Cruel and unusual punishment

While I can greet conspiracy theories with bemusement, and find interest in the psychological underpinning for believing impossible things, there is one part of the birther movement that troubles me deeply, and that is the moral depravity exhibited by some of the birthers.

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

The 8th Amendment to the US Constitution

Compare that to our “patriots” commenting at ObamaReleaseYourRecords:

Ron: id like a front row seat at his hanging. i want to be close enough to hear his neck pop when it breaks and close enough to see him shit his pants and piss all over his self. id get it on my phone cam as a reminder and post it on youtube over and over. Pelosi should be next right after him for her part in this crime. they can do a group hanging for all the treasonous democommies in our government. we the people need to demand this and all you judges who lied and dropped the cases about his criminal actions you all need to spend life behind bars with only a TV channel that plays Obama speeches 24/7 365 days a year that cant be turned off. you all need to live a life of constant Obama running his yap telling lies.

and the reply:

ThomasThePaine: This POS does not deserve a merciful trapdoor… He should be hoisted slowly without any neck snapping.

Let me hasten to say that the first of those two comments has been deleted by the ORYR moderator after a complaint was filed. The second, which exhibits sadistic cruelty, is still there as of this writing.

On my way to church this morning, I saw this car:

BumperSticker-2012-12-30

Note the character urinating on the word “Obama.”

Moral depravity and sadism among the birthers disturbs me as a moral person, but also it makes me afraid, not for myself or for President Obama, but for some innocent third party who might become a target for the frustrated evil of people like these. In this country one can legally own weapons capable of killing dozens of people in minutes, even in hardened locations like police stations and military bases.

Now, with the Internet, deviants can meet and reinforce their own kind. When I remarked at ORYR about the first comment above, saying “That’s truly a vile comment,” I was greeted by the remarkable reply: “Who are you to judge? What are your credentials?” I’m a human being; what else does one need to express moral outrage? Maybe the verbal masturbation of these folks on the Internet satisfies their need for violence. I hope so. I’m just thankful none of them live next door.

Print Friendly

, ,

50 Responses to Cruel and unusual punishment

Andrew Vrba, PmG December 30, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

Garbage like that is why I truly revel in their angst. Its like it physically hurts them that they aren’t getting their way, and that suffering is going to continue over the next four years. They deserve every agonizing second of their self-induced torture.

My father-in-law is a bit of a conspiracy theorist, and even HE thinks birthers are a bunch of loons.

Sef December 30, 2012 at 1:20 pm #

Note that the car is not made by an American company.

Andrew Vrba, PmG December 30, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

Sef:
    Note that the car is not made by an American company.

Oh that is ALMOST as delicious as all of those “Occupy” nuts tweeting about the evils of big business, from their Foxconn manufactured iDevices!

Paper December 30, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

Amen.

donna December 30, 2012 at 1:47 pm #

Sef: Note that the car is not made by an American company.

lol i’m SURE the owner CLAIMS he/she is an “american patriot”

misha marinsky December 30, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

Orly and her ilk are trying to incite someone in that crowd.

I am truly afraid, especially with the proposal to ban certain firearms.

Dr. Conspiracy December 30, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

The car turned in to Walmart.

Sef: Note that the car is not made by an American company.

DaveH December 30, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

Driving their Korean made car to go buy products made in China.

Very patriotic.

The car turned in to Walmart.

Keith December 30, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

Personally, I am most offended by the bumper sticker with the quote from Edward Abbey.

I knew Abbey (well, I met him and his wife twice) and I knew one of the guys that helped bury him.

That quote doesn’t have anything to do with what the car owner thinks it does,

Abbey was more influenced by the socialists in his life (his father) than any of these guys imagine that Obama was influenced by Ayers and he had a fair tolerance for the idea of practical anarchy (and the dangers there-of).

The quote on the bumper sticker refers to his distaste for government sanctioned destruction of the environment. He was much much much more interested in the protection of the environment than peoples political ‘rights’, in fact there are too many damned people for his liking. Too many people put too much pressure on the land – and that was the driving force behind what ever politics he professed.

