Important birther, Jeff Lichter, seriously ill

There has been virtually no coverage of Jeff Lichter of the Greater Phoenix Tea Party on this blog, but that is my oversight. Lichter has been an important figure in organized birtherism. Who else among the birthers can say that they met Donald Trump face to face, and advised him about Obama’s birth certificate (and carries a photo to prove it)? Miki Booth in her book Memoirs of a Community Organizer from Hawai’i wrote about the encounter:

Dr. Kate, well-known conservative political activist and host of the Revolution Radio Show, and I met for the first time in Phoenix on April 16th for a meeting arranged by Jeff Lichter of Arizona to compile evidence that would be given to Michael D. Cohen, executive vice president and special counsel to Donald Trump. At a little known meeting weeks earlier in New York City, Jeff, Arizona State Rep. Carl Seel, and Kelly Townsend, organizer of the Greater Phoenix Tea Party, met with Trump for a brief 30 minutes discussing the Arizona eligibility bill which Trump fully supports and pledged to go to Arizona in June. Wrapping up the meeting when the topic changed to the birth certificate and “natural-born citizen,” Trump’s time had run out, but he gave a “homework assignment” to Jeff by saying, “I want to know everything about ‘natural-born citizen,’ and I want to know about these reports from Kenya when members of the Kenyan Parliament had talked about Obama having been born there.”

Booth, Miki (2012-01-30). Memoirs of a Community Organizer from Hawai’i (Kindle Locations 5330-5336). New Patriot Publishing. Kindle Edition.

Lichter was a very active birther, who met not only with Trump but with Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett, who demanded a verification of Obama’s birth certificate from Hawaii. He was also acquainted with Orly Taitz and Dean Haskins of the Birther Summit, acting as its organizer for Arizona. Lichter was instrumental in Sheriff Arpaio’s meeting with Lord Monckton, British eccentric and birther.

Lichter was one of the original Tea Party members who met with Sheriff Arpaio to urge him to investigate Jerome Corsi’s allegations about Barack Obama. Here’s a photo of Lichter with Mike Zullo taken at the Cold Case Posse Press Conference, 31 March 2012 (courtesy of the Ventura County Tea Party):

image

You can listen to Lichter as a guest on America’s Web Radio program “One Nation Under Fraud,” hosted by Gary Wilmott of the Article 2 Super PAC:

He made the national news in a 2011 Associated Press story where he famously said (making my quote of the day):

“The term ‘natural-born’ has nothing to do” with location of birth, said Jeff Lichter of the Greater Phoenix Tea Party.

Commenting on Miki Booth’s Facebook page in March of 2012, he said:

Miki, you raise a good point about whether we can trust SCOTUS. I encourage everyone writing on your thread here to keep fighting, keep spreading by whatever means (email, word of mouth) his ineligibility and Arpaio’s findings. And keep pounding and compounding demands to the media to stop their censorship.

Jeff was a true believer and didn’t just sit around waiting for others to act.

He has been hospitalized for some time following complications of surgery, reports Sharon Rondeau of the Post & Email. According to her, Lichter is showing some signs of recovery and there are hopes of being able to remove him from the ventilator soon. Sheriff Joe Arpaio visited Lichter in the hospital.

, , , ,

32 Responses to Important birther, Jeff Lichter, seriously ill

john November 19, 2014 at 6:05 pm #

“Lichter was a very active birther, who met not only with Trump but with Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett, who demanded a verification of Obama’s birth certificate from Hawaii.”

Color Me Skeptical November 19, 2014 at 6:12 pm #

Why don’t the repukelicans try to fight executive amnesty with a birth certificate hearing?

That would be a good one!

john November 19, 2014 at 6:22 pm #

Support Terry Lakin Day Rally – Senators John McCain and Jon Kyls’ offices – 12/6/2010 – Phoenix, AZ

wrecking ball November 19, 2014 at 6:25 pm #

wishing him a speedy recovery.

Paul November 19, 2014 at 6:52 pm #

“Eccentric” is too kind a term for “Lord” Monckton. He’s a con man, plain and simple. He’s been told time and time again to stop claiming he’s a member of the House of Lords. From his Wikipedia page:

“The House of Lords authorities have said Monckton is not and never has been a member and that there is no such thing as a non-voting or honorary member of the House.[6][34]

“In July 2011 the House of Lords took the “unprecedented step” of publishing online a cease and desist letter to Monckton from the Clerk of the Parliaments, which concluded, “I am publishing this letter on the parliamentary website so that anybody who wishes to check whether you are a Member of the House of Lords can view this official confirmation that you are not.”[25][26]”

ZixiofIx November 19, 2014 at 7:17 pm #

Dave B. November 19, 2014 at 7:31 pm #

Well, I sincerely hope he returns to his best health soon.

