Abhorrent Arpaio assassination attempt aborted

Still in the alliterative mode, we note that a maximum security prisoner named Samuel Matta has allegedly plotted kill Maricopa County County Sheriff, and birther conspiracy theorist, Joe Arpaio, with a high-powered rifle. Reports say that the attempt was in response to Arpaio being responsible for the deportation of members of Matta’s family, reports Fox Latino News.

OOPS

Sorry folks, that was last year’s attempt to assassinate Joe Arpaio. This time it was a bomb. Brietbart News (WorldNetDaily and the birther blogs) report that a bomb was intercepted in the mail to Arpaio. Fox News describes it as a “suspicious package containing explosives.” The device was neutralized by a water canon. One source said the package appeared suspicious because it was leaking gunpowder.

Arpaio, who gets lots of death threats, responded:

It’s the nature of the business.

This site does not condone sending bombs to people, nor death threats for that matter.

Update:

It was later determined that the bomb was not wired to explode.

25 Responses to Abhorrent Arpaio assassination attempt aborted

Deborah April 13, 2013 at 9:31 pm #

The death threats are mutual. Respect Arizona (the petition effort to recall Arpaio) posted this on Facebook today:

Tomorrow’s event is crucial. Sheriff Arpaio supporters have been calling our phone line saying things like, “I wish you all died.”

According to the People Against Sheriff Joe Arpaio on Facebook, tomorrow (Sunday) is the day the plumbers and pipefitters union turn in their petitions to have Arpaio recalled.

The last I read, they only need 166,034 signatures in two months (less than half the amount needed).

Deborah April 13, 2013 at 10:59 pm #

Obama operatives sent the bomb.

According to the spin of this site (link posted below), the attempt on Arpaio’s life is “part of Obama’s attempt to remove Arpaio from his office” (in so many words). Quote from the article:

“Who ever is running it, this recall campaign [of Sheriff Arpaio] is little else but a harassment campaign. But it is one that is of a piece with that organized by Barack Obama’s Administration in an attempt to remove Joe Arpaio from office.”

Thinker April 13, 2013 at 11:07 pm #

No snark from me on this. I think Arpaio is a despicable, corrupt, racist POS but I don’t wish him any physical harm.

I would like to see him unemployed, though.

misha marinsky April 13, 2013 at 11:44 pm #

Deborah: Obama operatives sent the bomb.

I gave their side 24 hours. They did it in record time.

Deborah April 14, 2013 at 12:57 am #

Orly’s accusations against Obama are limp compared to Breitbart’s. These-er-some mighty powerful accusations Breitbart is bringin’!

Majority Will April 14, 2013 at 1:01 am #

Deborah:

Breitbart? It’s a g-g-g-g-ghost?

CarlOrcas April 14, 2013 at 1:23 am #

Deborah: The article links all the recent attempts at governments agents lives into one apparent conspiracy plot (D.A.’s prison guards, prosecutors, sheriffs, etc).

And, this just in from Texas: It looks like they will charge a former Justice of the Peace in Kaufman County, east of Dallas, with the murders of three people there. Two of the dead were prosecutors who prosecuted the JP for theft. He subsequently lost his office and his law license. So much for the prison gangs and/or marauding bands of illegal aliens.

ArthurWankspittle April 14, 2013 at 5:33 am #

CarlOrcas: Amazing stuff…..especially since the Flagstaff police say it will be a few days before they know if it really was a bomb.

Going to be a real bummer if it turned out to be the well packed and disguised Obama original birth certificate, as stolen from Hawaii and sent by a birther supporter.

ObiWanCannoli April 14, 2013 at 8:53 am #

The name Joe Arpaio and leaking gunpowder have immediately brought back my memories of some loony tunes shows in which Yosemite Sam thinks he defeated Bugs and runs away to the horizon with the leaking gunpowder from his pockets, keg of gunpowder or an item he took from Bugs. Almost always Bugs lights up the gunpowder trail, and we hear a big explosion in the horizon. The parallel is uncanny.

misha marinsky April 14, 2013 at 9:43 am #

ObiWanCannoli: The parallel is uncanny.

You beat me to it. Curses, foiled again. Right, Doc?

OT: Several years ago, K&G had silk Looney Tunes neckties. I was fitting a woman with eyeglasses, and she saw the top of the necktie. “What an elegant tie.” I unbuttoned my blazer, and she saw Bugs Bunny at a piano.

“Oh.”

Andrew Morris April 14, 2013 at 10:50 am #

One of the crazies on Orly’s site is claiming that Sandy Hook was a film set and the kids were all actors and/or kidnapped. But it could be a fake, as I suspect that 90% of the posts on her site are these days.

Keith April 14, 2013 at 11:12 am #

misha marinsky: You beat me to it. Curses, foiled again. Right, Doc?

“Oh.”

I’ve got a great silk shirt. It usually takes three or four looks for people to notice the Mickey Mouse portraits embedded in the paisley design.