An anecdote from his book The Monkey Wrench Gang, describes his attitude fairly well for me. The protagonist is driving along a desert dirt road, at night, somewhere in Arizona, drinking beer and throwing the cans out the window. He justifies his littering as ‘decoration’ – its the road that is the real ecological problem here – he is just trying to make an ugly scar on the desert look a bit prettier – see how the cans sparkle in the headlights?

Of course he was, like anyone, complicated. He bought a house in Sabino Canyon near Tucson adding his own little personal endorsement to over development in the area. Sabino Canyon is a small but delightful little park where I used to hike/jog every morning for about 10 years. In the late 70’s (IIRC) Life magazine listed the Seven Falls pools at Sabino (actually in Bear Canyon ‘next door’) as one of the top swimming holes in America.

Of course development means people and people bring pets with them. Pets look like a good source of food to Mountain Lions when there’s a forest fire higher up that denudes the mountain sides and eliminates their natural food supply. Mountain Lions coming down looking for a feed and day-trippers splashing around the streams with their children cause newspapers to freak out and when newspapers freak out, the Feds close parks. They’ve reopened it now, but it was a rather silly overreaction at the time.

Sabino Canyon Mountain Lion information

Edward Abbey would have just said it natures way of reducing the population and encouraged more people to bring their children into the park and leave them there.

Dave B. December 30, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

Dr. Conspiracy: The car turned in to Walmart.

Well, at least you can take some comfort that you didn’t follow them all the way to the church parking lot.

richCares December 30, 2012 at 7:04 pm #

I joined birthermingle.com, and after an extensive profile test, they lined me up with Orly Taitz for a date. Nothing could be more cruel and unusual than that, nothing!
    After further checking, birthermingle.com has only one female member, Orly Taitz. So I just wasted my $800.00 registration fee, maybe john can fix me up.
    For those interested in joining birthermingle, don’t, it’s a total scam, probably run by Orly.

ObiWanCannoli December 30, 2012 at 8:10 pm #

Surprisingly, the domain “birthermingle.com” is available for purchase!

JPotter December 30, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

DaveH:
    Driving their Korean made car to go buy products made in China.

Very patriotic.

So, a wannabe American infidel. Kinda like a keybored warrior ;)

I am most disturbed by the constant abuse and distortion of the character of Calvin. Bill Watterson’s work is masterful. The Calvin pissing meme was stupid when it started, and is really old. Calvin is not Beavis fuh gawd’s sake.

Keith December 30, 2012 at 10:07 pm #

By the way, I didn’t mean that the other BS didn’t offend me, just that I’ve pretty much seen them all before and couldn’t be bothered to work up any further outrage over them.

y_p_w December 30, 2012 at 10:54 pm #

donna:
    Sef: Note that the car is not made by an American company.

lol i’m SURE the owner CLAIMS he/she is an “american patriot”

I’m under the impression that imported firearms are popular among many “patriots” arming themselves for the upcoming revolution. I’ve heard that Glock is the #1 selling handgun brand in the US.

red-diaper baby 1942 December 31, 2012 at 1:14 am #

Doc, you express some relief that the first sadistic comment was withdrawn. Unfortunately, I suspect that the complaints which led to withdrawal weren’t over the despicable content but over the two explicit references to bodily functions. The further on the right someone is, the less comfortable he or she is likely to feel about the fact that we have physical bodies.

Jim F December 31, 2012 at 4:30 am #

Why did you feel the need to block out the licence number? After all, the car owner is proud to display the stickers for everyone to see.

Mary Brown December 31, 2012 at 10:52 am #

Suppose this person has a teen driver in the house or suppose some mentally ill person decided to act. Self discipline is necessary.

JPotter December 31, 2012 at 11:07 am #

Jim F:

Without having a release from the vehicle owner, it’s the conscientous and responsible thing to do. Besides, they may have bought it used and just not gotten around to having them removed *cough*

Dave B. December 31, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

Jim F: Why did you feel the need to block out the licence number?