Arthur November 19, 2014 at 7:41 pm #

ZixiofIx: Hoping and praying he feels better soon. I wouldn’t wish illness on anyone for any reason.

I do. These old fossils, who came to adulthood in segregated America, a grew rich prospering from the privileged of their race and sex in a post-war world where America reigned supreme. Having earned their stash, they retreated to gated communities, continuing to rake in the most generous Social Security benefits Americans have ever know, even has they would deny a social safety net to the poor. They passed around the latest hate speech and conspiracies at self-satisfied after-church coffees. If they there was a hell, I’d damn every last one of these paranoid bigots to it. America will be a better place when they’re dead and gone.

Reality Check November 19, 2014 at 8:05 pm #

john: Here is Jeff Lichter and some trying garner support from Senator John McCain about Terry Lakin’s plight. John McCain ignored all pleas from Terry Lakin’s support:

Why would McCain want to support a criminal, traitorous, scum like Lakin?

Keith November 19, 2014 at 8:31 pm #

Reality Check: Why would McCain want to support a criminal, traitorous, scum like Lakin?

Deserter. You left off deserter.

Andrew Vrba, PmG November 19, 2014 at 9:53 pm #

john:
    Here is Jeff Lichter and some trying garner support from Senator John McCain about Terry Lakin’s plight.John McCain ignored all pleas from Terry Lakin’s support:

Curious George November 19, 2014 at 10:06 pm #

Get well soon Mr. Lichter.

Dr. Conspiracy November 19, 2014 at 10:07 pm #

Actually Reilly and Lichter were not close, and often disagreed.

john: Unlike Brian Reilly, Jeff Lichter did not fall for the Hawaii Verification that was sent to Bennett. Jeff Lichter was also was highly supportive of Terry Lakin. I always want to what Jeff Lichter opinion is of Brian Reilly. I’m sure they were close, but I doubt they are anymore.

Georgetown JD November 19, 2014 at 10:11 pm #

I’m sorry to hear of Mr. Lichter’s surgery complications. Wishing him a speedy recovery and uneventful return to good health.

Curious George November 19, 2014 at 10:14 pm #

Test

john November 19, 2014 at 10:39 pm #

Actually Reilly and Lichter were not close, and often disagreed.

I wonder why Zullo didn’t recruit Lichter for the CCP? If they disagree and were not close, perhaps Zullo is right when he said he recruited Reilly to watch him and keep him on a short leash from fouling things up.

CarlOrcas November 19, 2014 at 11:28 pm #

john: I wonder why Zullo didn’t recruit Lichter for the CCP?If they disagree and were not close, perhaps Zullo is right when he said he recruited Reilly to watch him and keep him on a short leash from fouling things up.

gull·ible
    adjective \ˈgə-lə-bəl\

: easily fooled or cheated; especially : quick to believe something that is not true

Courtesy Merrian-Webster

Joey November 20, 2014 at 4:37 am #

john:

Terry Lakin pleaded guilty to two of the three specifications against him at Court Martial. When a defendant pleads guilty, its hard to get outside support.

The Magic M (not logged in) November 20, 2014 at 5:22 am #

Translation: Unlike Brian Reilly, Jeff Lichter is a racist loon who won’t be convinced by any evidence in the world that the black guy is really the President.

BTW john, what do you RWNJ pseudo-Christian cultists make of the claim “his disease is God’s punishment for his racism and birtherism”? 😛

The European November 20, 2014 at 6:56 am #

Andrew Vrba, PmG: I may not like McCain’s politics, but he’s a veteran who actually suffered in a POW camp. He did his duty, to this country, and then some. Lichter is lucky McCain didn’t punch his lights out, for asking him to support a deserting traitor like Lakin.

Dr. Conspiracy November 20, 2014 at 8:13 am #

I get your point.

While there was not a formal declaration of war, I don’t see much difference between that and The Gulf of Tonkin Resolution, which authorized the war.

I don’t pretend to know much about the bombing of North Vietnam.

The European: Mc. Cain bombed North Vietnam cities, a country with which the US of A were never at war (or do you know of a declaration of war ?) So he is just a terrorist like the people who blew the world trade center. Or can you tell me the difference ?

