The great obsession

Call me Dr. Conspiracy

Moby Dick drawingToday is the 161st anniversary of the publication of that classic tale of obsession, Moby Dick, one man against a great white whale, literally a man against a force of nature.

Our own destructive tale of obsession is Orly Taitz against the great black President, Barack Obama. Taitz herself has said of her quest:

My financial, physical and emotional resources are depleted.

Most recently, she hinted that she is having to take money out of her retirement account [link to Taitz web site].

Orly Taitz is set for her great battle this coming Monday. It will be, I think, the first time Taitz has ever tried a case with defense counsel present. Judge Reid is a stickler for the rules. It cannot go well. Ironically, Barack Obama is not even a defendant in this case. Orly may be sunk with the whale not even showing up.

Critics have said that the crew of Capt. Ahab’s ship represented a microcosm of America. Perhaps the birther movement and it’s opponents also represent a microcosm of America—something to muse upon while gazing into the fireplace in a cold winter’s evening.

28 Responses to The great obsession

aarrgghh October 18, 2012 at 10:34 pm #

birfistan itself is a perfect microcosm of the conservative movement.

misha marinsky October 18, 2012 at 11:12 pm #

It was a dark and stormy night.

Call me schlemiel Orly Ishmael.

misha marinsky October 18, 2012 at 11:15 pm #

“Let’s hope this modern tale ends better.”

I don’t. Several people in Philly have shouted at me “Orly Taitz is Jewish.” Thanks.

JPotter October 18, 2012 at 11:24 pm #

“… on a cold winter’s evening.” Great imagery, Doc!

So …. when Captain Taitz lays bare her chest mortar and bursts her heart’s shell upon it [the whale {Obama}] … how will the Secret Service react?

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil, to crazy [Taitz], were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in [Obama]. He piled upon the [President’s non-]white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole [white] race from Adam down; and then, as if [her] chest had been a mortar, [s]he burst [her icy] heart’s shell upon it.

— Moby Dick, Herman Melville (mostly)

Perhaps, in Taitz’s mind, if victory eludes her, she will at least have the hope of pursuing Obama forever …..

Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering [Kenyan socialist]; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell’s heart I stab at thee; for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee. Sink all coffins and all hearses to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, though tied to thee, thou damned [usurper]! Thus, I give up the [bar]!

— Moby Dick, Herman Melville (somewhat)

Dream on, Orlequin.

JPotter October 18, 2012 at 11:29 pm #

“Ahab lost all but one of his crew, his ship, and eventually his life in his quest. Let’s hope this modern tale ends better.”

Bearing in mind your past musing on the links between the taint of birtherism and personal destruction, coupled with general knowledge of the power of habit, obsession, and addiction …. it’s a very faint hope, Doc. Very good of you to hold it out.

The best thing for Taitz would be to fade into obscurity, relative isolation that would force her to discover what (if anything) is left of herself. It’s never to late to stop short of oblivion!

JPotter October 18, 2012 at 11:33 pm #

She just posted, rather amusingly:

I need help with the blog. Most of my supporters have hard time posting, on the other hand I see mostly comments by obots posting under different made up names. I will need help in solving this problem, though currently I am concentrating on Indiana

And I just noticed her “disclaimer”:

The articles posted represent only the opinion of the writers, do not necessarily represent the opinion of Dr. Taitz, Esq. Dr. Taitz, Esq. has no means of checking the veracity of all the claims and allegations in the articles.

Trying to square these two …. uhhh, what “other” writers? Taitz is warning us she isn’t responsible for what she types? LOL!

Northland10 October 18, 2012 at 11:45 pm #

“I’ll chase him round 9th Circuit, and round the Georgia Administrative Court and round the Kansas Objection Board, and round perdition’s flames before I give him up.”

Thomas Brown October 18, 2012 at 11:56 pm #

I always thought Birtherism was the Great White Wail.

JPotter October 19, 2012 at 12:01 am #

Moby Birf or Birfer Dick?

Thomas Brown: I always thought Birtherism was the Great White Wail.

Thomas Brown for the win! Brilliant, sir. If I wore a hat, you wouldn’t know it at the moment.

Benji Franklin October 19, 2012 at 1:09 am #

Doc,

Moby Dick supplies us with a quotation summing up Joseph Farah’s appalling contribution to Yellow Journalism:

“It is the easiest thing in the world for a man to look as if he had a great secret in him.”

RuhRoh October 19, 2012 at 7:03 am #

Orly says that she has seven witnesses in addition to the three stooges. I’m guessing Strunk, Daniels, Vogt and Papa. Can’t recall who else has previously testified on her behalf, although the GA transcript would probably tell me.

Won’t she be surprised when they don’t get to testify, or what little testimony they do give is immediately torn to shreds.

Dr. Conspiracy October 19, 2012 at 8:34 am #

Orly’s witnesses in Georgia were:

David Farrar (plaintiff)
    Chris Strunk
    Susan Daniels
    Felicito Papa
    Linda Jordan
    Douglas Vogt
    John Sampson
    Orly Taitz

RuhRoh:
    Orly says that she has seven witnesses in addition to the three stooges.I’m guessing Strunk, Daniels, Vogt and Papa. Can’t recall who else has previously testified on her behalf, although the GA transcript would probably tell me.

RuhRoh October 19, 2012 at 8:40 am #

Thanks, Doc!

Dr. Conspiracy October 19, 2012 at 8:47 am #

Taitz says she filed a motion for default judgment because defendants have not answered here second amended complaint. I assume it’s not operative without the court’s approval.

RuhRoh: The Indiana docket shows that a motion to dismiss was filed yesterday in IN. Haven’t seen the documentyet, though I am sure the fine folks at TFB are working on posting it.

RuhRoh October 19, 2012 at 8:57 am #

Didn’t she base the time limits for a response on her idea of when she actually served the defendants? I don’t think Orly has ever managed to serve a defendant, so her estimates of timelines in which to respond are probably miscalculated.

realist October 19, 2012 at 9:00 am #

Dr. Conspiracy: Judge Reid is a stickler for the rules. It cannot go well.

Actually, they have answered (filed on the 18th). In addition, they were given an enlargement of time to answer to today, the 19th. Her claim for default (not gonna happen) is that they lied to the court about service to obtain the enlargement of time.

Doc said… “Judge Reid is a stickler for the rules. It cannot go well. ”

If Judge Reid were indeed a stickler for the rules, this case would have been dismissed long ago and this “trial” would definitely not be taking place, based on the state of the pleadings.

Reality Check October 19, 2012 at 9:31 am #

There is not going to be a trial Monday. I think Judge Reid was just sloppy in doing the strike-through on Orly’s POS proposed order. Judge Reid had to strike about 90% of it to get something close to reality. There is an operative motion to dismiss that will have to be ruled upon before getting even close to a “trial”. Regardless, based on Orly’s demeanor on Birther Boyles show yesterday she might have an even more stressful day in Indy Monday.

gorefan October 19, 2012 at 10:35 am #

Dr. Conspiracy: Orly’s witnesses in Georgia were

IIRC, Paul Irey is on the list for Monday.

Dr. Conspiracy October 19, 2012 at 11:18 am #

IANAL, but I she is only declaring default against two defendants, the Elections Commission and the Secretary of State. They were already parties, so new service isn’t required.