Because that’s what decent people do. Don’t you remember where you are?

JPotter December 31, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

I saw a truck version of the “Does this ass…” at lunch today. How exciting. Got me thinking, this can’t be a new schtick. And it’s not, quick Google turns up version aimed at various persons. It’s currently trending featuring Obama, a bit of a post-election snit.

This truck I saw wasn’t nearly as impressive as this one:

This idiocy will be with us for a looooong time … as long as there are classless idiots.

I still have a hard time believing bumper stickers exist.

Patrick McKinnion January 1, 2013 at 2:45 am #

Birther Report has always been a bit of a cesspool, and they’ve always lipped off about a revolt (“Dealio” in particular seems to be jonesing for one), but post-election they’ve really dropped any pretense of being anything other than a bunch of sedition-minded racists. And “Rikker” rattled their cages so badly they’re almost showing PTSD issues towards anyone who presents a belief different from theirs.

They’re a lot like Rudy Davis in many respects – post-election, he’s pretty much gone full-fledged racist as well.

That being said, they’re *marginally* better than Dr. Kate or Lame Cherry, and a LOT better than “Freedom Outpost”, where every single birther article has a string of wanna be rebels, racist comments, and outright death threats.

Sef January 1, 2013 at 1:35 pm #

Speaking of vehicles, sometimes I see cars & pickups approaching me while they are driving which have their headlights on. I see no apparent reason for this (bright sunny day, no rain nor funeral nor cop in sight, etc.) I sometimes wonder if they have been listening to someone like limpballs who has told them to drive with their lights on to protest something. Does anyone know if this might be the case?

Dave B. January 1, 2013 at 1:54 pm #

Some people just do it for safety’s sake.

Sef January 1, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

Dave B.:
    Some people just do it for safety’s sake.

I understand that, but this occurs only infrequently and is in a rural, mostly red area. Hence my guess that they are responding to something else. I also know that some cars have daytime running lights, but this isn’t the case here.

G January 1, 2013 at 4:57 pm #

Excellent article, Doc!

In particular, this paragraph of yours summed up what disgusts me about these folks the most, as well:

That is essentially why I pay attention to these hopeless, yet self-poisoned delusional nutcases. As a society, we must remain vigilant against the potential actions of the depraved nuts and haters out there…

HKL (away from home) January 1, 2013 at 6:02 pm #

Sef:

Arthur January 1, 2013 at 6:25 pm #

Sef: Speaking of vehicles, sometimes I see cars & pickups approaching me while they are driving which have their headlights on.

Sef January 1, 2013 at 6:27 pm #

Arthur: I’m protesting Obama’s war on daylight! Haven’t you noticed how little there is these days?!

But we’re starting to get more daylight. Maybe O is losing the battle.

Scientist January 1, 2013 at 6:42 pm #

HKL (away from home): New cars have driving lights on automatically in daytime. My new Honda does anyway.

Daytime running lights have been required on all cars sold in Canada since 1989. There are studies showing they reduce accidents.

Arthur January 1, 2013 at 7:22 pm #

Sef: But we’re starting to get more daylight. Maybe O is losing the battle.

You can thank Orly Taitz, a.k.a. Lady Sunshine, for that!

Dave B. January 2, 2013 at 2:17 pm #

Speaking of bumper stickers, I came across a fellow selling anti-Obama bumper stickers on Ebay just now. Here’s what he had to say:

“Hello, I have decided to do whatever I can in my power to spread the “TRUTH” about Obama and his regime. I hope I can reach one U.S. Citizen out there and help “WAKE THEM UP” to whats happening very quickly to our great nation. Our Government is a “NASTY” regime with one goal in mind. Your FREEDOM will be GONE if you do not pull your head out of your you know what very very soon. The UNITED STATES is BANKRUPT and that’s exactly what they want. The poorest among all of us will feel it the WORST. OBAMA is a damn good speaker and salesman. Hes the definition of “SMOKE and MIRRORS”. Please inform yourself and just take a look around the internet if you think I am out of my mind. The “TRUTH” is EVERYWHERE, you just have to look a tiny bit. GOD BLESS AMERICA.

