The mysterious Mr. Hudson

Chatter on the limited-access Obot News Service1 (ONS) has been high today with various Obot stations2 reporting odd telephone calls from someone who identified himself as “Lane Hudson” and who said that he was writing an article about anti-birthers. The only Lane Hudson I know of is a former Democratic Party campaign worker and blogger. The South Carolina native was the one that brought to light the Mark Foley scandal, and now works in England for a global communications firm, and isn’t the person who called.

I didn’t personally receive one of these calls, but others who did report that the caller said he wanted to do an interview. Now James Johnson (aka JimBot)3 warned about an imminent birther impersonation operation4 that the White House had uncovered through its anti-terrorist surveillance program5, and so the cover story, that the Obots are independent bloggers who write about what they believe in, and who receive no support or direction from the President or others6 was quickly deployed. A quick check of the caller’s phone number from Caller ID with the FBI7 determined that the caller was one Walter Fitzpatrick.

So I’ll leave it with that, and those who received calls can talk about their particular experiences.

• Report at Bad Fiction

1There is no Obot News Service.

2There are no Obot stations.

3Former Fannie Mae chairman James Johnson is not JimBot.

4The warning described here never happened.

5I have no knowledge of any White House surveillance of birthers.

6The cover story is true.

7The Fogbow Bureau of Investigation

27 Responses to The mysterious Mr. Hudson

Yoda February 27, 2013 at 7:36 pm #

That is one of the funniest things I have ever read.

Bob February 27, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

Yet another Birther who has been on the wrong side of the law a time or two.

nbc February 27, 2013 at 8:48 pm #

Is Walt out of jail again?

Rickey February 27, 2013 at 8:48 pm #

Patrick at Bad Fiction received a couple of calls from “Lane Hudson.” He reports on it today.

Suranis February 27, 2013 at 9:40 pm #

I guess he has to be calling someone for companionship since Lady Rondue will not accept collect calls anymore.

nbc February 27, 2013 at 11:18 pm #

ROTFL

Rickey February 27, 2013 at 11:43 pm #

Daniel February 28, 2013 at 1:22 am #

Rickey:

Or Walt is thinking he’s sending a virus by coughing on the computer screen before he hits “send”

The Magic M February 28, 2013 at 4:06 am #

Rickey: That makes me suspect that Walt has been sending him viruses

Has Walt been hanging around Orly’s site too long again?

nbc February 28, 2013 at 4:53 am #

Rickey: That makes me suspect that Walt has been sending him viruses and Patrick’s anti-virus program is deleting the attachments.

I believe him to be a fool and tool.

Dr. Conspiracy February 28, 2013 at 7:54 am #

I’ve been getting these emails also. I wrote about it last month:

Rickey: Patrick says that he has received a series of blank e-mails from Walt. That makes me suspect that Walt has been sending him viruses and Patrick’s anti-virus program is deleting the attachments.

Reality Check February 28, 2013 at 8:28 am #

I suggest this Walt was acting in cahoots with Sharon Rondeau. She probably was planning a big exposé on The Fogbow to run in her fake newspaper.

nbc: I believe that Walt is totally incapable of such actions. What really has he accomplished so far? Other than being locked up a few times….

I believe him to be a fool and tool.

Sobama February 28, 2013 at 11:08 am #

I also got a call from a Lane Hudson. He asked me to do an interview in a hot tub about it.

Rickey February 28, 2013 at 11:55 am #

I’ve been getting these emails also. I wrote about it last month:

It’s just another in a long line of emails forged to come from someone I know, but aren’t from them. The connections seem to be from folks that I am friends with on Facebook, or from folks who have appeared on this web site.

I get those as well, supposedly from a few people that I know on Facebook. Typically there is one word in the subject line and the message is a link to a URL. I mark them as spam, which seems to have helped in slowing them down.

My e-mail server does a good job of screening for viruses and I always check my e-mail on the web before downloading it. Then it gets screened again by my anti-virus program.

nbc February 28, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

So many wanna be ‘reporters’…. Since they are working from a flawed premise (once again) their approach will only serve to expose them. Fascinating denial…

Reality Check:

nbc February 28, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

Sobama:
    I also got a call from a Lane Hudson.He asked me to do an interview in a hot tub about it. Bring soap on a rope… 😉

Funny…

mimi February 28, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

Lane Hudson phoned me. He was asking about a DVD called ‘Tranny Hunter’. I gave him Darren’s address.

