Important Internet Explorer Patch: XP too!

A public service announcement

A rather nasty bug in Microsoft Internet Explorer has been patched as of yesterday. Even though officially unsupported, a patch for Windows XP is available also. See article at ZDNet.

Among the more virtuous and enlightened Internet readers of this blog, the Chrome browser has taken the number 1 position (followed in order by Firefox and Internet Explorer) in April statistics:

image

Windows remains, far and above, the most used Operating system for visitors at 68%:

image

I would have expected more iOS.

Print Friendly

, , , ,

17 Responses to Important Internet Explorer Patch: XP too!

Reality Check May 2, 2014 at 2:57 pm #

I still have a relic of a laptop running XP so am am glad MS decided to distribute this patch despite being past the retirement date. However, I only opened IE one or two times after I reinstalled XP a while back and that was to download Chrome.

Dr. Conspiracy May 2, 2014 at 3:12 pm #

I powered up my old XP desktop and it kept crashing, hard drive errors. It’s time to pull the hard drive and take a trip to the recycling center.

Sef May 2, 2014 at 3:47 pm #

If you want to recover data from that disk take a look at SpinRite from grc.com. A very effective program.

Sef May 2, 2014 at 5:37 pm #

The European: This guy thinks otherwise

RanTalbott May 2, 2014 at 9:21 pm #

Dr. Conspiracy: I would have expected more iOS

I recently took a week off to visit out-of-state family, and was stuck with using an iPad most of the time to keep up with my online anti-birfering.

I was extremely disappointed. Among other things, I couldn’t participate in youtube discussions, because every youtube.com URL gets sent to the youtube app. If I switched browser tabs in the middle of writing a comment to look something up (assuming I actually succeeded: half the time, “tap and hold” to open a lnk in a new tab didn’t work), I sometimes came back to discover that my half-written comment had been discarded because Safari had arbitrarily decided to reload the page.

While the iPad was one of the nicest gifts I’ve ever gotten, and I literally use it every single day as an entertainment device, as a communications tool it sucks. So I’m not surprised that your clientele, who tend to be people who communicate with the written word, rather than brainwashing themselves by watching propaganda videos and soaking up screeds from echo chambers, use it less than users of other sites.

Throw in the way that it deliberately obliterates every bit of verbal metadata about your photos and videos (Specifically, names, and creation and modification dates. It wouldn’t surprise me to find out they were messing with the EXIF data, too), and it starts to look like the First Horesman of the Apocalypse, spreading the plague of post-literacy.

btw, when you recycle your hard drive, don’t forget to pop it open and steal the voice coil magnets: aside from virtually assuring that no one but the best federal spooks will be able to recover your data, they’re extremely handy little buggers. Almost strong enough to attach your dog to the roof of your car next time you’re going to Canada.

Dr. Conspiracy May 2, 2014 at 10:04 pm #

RanTalbott: While the iPad was one of the nicest gifts I’ve ever gotten, and I literally use it every single day as an entertainment device, as a communications tool it sucks.

Andrew Vrba, PmG May 2, 2014 at 10:06 pm #

No Andoid? Tsk tsk! ;)

The European May 3, 2014 at 3:15 am #

Sef: Gee, I wonder if this guy has a vested interest in giving a bad review to a competitor?

Is there any indication that he is a competitor ? I see none. So why do you wonder ? Just because ?

He argues his judgement. I agree with him. Makes no sense to “repair” a broken harddisk. Better get your data out asap and transfer them to a new medium.

The European May 3, 2014 at 3:35 am #

Andrew Vrba, PmG: No Andoid? Tsk tsk!

/offtopic
    For real work an elderly windows-notebook (dell vostro V13; win7, SSI-disk, the fan rarely turning thanks to I8fanGUI= silent like a tablet. Best thing I ever had.)

For phone and entertainment several Android-devices. All rooted, all with a slot for mini-SDHC. You buy a 64 GB card for about 30 Euros today.

Root / Jailbreak is absolutely necessary. Only with these you can make the device (and the apps) behave like you want and not like Apple or Google want them to behave. A firewall needs root-access under iOS or Android !

The European May 3, 2014 at 4:42 am #

An important tool to keep your privacy:

The Magic M May 3, 2014 at 9:48 am #

Dr. Conspiracy: In the Conspiracy household, the lady of the house has the iPad mini. I use a Windows tablet.

Windows Vista w/ Chrome here on a top-of-the-line gaming PC. The Mac (an older slower one) only gets fired up when both my girlfriend and me want to go online at the same time, i.e. almost never. She prefers Firefox over Chrome for some reason.

My company’s website has many users from companies still running IE 5 (probably due to some custom intranet scripts needing to run, or because they’re plain stupid ;)).

Northland10 May 3, 2014 at 10:25 am #

I would have expected more iOS.

I’ve been busy, and do most of my reading from Feedly. Commenting is harder on an iPad while riding a moving train.

Dr. Conspiracy May 3, 2014 at 12:34 pm #

Thanks. I’m giving it a try. This web site is reported as having 7 third-party trackers (all but platform.twitter.com allowed):

pbs.twimg.com (Twitter images)
    platform.twitter.com (Twitter – blocked)
    twitter.com (Twitter)
    syndication.twitter.com (Twitter)
    cdn.printfriendly.com (Print Friendly button to print articles)
    1.gravatar.com (commenter avatars)
    themes.googleusercontent.com (I assume Google Analytics)

The European: An important tool to keep your privacy:

CarlOrcas May 3, 2014 at 1:28 pm #

pbs.twimg.com (Twitter images)
    platform.twitter.com (Twitter – blocked)
    twitter.com (Twitter)
    syndication.twitter.com (Twitter)
    cdn.printfriendly.com (Print Friendly button to print articles)
    1.gravatar.com (commenter avatars)
    themes.googleusercontent.com (I assume Google Analytics)

I use Ghostery and it shows three on your site:

Google Analytics
    Twitter Button

I also use AdBlock but since you don’t have any ads it doesn’t matter.

Rickey May 3, 2014 at 8:47 pm #

I have a desktop running on XP. I don’t use it much but it worked fine after installing the IE patch.

Dr. Conspiracy May 3, 2014 at 9:31 pm #

When I turned on “Do Not Track” I started having problems commenting at YouTube with Firefox. This video had the solution:

The European: An important tool to keep your privacy: