Pro birther

Photo of Walter FitzpatrickWalter Fitzpatrick III is back in jail again on grand-jury related charges. According to The Post & Email, Fitzpatrick was arrested today on four counts related to stalking and harassment of McMinn County Tennessee grand jury foreman Jeff Cunningham. Fitzpatrick had been previously convicted in another county after he tried to force his way into a grand jury room to present evidence against Barack Obama.

Birther attorney Van R. Irion is representing Fitzpatrick pro birther. Attorney Irion would seem to be a good choice in this case because of his experience with the Liberty Legal Foundation in representing persons exercising their rights to obnoxious speech such as the wearing of southern heritage (Confederate) symbols in school.

Read more:

Print Friendly

, ,

52 Responses to Pro birther

Reality Check March 18, 2014 at 9:33 pm #

According to his biggest fan Sharon Rondeau Walt Fitzpatrick is back in jail again. This time it is for trying to commandeer the grand jury in his new home of McMinn County, TN, It sounds like they are throwing the book at him this time.

Andrew Vrba, PmG March 18, 2014 at 9:50 pm #

Pfffft! Van Irion is representing him.
    Well, I suppose it could be worse for old Walt! He could have ended up with Ocrazy. She would have screwed things up so badly that he would have gotten the death sentence or something.

Bonsall Obot March 18, 2014 at 10:35 pm #

Reality Check:

Thanks for this, RC; you just turned my whole day around!

Andrew Vrba, PmG March 18, 2014 at 10:56 pm #

As I mentioned in another thread, he should be relieved that he got Irion as his birther attorney, and not Taitz. She would have messed things up so badly, that old Walt might have ended up in the gas chamber or something!

Joey March 18, 2014 at 11:53 pm #

Van Irion also has the distinction of being one of three birther attorneys (along with Taitz of course and Hatfield) who were defeated by an empty chair when President Obama’s attorney refused to participate in the Georgia balllot eligibility challenge.
    Van Irion took his case all the way to the Supreme Court of the United States but he was denied his Petition for a Writ of Certiorari.

Rickey March 19, 2014 at 12:36 am #

Van Irion has filed three SCOTUS petitions since 2009 and all three were denied.

He doesn’t appear to have any experience in criminal defense work, but having no experience didn’t stop Orly and Mario from becoming Constitutional lawyers!

Bovril March 19, 2014 at 5:38 am #

IIRC Grand Starfleet Admiral of The Salty Sea of Birfer Tears stated that not one but two TRO’s (Temporary Restraining Orders) had been or were about to be issued against him for these very acts.

It is possble he confused the R as not Restraining but Requiring….Either that or he misses the fine cuisine and 5 star luxury that the inmate system of Tennessee is so well known for……..

Bovril March 19, 2014 at 6:05 am #

Actually, when I now try and parse the drivel of Sharon Rondummy at the Pest and Fail it looks like the bathtub admiral was the one who tried to take out TRO’s against the grand jury foreman for him stalking Fitzie……

It appears that in his world, Fitzie chasing, harassing and abusing a member of the grand jury is in reality a prima facie case of the grand jury member “stalking” Fitzie……

Of course I could be wrong it is rather difficult to decrypt the insane mutterings of a court martialled multiple felon.

Here’s the link, see what you think….

john March 19, 2014 at 6:30 am #

Fitzpatrick is a complete loon and an idiot. I heard some recent phone calls where Fitzpatrick is trying to argue with a 20 year Tennessee State Attorney. What a complete idiot. Fitzpatrick isn’t a lawyer and has no law degree. He has no law enforcement experience and isn’t even a paralegal. I could see this if Fitzpatrick was a lawyer as lawyers advocate their legal positions strongly even if they are wrong. But, I am unware of any training or experience that makes Fitzpatrick qualified in speaking or tackling these issues.

Dr. Conspiracy March 19, 2014 at 7:38 am #

This country is founded on religions liberty and the the principle that every man is judged on his own actions, not his religion or something somebody did 1100 years ago.

Also, your view of history is one-sided.

cavitekid: The muslims were fighting the Christians,1100 years ago and still are, but you don’t think that is very bad

Dr. Conspiracy March 19, 2014 at 7:42 am #

And Christians can wear crosses.

cavitekid: they allow muslims to wear symbols, but you don’t think confederate symbols are ok

Dr. Conspiracy March 19, 2014 at 7:42 am #

Are you felling well?

john: Fitzpatrick is a complete loon and an idiot.

