19 Responses to Arpaio could face jail time in contempt case

alg January 17, 2015 at 10:36 am #

Methinks the good Sheriff is in deep yogurt. Judge Snow had created a clear path and opportunity to avoid moving to the next step. Arpaio responded by being contrite and apologetic. Yet the judge still found substantial cause to go ahead with conducting the contempt trial. 🙂

Let’s see if our friends at Gerbil Report take notice of this unfortunate turn of events. Looks like their universe shatters in April.

Andrew Vrba, PmG January 17, 2015 at 11:20 am #

Methinks a pair of pink Depends could be in Shurfjoke’s immediate future.

I deeply apologize for that mental image.

alg January 17, 2015 at 11:37 am #

Andrew Vrba, PmG: Methinks a pair of pink Depends could be in Shurfjoke’s immediate future.

I deeply apologize for that mental image.

No apologies necessary: http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/1f7498952f1cd3a8cc568418b01e2dd73d736499/c=2-0-1199-900&r=x1443&c=1920×1440/local/-/media/Phoenix/Phoenix/2014/12/03/635532441942640263-benson.jpg

Andrew Vrba, PmG January 17, 2015 at 12:12 pm #

And without A to be the authority behind Z, there will be no joy in Birtherville that day.

Jim January 17, 2015 at 1:02 pm #

Karma’s a bitch ain’t it Sheriff? 😆

Is this the frogmarching in handcuffs that falcon’s been calling for?

CarlOrcas January 17, 2015 at 1:28 pm #

Arpaio is being painted into a corner by the judge.

I don’t see any upside for him in taking a contempt conviction. I doubt the judge would put him in jail but I’d like to hear from some real lawyers what the options are:

1 – I assume he would ratchet things up a bit at a time but I don’t think he will mess around with Joe for very long.

2 – Could the judge take over the department completely? At least until a new sheriff is elected?

Could this be the opportunity for Joe to depart office as a martyr? Think of the speaking fees for “America’s Toughest Sheriff Who Was Run Out of Office”?

wrecking ball January 17, 2015 at 2:03 pm #

CarlOrcas:

CarlOrcas January 17, 2015 at 2:12 pm #

wrecking ball: i’m interested to hear also. would a fine go against joe personally or just be passed on to the county to pay?

On that one my guess would be it’ll be Joe’s problem just like the possibility he may be arrested.

On top of that I suspect the county supervisors would not be inclined to pay any fines for him.

Notorial Dissent January 17, 2015 at 2:27 pm #

I will have to admit that I was surprised by this turn of events. I thought the Shurf had once again wiggled out of the hot spot, guess he didn’t, but would really like to know what pushed the judge over the edge. They usually don’t take this action unless they’re really mad, and have enough to convict, which kind of leads to the things don’t look so good for Joe at this point.

CarlOrcas January 17, 2015 at 3:05 pm #

Notorial Dissent:

My impression is that it has been a cumulative thing with the judge. Kinda like getting nibbled to death by ducks.

Dave B. January 17, 2015 at 3:17 pm #

I can see it now– zero dark thirty no-knock raid, Steven Seagal smashes right through the gate in the tank, with his keffiyeh blowing in the wind and his hat on backwards, chickens flying all over the place, cameras rolling– and that’s just for starters. It’ll be great. Book him, Steve-o.

Andrew Vrba, PmG January 17, 2015 at 3:28 pm #

I figure, one way or another, Shurfjoke’s days of being a big bully are coming to an end. Either through legal/administrative action, or the reaper finally going “Oops! Almost forgot all about this one!” Though I’m fine with him waiting until Joe’s legacy is in complete tatters.

john January 17, 2015 at 6:18 pm #

I seriously doubt the federal judge would throw Arpaio in jail. Heavy fine perhaps. Even so, would that be precedent setting for a judge to actually throw a sitting sheriff in jail for a crime.

bob January 17, 2015 at 6:43 pm #

john:

John is … correct. 😯

As the article says, the judge is initiating civil contempt proceedings. While incarceration is possible following a finding of civil contempt, it is very doubtful that that is the remedy the judge will impose in this case.

Rickey January 17, 2015 at 7:31 pm #

john:
    I seriously doubt the federal judge would throw Arpaio in jail.Heavy fine perhaps.Even so, would that be precedent setting for a judge to actually throw a sitting sheriff in jail for a crime.

It’s happened before. Richard Hongisto, the Sheriff of San Francisco County in California in the early 70s, was sent to jail for contempt of court after he refused to carry out an eviction order..

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater January 17, 2015 at 8:26 pm #

Let’s not forget James Parker the Texas Sheriff that Ronald Reagan’s justice department had thrown in jail for waterboarding prisoners.

Pete January 17, 2015 at 9:35 pm #

Unfortunately, Arpaio in jail is just as much a fantasy as Obama in jail.

alg January 18, 2015 at 8:09 am #

Pete:
    Unfortunately, Arpaio in jail is just as much a fantasy as Obama in jail.

True, but the irony here for birthers is that it is Arpaio who is losing in the courts and not Obama. While jail time for the Sheriff may be only a remote possibility, it is very likely he will be fined for his contemptuous behavior.

Pete January 18, 2015 at 12:15 pm #

They will only take fining the corrupt scumbag as “more persecution for this righteous leader’s courageous investigation of the President’s fake birth certificate.”