All funds made here are being spent spreading the “TRUTH” everywhere!”

His stickers include one saying “Go buy a gun while you still can your gonna need it!” and “Civil war is coming soon!”
    I do not like keyword spammers to begin with.

Horus January 2, 2013 at 5:41 pm #

Sef:

Supposedly it makes you more visible to approaching traffic.

JoZeppy January 2, 2013 at 5:42 pm #

Dave B.: The thing that bugs me the most about the jerk, though, is that he includes the words “craftsman tools mac matco sk proto dewalt cornwell” as the “Part Brand” in his “Item specifics”, so his items turned up in a search for “vintage tools”.
    I do not like keyword spammers to begin with.

In doing so, he’s actually violating ebay’s listing policies, which specifically prohibit keyword spamming:

Horus January 2, 2013 at 6:02 pm #

Dave B.:

I do not like keyword spammers to begin with.

Report him to Ebay for violating the listing rules.
    I report people all the time and Ebay does take action.

Dave B. January 2, 2013 at 8:13 pm #

Horus: Report him to Ebay for violating the listing rules.

I already did that, and I sent him a message, asking if he knew his description violated Ebay rules. I got a fairly prompt reply, a bit more birther-goofy than professional (it started with “oh lord” and ended with “lol”), asking whether it was the “gun”, “wake up”, or “obama” that was the problem; to which I sent this reply:

Your political views are your own business, and your desire to express them should not be impeded. However, I came across your items as a result of searching for “vintage tools”. That may be the result you desire, but including terms unrelated to the item you’re selling is a violation of Ebay’s rules against search and browse manipulation. It’s also annoying and utterly dishonest. To many buyers it’s a sign of a seller who shouldn’t be trusted. You’ve started out by lying to people about what you’re selling– using a bait-and-switch. Is that the impression you want to make?

RoadScholar January 2, 2013 at 8:39 pm #

Horus: Report him to Ebay for violating the listing rules.
    I report people all the time and Ebay does take action.

Shame the auction went away so fast. I was gonna send they guy a link to a listing I’ve had up a couple times… for a bumper sticker that says

“BIRTHERS ARE DANGEROUS
    TREASONOUS MORONS–
    Why do they hate America?”

Keith January 2, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

Horus: Here in Arizona it is law that you must have your headlights on, day or night, while crossing the open desert on the highways.
    Supposedly it makes you more visible to approaching traffic.

Just be sure that you turn ALL your lights OFF if you pull off I-10 in a sandstorm!

Dave B. January 2, 2013 at 10:28 pm #

Keith: Huh, didn’t know that, pretty good idea I figure but when did that come into effect?

It’s news to me.

G January 2, 2013 at 11:53 pm #

Yeah, I can’t stand false advertising…

No surprising that serial liars, such as Birthers and their ilk, would use such bogus tactics.

Their entire worldview is bogus to begin with… truth and honesty is not something they actually grasp nor respect at all.

I do not like keyword spammers to begin with.

G January 2, 2013 at 11:58 pm #

Why wait? Report this kind of violation the MOMENT you see it.

These folks are dishonest bait-and-switch scammers from the get go.

You know darn well that there is NO reasonable explanation for them appearing under such completely unrelated search terms. That doesn’t happen by accident.

Trust me, their kind do NOT learn. When caught, they will only “feign” an “oopsy”…but go right back to pulling the same cr@p over and over again, the moment they think no one is looking.

So again, just report them immediately and don’t even waste time contacting them…nor foolishly waiting for a response. These folks don’t have shame to be shamed with, so it isn’t worth trying.

Dave B.: His Obama bumper stickers have been removed from auction– whether that was his choice or not, I have no idea. I haven’t heard back from him, but if I do, I’ll point out that his two remaining auctions for Peterbilt stickers also violate the same rule.