Dr. Conspiracy November 20, 2014 at 8:16 am #

There is nothing whatever in the record that supports what appears to be a cheap lie on Zullo’s part.

john: perhaps Zullo is right when he said he recruited Reilly to watch him and keep him on a short leash from fouling things up

Sef November 20, 2014 at 8:40 am #

Arthur: America will be a better place when they’re dead and gone.

Unfortunately, most of them did not qualify for a Darwin Award.

Lupin November 20, 2014 at 9:09 am #

I get your point.

I don’t pretend to know much about the bombing of North Vietnam.

Understandably, the French were not very much upset about the Vietnam war at the time, and indeed, we have no moral right whatsoever to complain about what the Americans did there.

American historian Wm Manchester reports that French president Vincent Auriol even asked President Truman for a A-bomb to use on the Viet-Minh and Truman wisely refused.

That said, carpet bombing civilian populations from high in the air — whether it was in Dresden or North Vietnam — may be be expedient, but it is anything but heroic — IMHO.

That’s why I, personally, never bought the image of John McCain as a “war hero”, far less than, say, JFK or the thousands of brave GIs who fought a dubious war on the ground.

Kurt Vonnegut wrote some moving pages about the Dresden bombing in SLAUGHTERHOUSE-5, and they still apply, even more so, to the bombing of North Vietnam.

My 2 cents, of course.

Lupin November 20, 2014 at 9:13 am #

In fine, there are really only two kinds of birthers: the idiots and the crooked. My sympathies go to Lichter’s family — not just for his sickness.

Is Zullo married, BTW?

Andrew Vrba, PmG November 20, 2014 at 9:29 am #

Lupin: Is Zullo married, BTW?

The Magic M (not logged in) November 20, 2014 at 10:57 am #

Dr. Conspiracy: In my mind the distinction between terrorism and war is pretty ambiguous, depending largely on one’s point of view. If a distinction is to be made, I would focus on the purposes of the action (is it to terrorize the enemy or to gain military advantage by attacking troops and supply) and this would be measured in the choice of targets: military/industrial v. civilian.

Among the many things one can blame today’s media for is to muddy that latter distinction.
    One may think of the suicide attacks on US troops in Iraq what one will, but they are not terrorism by that definition, yet the media (including those in Germany) portrait them as such, basically changing the definition to “attacking those in power who we agree with”.

Rickey November 20, 2014 at 1:51 pm #

As someone who spent much of 14 months aboard an aircraft carrier in the South China Sea in 1969 and 1970, let me respond to the comments about John McCain. I was not a pilot, by the way, but I had a somewhat significant support role.

The United States has not made a formal Declaration of War since 1941. Since then we have fought in Korea, Vietnam, Panama, Grenada, Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and who knows where else. I do not believe that any soldier or sailor believed that the Vietnam War was illegal or constituted terrorism simply because there was no Declaration of War (although as Doc suggests one could argue that the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution was the equivalent of a Declaration of War).

Navy airmen do not devise strategy and they do not choose their targets. They are told where and when to attack, and they follow their orders. In hindsight one could make the argument that the bombing of North Vietnam was immoral, but at the time an individual pilot would not have been in a position to make that determination. I was responsible for processing Top Secret and Secret strike reports, and it was clear from those reports that due the the terrain and foliage it was not always clear what was being bombed and how much damage was being done. However, I was not privy to the big picture – just as the pilots did not know the big picture – and it never occurred to me – then or now – that I might have been aiding and abetting terrorist acts.

Keith (not logged on) November 20, 2014 at 5:11 pm #

<blockquote cite="comment-344495"

Or….maybe Lichter was ‘recruited’ and chose, for whatever reasons all his own, to remain on the sidelines.

CarlOrcas November 20, 2014 at 5:51 pm #

Keith (not logged on): How do you come up with these assertions of absolute certainty when you are so mired in absolute ignorance?

Simple. It’s much easier that way.

Lupin November 21, 2014 at 6:06 am #

Rickey: I despise John McCain’s politics, but like Terry Lakin he was never given an order which was on its face illegal. The difference between the two is that McCain performed his duty, whereas Lakin shirked his.

I couldn’t agree more. My dad, my two grandads, my godfather, my uncle, were in the French armed forces, so I completely understand what you’re talking about.

There is however a difference between performing your duty and being enshrined as a hero. I respect John McCain for having been a dutiful soldier; but i don’t think he was a hero.

Lupin November 21, 2014 at 6:07 am #

Andrew Vrba, PmG: I can’t speak for Zullo, but I’m pretty sure his mustache is an eligible bachelor.

Is Zullo gay? Not that there’s anything wrong with that. 🙂 [Seinfeld]