Is Arpaio done for?

imageJoe Arpaio is scheduled to be deposed under oath Wednesday in the Melendres v. Arpaio case where Judge G. Murray Snow is contemplating a contempt of court finding against Arpaio for willfully ignoring court orders to remedy racial profiling in his department. Arpaio has already admitted contempt in a previous brief, perhaps in hopes avoiding a future hearing.

I’m hearing quite a bit of back channel conversations that conclude that Arpaio is done for, and will likely resign. Certainly if I were a Maricopa County, Arizona, resident, I would be vocally expressing my displeasure with the leadership at the Sheriff’s Office and demanding a resignation. The County has already had $6.8 million in legal fees in just this one lawsuit. However, as I see it, Arpaio is their problem (the Court and the County), and they are the ones to deal with it. They know their interests better and the Court has the means to get at the truth.

A resignation by Arpaio makes a huge dent in birtherism, as it delegitimizes the Cold Case Posse and takes away whatever dim chance the birthers had the Arpaio was going to do something for them. I try, however, to avoid wishful thinking and favorable predictions unless they are sure things (like the Supreme Court not hearing a birther lawsuit). I don’t think this is a sure thing.

We probably won’t will hear much, if anything, from the deposition until the actual hearing in late April.

, ,

54 Responses to Is Arpaio done for?

Punchmaster via Mobile March 23, 2015 at 8:30 pm #

2015 just ain’t their year.

Dave B. March 23, 2015 at 9:10 pm #

That’s definitely blood in the water.

Punchmaster via Mobile March 23, 2015 at 9:19 pm #

Dave B.:
    That’s definitely blood in the water.

And Geritol.

Yoda March 23, 2015 at 9:27 pm #

My universe just shattered.

Curious George March 23, 2015 at 10:14 pm #

It’s amazing how Arpaio holds the initiators of lawsuits against him responsible for the terrible cost to the taxpayers. He never considers that his actions alone are responsible for the lawsuits.

His words, “It’s amazing what I say and what I do and what a get away with” will come back to haunt Arpaio. The arrogance associated with those words is going to be Arpaio’s undoing in a universe shattering way. Not even Mike Violin or Karl Giddyup or Gerbil Report or Arpaio’s Boy Blunder and his Merry Band of law enforcement wannabees will be able to fix this mess. He’s done, IMHO.

Curious George March 23, 2015 at 10:57 pm #

Mark McDaniel
    March 23, 2015
    “More importantly, I would like to know if someone here would like to peacefully clean up the childish little mess they made (and allowed to fester here like a bacterial infection) or would they prefer swift, lethal legal action and a nasty Congressional confrontation.”

Well, that’s perfectly clear.

Benji Franklin March 23, 2015 at 11:18 pm #

Dave B.: That’s definitely blood in the water.

The continuing silence over at BR in response to their rogue sheriff disappearing into quicksand right on the 1000th or so EVE of the big reveal presser that we knew WAS NEVER GOING TO COME ABOUT, illustrates the bankrupt nature of BR as news source.

Would we be surprised to hear from them a triumphant fall-back position proclaiming that after this setback, Obama’s Presidency will be ALL THE MORE CERTAINLY completely canceled and undone POST-OBAMA’s retirement a few hours after the big reveal presser Our Pie Hole will hold, AFTER HE GETS OUT OF PRISON?

Delonglegged Mack Daddy March 23, 2015 at 11:32 pm #

I can see the headlines now at BR

EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT!

SHERIFF JOE RESIGNS!

BIRTHER UNIVERSE SHATTERED!

Jim March 24, 2015 at 12:09 am #

I get the feeling the national anthem of birfestan is “Another One Bites the Dust”.

alg March 24, 2015 at 12:46 am #

I don’t see any way out for Arpaio on this. His best chance was to settle before the hearing – that’s not gonna happen. Instead, he gets to sit at the defense desk watching his dirty laundry get dumped in a profoundly public way. My bet is that the civil contempt hearing will lead to criminal contempt charges.

Slartibartfast March 24, 2015 at 1:13 am #

I certainly hope this is the case, but I’ve long since realized that in any kind of scandal there is only one cardinal sin: not being a Republican. I wont believe that a Republican committed a big enough sin to bring them down until it actually happens.

alg:
    I don’t see any way out for Arpaio on this.His best chance was to settle before the hearing – that’s not gonna happen.Instead, he gets to sit at the defense desk watching his dirty laundry get dumped in a profoundly public way.My bet is that the civil contempt hearing will lead to criminal contempt charges.

James M March 24, 2015 at 2:22 am #

If I didn’t subscribe to O.C.T., I would not have learned about this development. While I expect there to be a New Times article on the subject come Thursday, I still don’t imagine that one person in a thousand in Phoenix actually knows about it.

I would not cover any large bets on Sheriff Joe’s resignation.

Dave B. March 24, 2015 at 2:41 am #

So what are the million of us here in Pima County, chopped liver?

James M: County jurisdiction is not really a daily concern, in general, for residents of Phoenix, which is generally speaking, everyone in the state.

James M March 24, 2015 at 2:49 am #

Dave B.:
    So what are the million of us here in Pima County, chopped liver?

You see my screen name, JamesOfTucson, right?
    I’m a researcher at the UofA, I think I’ve made it clear for years that I am indeed chopped liver. At least that’s how the state treats us.

