes are different since they care from a cake mix/batter – we have them in the northeast too

dough/boys/fried dough is an italian thing and served at fairs here but began at italian feasts like the feast of st gennaro we just had in ny

it is a yeast dough

i serve them for breakfast with butter and sprinkled with either confectioners or cinnamon sugar

at fairs/feasts they are served with tomato sauce etc

Andrew Vrba, PmG September 23, 2012 at 11:54 am #

With tomato sauce? That’s blasphemy.

Stanislaw September 23, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

JPotter: Funnel cakes are a form of fried dough ….

And/or strawberry or chocolate syrup. Funnel cakes, plus football and the fair are just a few of the many reasons why fall is my favorite season!

Greenfinches September 23, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

thanks all for the information on funnel cakes!

I confess to a liking for churros, which must be similar, but they seem to be a working man’s dish and are hard to find in the parts of Spain I reach……

JPotter September 23, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

donna: dough/boys/fried dough is an italian thing and served at fairs

Nope, definitely not happening here! And, unfortunately, the fact that it exists in the northeast is in itself all the justification needed to shun it.

Closest thing would be breadsticks at the pizza place. LOL

G September 23, 2012 at 9:49 pm #

We always have funnel cake vendors at all of our fairs up here too… so it is not just a southern thing.

JPotter: Funnel cakes? It’s a southern thing (as are all things fried!), a staple of fairs and football games. Served here with an unhealthy coating of powdered sugar.

donna September 23, 2012 at 10:09 pm #

JPotter:

shun it? NOT UNTIL you tried it

when i ask weekend guests what they would like for breakfast, doughboys (the breakfast kind) are frequently requested for one of the mornings