Dr. Conspiracy March 19, 2014 at 8:00 am #

Sharon Rondeau has an article from last August that details Fitzpatrick’s legal gripes with the Tennessee grand jury system:

I have found that the Fitzpatrick side does a good job of painting Fitzpatrick as the victim of a heavy-handed and unaccountable state judicial system. But when you just get one side of the argument, it’s not the whole story. So far I haven’t found any press coverage of yesterday’s events.

nbc March 19, 2014 at 8:55 am #

The problem is that Walt’s ‘theories’ are founded on very flawed premises and in spite of the facts, he continues to insist ever more strongly that he is right. This of course places him on a direct collision course with the legal system as he is trying to file criminal charges with the grand jury based on these flawed legal foundations. And when they turn him down, he continues to return and then accuse the foreperson of harassment because he is “interfering” with Walt.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater March 19, 2014 at 9:39 am #

Dr. Conspiracy: Are you felling well?

“ITS A TRAP”

Arthur March 19, 2014 at 10:19 am #

nbc: If you ever get a chance to read the saga following his court martial, you will see a very similar trend.

Arthur March 19, 2014 at 10:20 am #

john: Fitzpatrick is a complete loon and an idiot.

Typically Alinsky tactics. What an obot!

Yoda March 19, 2014 at 11:18 am #

john:
    Fitzpatrick is a complete loon and an idiot.I heard some recent phone calls where Fitzpatrick is trying to argue with a 20 year Tennessee State Attorney.What a complete idiot.Fitzpatrick isn’t a lawyer and has no law degree.He has no law enforcement experience and isn’t even a paralegal.I could see this if Fitzpatrick was a lawyer as lawyers advocate their legal positions strongly even if they are wrong.But, I am unware of any training or experience that makes Fitzpatrick qualified in speaking or tackling these issues.

You could just as well have been describing Zullo and Gallups.

bgansel9 March 19, 2014 at 11:19 am #

Dr. Conspiracy: We’re talking about racism here, not religion. Confederate heritage is fine (I’m from Alabama and my great grandfather fought for the South in the war), but you know as well as I do what people most really mean when they put on a a Confederate battle flag on their shirt.

The Confederacy was about slavery, not state’s rights. Look at the declarations of causes of secession from the states of South Carolina, Mississippi, Georgia and Texas and you can find the word “slavery” and it’s derivatives (slave, slave-holding, etc) mentioned over 80 times combined in all four documents together: http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/reasons.html (the word “rights” appears 14 times throughout all four documents and is usually paired with the idea of slave-holding and loss of property (slaves). The complaints about not being able to hold slaves is mentioned throughout these documents. Do a search for “slav” (the first four letters of all the words deriving slavery, slave, slave-holding, etc) on the page (all four documents are on the same page) and count them yourself. Also notice that the word negro is mentioned five time as well. Now do a search on “rights” (for States Rights) and count how many times the word rights does not occur in the same point as the words “slavery (or it’s derivatives) or negro”. Not many at all.

This was not directed at you, Doc, of course. I’m just reinforcing your point. :)

bgansel9 March 19, 2014 at 11:28 am #

Yoda: You could just as well have been describing Zullo and Gallups

I think John forgot he was wearing his sockpuppet.

The European March 19, 2014 at 11:38 am #

bgansel9: I think John forgot he was wearing his sockpuppet.

No, he wrote the same on NBC´s blog under his real? name …

Andrew Vrba, PmG March 19, 2014 at 11:51 am #

Are you felling well?

I think Brian Reilly’s revelations shattered his universe, Doc.
    Poor fella probably can’t tell which way is up anymore.

CarlOrcas March 19, 2014 at 12:04 pm #

Are you felling well?

A clear sign that we are truly in the end times.

American Mzungu March 19, 2014 at 12:31 pm #

john: But, I am unware of any training or experience that makes Fitzpatrick qualified in speaking or tackling these issues.

How long have you held this opinion about Fitzpatrick?

The European March 19, 2014 at 1:22 pm #

American Mzungu: How long have you held this opinion about Fitzpatrick?

And what about the “training or experience” of John´s /Jim´s hero, Star Fleet Commander Zu-Low ?

BillTheCat March 19, 2014 at 1:56 pm #

cavitekid:

Take your revisionist history back to Stormfront where they care.

CarlOrcas March 19, 2014 at 2:04 pm #

People have been fighting each other since the beginning of time. It’s all bad…very bad.

cavitekid: the southern states were the greatest providers of the military in all of your wars since the Civil War and appear much more patriotic than the NE section of the USA

An imprecise claim that begs for more information: Can you provide any data that supports it?

Dr. Conspiracy March 19, 2014 at 2:15 pm #

Joey:
    Van Irion also has the distinction of being one of three birther attorneys (along with Taitz of course and Hatfield) who were defeated by an empty chair when President Obama’s attorney refused to participate in the Georgia ballot eligibility challenge.