Kate1230 April 14, 2013 at 11:24 am #

Andrew Morris:

Orly posted that Sandy Hook was either a hoax or a black flag ops to take all our guns away from us, only a couple days after it happened. Then she changed her tune and said it was all President Obama’s fault because Adam Lanza’s father was supposed to testify in an upcoming federal case that had the power to impeach the President. All of these scenarios are far more likely, according to birthers, than a crazy young man shooting innocent schoolchildren, teachers & other school officials along with his Mother. They just don’t do the rational thought process very well.

Andrew Vrba, pmg(mobile) April 14, 2013 at 11:37 am #

I can’t pretend to feel surprise or outrage over this. He made his bed. Sounds cold, but look at his career.

Birther Weary April 14, 2013 at 11:54 am #

Well, that’s just one place where you differ from Lady Liberty. What would her site be without death threats from her FMs? Mrs. Esquire is more circumspect; she just accuses everyone who crosses her with treason.

Kiwiwriter April 14, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

I have no love for Sheriff Arpaio,his views, his rhetoric, or his antics.

But I have zero tolerance for any attempt to kill him or any other public servant. Mr. Arpaio, for better or worse, is the sheriff of his county. By law. And to remove him by murder is a direct assault not only on his life, but everything that the United States, democracy, and civilization stands for.

And I will not chuckle or laugh about him “nearly getting his.” That makes me no better than people who want President Obama dead, and I am determined to hold the moral high ground, imperfect as it is.

And that’s all I have to say about that.

JD Reed April 14, 2013 at 10:19 pm #

Kate1230: Orly posted that Sandy Hook was either a hoax or a black flag ops to take all our guns away from us, only a couple days after it happened.Then she changed her tune and said it was all President Obama’s fault because Adam Lanza’s father was supposed to testify in an upcoming federal case that had the power to impeach the President.All of these scenarios are far more likely, according to birthers, than a crazy young man shooting innocent schoolchildren, teachers & other school officials along with his Mother.They just don’t do the rational thought process very well.

a hearty AMEN!

Kiwiwriter April 14, 2013 at 11:30 pm #

I’m glad for her sake that Ms. Taitz changed her views on Sandy Hook…the people who say it did not happen or that it was a “false flag’ operation enrage me beyond words. To spout such ghastly rubbish is to be something less than human.

JPotter April 15, 2013 at 1:47 am #

Majority Will: Breitbart?It’s a g-g-g-g-ghost?

Arpaio has nothing to worry about … until he sees service trucks from Southern California Edison in Maricopa, making surprise streetlight light replacements ;-)

The Magic M April 15, 2013 at 7:54 am #

Kiwiwriter: I’m glad for her sake that Ms. Taitz changed her views on Sandy Hook

The Magic M April 15, 2013 at 7:58 am #

Deborah: Orly’s accusations against Obama are limp compared to Breitbart’s.

So is Orly’s racism compared to that espoused in Breitbart’s moderated comments section. The latter is about on par with WND right now, second only to Stormfront.

Kiwiwriter April 15, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

The Magic M: I don’t think she did. This would imply she’s able to make sane decisions, such as admitting she was wrong, ever. She just thought another conspiracy theory was better to sell to the public. You can be certain she still believes the false flag claim along with the other one.

Yeah, I think you’re right….Orly and reality are two separate subjects.

Plantmaster April 15, 2013 at 6:04 pm #

Carl Gallups was jumping on it this weekend on his fb page, connecting it post hoc, ergo propter hoc to Zullo’s investigation, Being a rascal, I pointed out that (1). the device was caught by the government (USPS) and (2). Zullo was not targeted.

Being a truly naughty rascal, I asked how could they be sure this wasn’t a black flag or Reichstag fire incident concocted by a member of the Cold Case Posse…

misha marinsky April 15, 2013 at 7:04 pm #

Plantmaster: I asked how could they be sure this wasn’t a black flag or Reichstag fire incident concocted by a member of the Cold Case Posse

I thought the same thing – black flag.

Nullifidian April 16, 2013 at 12:16 am #

To be honest, that’s not an implausible suggestion. I’ve worked with black powder on a couple of occasions in live theatre, and it makes a good bang with lots of smoke, but there’s very little force behind the blast. It doesn’t detonate—which is a technical term for explosives that produce a supersonic shock wave—but rather burns at subsonic speeds. Hardly the thing I’d choose if I were going to try to assassinate anybody.

Now, I must say that black powder can produce a moderately effective explosion if it’s in a pipe bomb, because the pipe bomb holds the force of the blast in until it builds enough to shatter the pipe (ideally; poorly constructed ones just blow the end caps off), but if it was a pipe bomb then how did it come to be leaking black powder? If it’s leaking, that means that the force of the blast would “leak” too. Also, I’m sure some news outlet would have mentioned a “pipe bomb” if there had been one.

Either this is Amateur Hour stuff or someone is deliberately playing games.