Jane Whitman February 28, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

Yet another great moment in journalism. I can hardly wait for the P&E to probe into this breaking story.

Patrick McKinnion February 28, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

Does everyone remember the stunned faces on election day when Mitt Romney lost?? As it turned out, nobody there had even considered the idea of a loss because they believed their own propaganda and internal polls??

I have to assume we’re seeing the same thing here.

The birthers all think that debunkers and the like are “ignorant”, “stupid”, or “misled”. It’s the type of thinking that allows them to consider President Obama as some diabolical mastermind and at the same time see him as a stuttering, stumbling, idiot.

Now Fitzpatrick isn’t stupid himself. However his track record ever since his court martial shows someone who, once he decides how something should be, cannot be moved or his mind changed by anything like “facts” or “reality”.

Which means when he decided to do this “Lane Hudson” stunt, he figured he was dealing with easily fooled morons who he could pull the wool over their eyes and sweet talk them into giving up the goods.

Except what he got was some people who tend to be rather critical in their standards and unwilling to accept anything at face value. Not to mention that I suspect all the people he contacted have been harassed by birthers in the past and tend to be rather suspect towards calls out of the blue like this.

This got him flustered and flummoxed. And threw him off what script he had prepared. The fact we were shortly able to confirm who he was further threw him off.

While I’m curious to see how they spin it, I’m suspecting that whatever intent Fitzpatrick had got thrown out the window.

justlw February 28, 2013 at 10:50 pm #

The same kind of lazy thinking that convinced James O’Keefe he was an investigative super genius prankster operative, rather than someone who more often than not has gotten his ass handed to him.

Graham Shevlin March 1, 2013 at 12:32 am #

You can see that the Birthers are still stuck in Denial (at least to us), but in their alternate universe, Obama is illegitimate and should have either been un-elected or led off in chains months ago, so their only recourse to his second term as POTUS is Denial, otherwise they will have to suffer acute cognitive dissonance.
    This infamous study http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Prophecy_Fails reveals the extent to which cult-like believers will retreat to their belief system and attempt to “double down” on repetition of their understanding when events do not validate their beliefs and prophesies.
    I am seeing this all over the place on Twitter, as every Birther bar none is simply recycling old stories, some of them 4 or 5 years old, repeating mostly debunked bullcrap in order to convince themselves and others that the POTUS really is A Usurper. If I correct them, they either ignore me or describe me as a troll and block me. Surprise surprise. Exactly the sort of behavior that one expects from the members of a cult whose prophesies have failed to come true.

G March 1, 2013 at 1:52 am #

Good analogy. A number of us have considered them to be a new form of “internet-based” cult phenomenon for some time now. Other than having a “true” cult leader (and an actual cult base), the virtual Birther cult certainly typifies much of the rest of traditional cult behavior…

Graham Shevlin:

nbc March 1, 2013 at 2:30 am #

Isn’t Walt waiting for the Appeal’s Court to decide on his third incarceration? Perhaps this time he can avoid Christmas and spend summer in the slammer?

bovril March 1, 2013 at 4:10 am #

G,

Don’t forget they also show many of the classic signs of bacterial, viral and parasitic infection…..8-)

The Magic M March 1, 2013 at 5:21 am #

Graham Shevlin: I am seeing this all over the place on Twitter, as every Birther bar none is simply recycling old stories, some of them 4 or 5 years old

… and labeling them “BREAKING” to boot. *facepalm*

The most egregious example are those who (still) tweet “support Orly on Feb 12” – so birthers do own that elusive time machine? Or are, reversing the claim made w.r.t. pro gun control tweets, many of them simply bots that don’t really care about the contents?

justlw March 1, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

The Magic M: The most egregious example are those who (still) tweet “support Orly on Feb 12″

Yeah, so whatever happened there? I hear they haven’t yet announced the results of that Supreme Court trial that Orly presented all her zibits at.

justlw March 1, 2013 at 2:51 pm #

The Magic M: those who (still) tweet

Minor victories — I noticed someone on the front page twitfeed emitting some variation on the-ever popular:

“I’m no birther, but why did Obama spend his first day sealing all his records?”

I replied, “That didn’t happen. Read the actual executive order.” — and he deleted his tweet! Sometimes, the birther-curious can be helped, or at least shamed into retreat.