Jim March 19, 2014 at 2:30 pm #

cavitekid:

That’s strange, how come the Northern States gave more of their lives in Vietnam than the Southern states.

Seems you got that a little backwards there. Research is a much better indicator than a biased opinion.

Thomas Brown March 19, 2014 at 2:32 pm #

cavitekid:

Which of these people would you rather have alongside you?

I would rather have an American. So… a Muslim American, Northern American, Southern American, Native American, Black American, Gay American… if he went through boot camp and volunteered to face bombs and bullets beside me, he’s my brother. I would risk my life to save a guy who I knew was a racist Republican skinhead Christo-Fascist. He would be my brother, in uniform, too.

I wouldn’t, however, want a quisling like you who divides the country up and only follows leaders he agrees with. That’s called insubordination, and it implies cowardice.

So yeah, I’d choose any of the above over your sorry behind.

jayHG March 19, 2014 at 2:39 pm #

Yoda: You could just as well have been describing Zullo and Gallups.

Or looking in the mirror….

Rickey March 19, 2014 at 2:58 pm #

cavitekid:

I see that someone needs a history lesson.

General George Patton – born and raise in California
    General Douglas MacArthur – born in Arkansas but raised in the west
    General Dwight Eisenhower – born in Texas but raised in Kansas
    General George Marshall – born and raised in Pennsylvania
    General Omar Bradley – born and raised in Missouri
    General Mark Clark – born in New York and raised in Illinois
    General Matthew Ridgway – born on an Army base in Virginia but raised primarily in Massachusetts
    General Norman Schwarzkopf – born and raised in New Jersey
    General Colin Powell – born and raised in New York
    Admiral George Dewey – born and raised in Vermont
    Admiral Chester Nimitz – born and raised in Texas
    Admiral Bull Halsey – born and raised in New Jersey
    Admiral John S. McCain, Jr. – born in Iowa, raised at various Naval Stations
    Admiral Elmo Zumwalt – born and raised in California

I could go on, but…

bob March 19, 2014 at 3:04 pm #

This is Fitzpatrick’s recent third arrest. His first was (with Huff) for disrupting a grand jury, and he was found guilty.

The second was when he stole a grand jury’s documents. He was found guilty; Irion represented him in that case at trial and on appeal. The appeal is still pending.

There have been other arrests in Fitzpatrick’s history.

Rickey March 19, 2014 at 3:09 pm #

So far I haven’t found any press coverage of yesterday’s events.

Apparently there is a notice in the Daily Post-Athenian (Athens, TN) but it is behind a pay wall. I did verify that he is in custody, however:

Offender Name: WALTER FRANCIS III FITZPATRICK
    Offender ID: 6669
    Date of Birth: 01/27/1952
    Age: 62
    Race: White
    Gender: Male

Custody Status: In Custody
    Location of Offender: McMinn County Sheriff’s Department

Dr. Conspiracy March 19, 2014 at 3:17 pm #

It must have been added after I searched there this morning.

Rickey: Apparently there is a notice in the Daily Post-Athenian (Athens, TN) but it is behind a pay wall. I did verify that he is in custody,

Rickey March 19, 2014 at 3:28 pm #

Arthur: Yes, that’s a very interesting story. When I first read it, I was left thinking that Walt’s punishment far exceeded his crime. I’ve come to understand that the Navy already knew Walt was a bad penny, and was looking for an excuse to get rid of him before he could get command of a ship.

He was on his way out anyway. A Lieutenant Commander in the Navy is the equivalent of a Major in the Army, and it is an “up or out” rank. Navy guidelines show that a Lieutenant Commander is expected to be promoted to Commander after 11 years of service. Fitzpatrick was passed over for promotion three times, apparently, and had been on active duty as an officer for 14-15 years when he was court-martialed. Of course, his conviction ended whatever remaining hopes he had of being promoted.

Rickey March 19, 2014 at 3:29 pm #

It must have been added after I searched there this morning.

It’s not a story, apparently. It looks like it is just a digest of the police blotter.

Joey March 19, 2014 at 3:40 pm #

But despite the cogency of his argument, he still lost to an empty chair.

Rickey March 19, 2014 at 5:33 pm #

cavitekid:

Which of these people would you rather have alongside you?

In our Civil War, the bloodiest in our history, Christians fought Christians, and a large segment of those Christians believed that it was fine to enslave people.

During World War II the war in Europe was primarily Christians fighting Christians, and a significant number of those Christians were trying to exterminate the Jews.