G January 3, 2013 at 12:01 am #

Here in Ohio, the laws have been increasingly calling for headlights to be on in many circumstances. For instance, you can now be pulled over for using your wiperblades, if you fail to also have your headlights on.

Supposedly it makes you more visible to approaching traffic.

Dave B. January 3, 2013 at 12:56 am #

G: Why wait?

Keyword spamming is common as dirt on Ebay, and I don’t think they do much about most violations. Often it’s somebody who comes right out and tells you their intention is to get their item onto other searches, and they’ve never even considered that they’re being dishonest about it. Some are just plain inexperienced. You could make a career out of reporting it. This one just happened to get my attention. I’ve already told him what I thought he needed to know, and I reported the items for listing violations. I see no point in taking it to harassment
    And I beg your pardon, but I’ll keep my own counsel about how I “foolishly” waste my own time.

Keith January 3, 2013 at 6:48 am #

Supposedly it makes you more visible to approaching traffic.

Please provide a reliable link. I cannot find any evidence that this is true in Arizona or any other place in the United States.

Dave B.: It’s news to me.

I know that there are some stretches of road in California where they have signs up asking you to turn your lights on, at least that was so in the mid 80’s through the mid 90’s. I believe it is (was?) an experiment to see if it works to reduce accidents.

I support running lights, but full headlights are rather silly IMO (unless your vehicle doesn’t have ‘proper’ running lights of course).

I am also adamantly opposed to people using fog lights, especially white ones, when there isn’t any fog and especially when there is moisture on the road to reflect the light into oncoming cars.

Dr. Conspiracy January 3, 2013 at 1:10 pm #

This is why God created emergency flashers.

Keith: And if you pull off the road and stop in a rainstorm or a duststorm due to poor visibility TURN YOUR DAMN LIGHTS OFF so the guys behind you don’t think you are still on the road and doing the speed limit.

Dave B. January 3, 2013 at 1:36 pm #

Keith, I remember the California signs, and nowadays New Mexico has “safety corridors” where daytime headlights are required and speeding fines double, but I sure haven’t seen anything like that on I-10 in Arizona. I don’t see such a law in Title 28 of the Arizona Revised Statutes.

HKL (Keith away from home) January 3, 2013 at 4:15 pm #

This is why God created emergency flashers.

I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson has had 50 car chain reaction pileups with many people killed for exactly that reason. It happens just about every year.

In other news, the Melbourne Age Newspaper says today may turn out to be the hottest day in history (as in nationwide average high – previous record 40.17c in 1972 ). And it looks like we may be in for a week or more of hot weather. The forests are going to go up like matchsticks.

JPotter January 3, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

HKL (Keith away from home): 40.17c

HKL (Keith away from home): NO!!!!!!! Then that trucker behind you just thinks you are still on the road but just going slow in the poor visibility! Just get off the road and turn your lights off!

There was a massive pileup east of Houston last month. I suggest roadside flares when pulling over.

HKL (Keith away from home) January 3, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

JPotter: Really? The record high for AU is barely over 40C? Wow. I mean, that’s plenty hot, you have my sympathies … but we’ve had far worse here the past two summers. I hope humans aren’t impacted by fires. The forest itself will be fine.

There is a complete fire ban in Victoria, and I assume other states as well.

High temperatures seem to automagically cause the forests here to self-combust. People go nuts and set them on purpose, farmers forget that their tractor mufflers will set the grass on fire, power wires expand and spark, substations melt down, etc. etc. etc. We’ve had a fair bit of rain in November and early December, but now everything is dry, dry, dry. The prediction is for the worst fire season since 2009.

JPotter January 3, 2013 at 5:21 pm #

HKL (Keith away from home): That is a NATIONAL average, not just one city high. Perth is predicted to be 46 today I think.

Ah! You literally meant average high for the entire country. That is a toasty island.

Sounds like summer here and there are interchangeable. This year I burned off the grass (chemically) and drip-irrigated the plants. Hello, Tattooine. I’ll think of you while enjoy our typically balmy winter. Good luck! We’ll be trading places (meteorologically) soon enough!