In 1721 a Spanish woman named Maria Barbara Carillo was burned at the stake at age 95 or 96 by the Spanish Inquisition. She was born a Jew and was forcibly baptized while a child. She was convicted of heresy because she resumed practicing Judaism in her old age. I wouldn’t want to have those Christians by my side.

There are good and bad people among all religions.

By the way, it is Muslims, with a capital M. Your prejudice is showing.

Upgradedd March 19, 2014 at 5:50 pm #

Confederate heritage is fine … but you know as well as I do what people most really mean when they put on a a Confederate battle flag on their shirt.

What is southern heritage … is there any difference between it and confederate heritage… what are they so proud about? having slaves…. losing a war… being seditionists… ever hear of northern or union heritage?

Lincoln told his generals to – “let them up easy” … Sherman and Grant did just that.. and they are still hated in the south despite that courtesy … They still hold visions of rising again…

Rickey March 19, 2014 at 9:31 pm #

One of The Fogbow posters got a copy of the Sheriff’s Department Incident Report. It doesn’t provide any real details, except that they had an indictment in hand and arrested Fitzpatrick when he showed up yesterday.

SueDB March 19, 2014 at 10:15 pm #

Rickey:

At the bottom of page 2, he is listed as being charged with “Aggravated Prejury” – I’m sure he aggravated the pre right the heck out of this jury…

The Magic M March 20, 2014 at 5:09 am #

Dr. Conspiracy: I was present in Atlanta when Van Irion made his Vattelist argument before the court. I thought it was concise and about as good as one could do with a losing proposition. When I said in the article that I thought Irion was a good choice, I was being serious.

He may be the best choice available among birther lawyers, but a good choice? The guy who tried to trick a court into giving him summary judgment (or was it a preliminary injunction) against a non-existing defendant?
    A good lawyer will never jeopardize his reputation with the court because said reputation may be the only thing he’s got (e.g. if he makes any “in good faith” claims that may be important to his case).

Lupin March 20, 2014 at 12:58 pm #

Dr. Conspiracy: I thought it was concise and about as good as one could do with a losing proposition.

This is damning with faint praise. The words “pig” and “lipstick” come to mind. :-)

Lupin March 20, 2014 at 12:59 pm #

Upgradedd: The Confederate battle flag should be looked upon and treated the same as the as a flag bearing the nazi swastika.

Which a disturbingly large number of extreme-right-wing Americans don’t seem to mind flying, despite the American heroes who gave their lives to fight Hitler.

The Magic M (not logged in) March 20, 2014 at 4:23 pm #

Lupin: Which a disturbingly large number of extreme-right-wing Americans don’t seem to mind flying

It was quite en vogue among right-wing Germans, at least when I went to school in the late 80′s. It was the most discreet way of saying “White Pride” back then. Not sure if it’s still the case, haven’t seen it around here in ages.

Greenfinches March 20, 2014 at 5:40 pm #

The Magic M (not logged in): I went to school in the late 80′s.

I now feel old.

Rickey March 20, 2014 at 10:01 pm #

Walt is still behind bars.

I signed up with Vine to be notified when his status changes.

RanTalbott March 21, 2014 at 8:32 am #

Dave March 21, 2014 at 8:39 am #

I don’t think you realize that, in the Crusades, the Christians were the aggressors, clearly in the wrong, and ultimately they lost. So your analogy should be “they allow Christians to wear symbols…”

cavitekid:

Which of these people would you rather have alongside you?

CarlOrcas March 21, 2014 at 11:11 am #

RanTalbott: I think the claim is very bad, indeed: being unable to distinguish a minority from the group of which they are a small part reveals a dangerous kind of stupidity.

Next thing you’re gonna tell him that Jesus was a Jew!!!

(Don’t laugh. I’ve had more than a couple rabid fundamentalists look at me like I was crazy when I said that. Same thing when I tried to explain the Bible wasn’t really written in 17th century English.)

Norbrook March 21, 2014 at 1:07 pm #

Rickey: He was on his way out anyway. A Lieutenant Commander in the Navy is the equivalent of a Major in the Army, and it is an “up or out” rank. Navy guidelines show that a Lieutenant Commander is expected to be promoted to Commander after 11 years of service. Fitzpatrick was passed over for promotion three times, apparently, and had been on active duty as an officer for 14-15 years when he was court-martialed.

Being an Annapolis grad, and getting passed over three times is a pretty good indicator of “not cutting the mustard.” His court-martial charges were, to be honest, something that normally would have drawn a letter of reprimand or a verbal. That said, one of the things I used to tell my subordinates was “what you can get busted for is not necessarily what you did, it’s what they can prove.” That seems to be the case when it comes to Walt, that they knew certain things but couldn’t prove them in a court-martial. They could prove the “misappropriation” of morale funds.