Dave B. March 24, 2015 at 2:54 am #

Ain’t it the truth. They say it’s all our fault, too.
    (That screen name here’s just James M)

James M: You see my screen name, JamesOfTucson, right?
    I’m a researcher at the UofA, I think I’ve made it clear for years that I am indeed chopped liver.At least that’s how the state treats us.

Keith March 24, 2015 at 3:48 am #

James M: You see my screen name, JamesOfTucson, right?

BEAR DOWN

2 down 4 to go! 😄

The Magic M (not logged in) March 24, 2015 at 5:23 am #

Who’s to say the people in Maricopa County won’t elect another “tough guy” who tries to style himself to be “Joe 2.0”?

And birthers will probably have another “any day now” moment with delusions along the lines of “now they’ve pissed him off, he’s gonna release everything he has SOON”.

RC March 24, 2015 at 8:35 am #

I’m sorry but I have to finally admit that Joe Arpaio is being set up, which may surprise my friends over here and listeners to my show. I have to be honest with myself, as a former CIA recruit, and as a human being, I feel I am very intelligent. Hopefully Zullo will come out swinging and announce a conference date this Friday and then slam-dunk Obummer on his aaaaassssssssssssss—YEEEEEEEEE-HAWWWWWW gimme some cornbread and chitlins

Curious George March 24, 2015 at 8:49 am #

A preview of what to expect tomorrow from Shurf Joe’s deposition. (Gerbilers, this is the same guy who is in charge of the birth certificate “investigation.” The linked article should tell you that your faith in Arpaio has been misplaced.)

alg March 24, 2015 at 9:04 am #

Curious George:
    A preview of what to expect tomorrow from Shurf Joe’s deposition.(Gerbilers, this is the same guy who is in charge of the birth certificate “investigation.” The linked article should tell you that your faith in Arpaio has been misplaced.)

RC March 24, 2015 at 9:36 am #

I assume all sane people will stay away from this website. My name is RC. I enjoy slander and libel. I’m a hick, after all, right? Just give me some grits and I’m happy as shits…….YEEEE-HAWWWWW

[Not the real RC. Doc.]

Curious George March 24, 2015 at 9:51 am #

alg
    “What will prove interesting this time around is the fact that Sands is no longer on the Sheriff’s team. Count on him to spill the beans.”

This will be very interesting. In the previous Arpaio deposition linked in the article above, Arpaio mentioned he hadn’t read the book that he had written with a co-author. I also found it amazing that Arpaio had difficulty defining “probable cause.” Yes, just the guy you want heading up one of the largest law enforcement organizations in the country.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater March 24, 2015 at 11:18 am #

I have to say the fake RC definitely has some funny jokes.

Reality Check March 24, 2015 at 12:33 pm #

Hey now, let’s not be knockin’ grits. Fancy restaurants call it polenta and get four bucks a serving. They are good with butter too.

RC: Just give me some grits and I’m happy as shits…….YEEEE-HAWWWWW

Curious George March 24, 2015 at 12:46 pm #

In the December 19, 2009 Arpaio deposition (see link) on page 301-304, the self-anointed Toughest Sheriff in America admits that he had only made one arrest in 17 years as sheriff. Is it any wonder that Arpaio tried to put this deposition under seal? Arpaio’s one arrest? A beautician who whacked Arpaio on the head! And Birthers seriously believe that Arpaio would arrest the President of the United States? Are Birthers really that delusional? Wake up people!

Curious George March 24, 2015 at 1:04 pm #

CORRECTION: December 16, 2009 Arpaio deposition.

Voice of Reason March 24, 2015 at 1:07 pm #

Don’t get your hopes up. He’s not going to resign. He’s a cockroach and can’t be killed by ordinary means. The blue hair brigade will defend him and reelect him until the day he dies.

Curious George March 24, 2015 at 1:10 pm #

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater
    March 24, 2015
    “I have to say the fake RC definitely has some funny jokes.”

Fake RC is all they’ve got? He’s a funny guy. But, Real RC is too cool. 🙂

Reality Check March 24, 2015 at 2:11 pm #

I have comment in moderation. Doc must be filtering out all the RC’s now. 😉 😆

Joey March 24, 2015 at 2:13 pm #

Voice of Reason:
    Don’t get your hopes up.He’s not going to resign. He’s a cockroach and can’t be killed by ordinary means.The blue hair brigade will defend him and reelect him until the day he dies.

Reality Check March 24, 2015 at 2:20 pm #

I can’t agree Joey. While I have no idea if Arpaio will survive he has some serious legal and political problems. Obama was never, never in any way seriously challenged by Birthers.

Joey: I totally agree with Voice of Reason. Anti-birthers predicting Joe’s demise remind me of birthers predicting President Obama’s demise: wishful thinking.

Jim March 24, 2015 at 3:24 pm #

Reality Check:
    Obama was never, never in any way seriously challenged by Birthers.

And THAT is what gripes the birthers the most…all they were to the President were a punchline. Guaranteed to bring mocking and laughter.

Reality Check March 24, 2015 at 3:28 pm #

… a comment…

Reality Check: I have comment in moderation

Punchmaster via Mobile March 24, 2015 at 3:45 pm #

Jim: And THAT is what gripes the birthers the most…all they were to the President were a punchline.Guaranteed to bring mocking and laughter.

This. 110% This!

RanTalbott March 24, 2015 at 4:08 pm #

Voice of Reason: The blue hair brigade will defend him and reelect him until the day he dies.

In the 2012 election, despite the huge infusion of BirferBux™ and other outside money, he got less than 51% of the vote.

A year later, his approval rating was down to 37%.

I haven’t been able to find a similar poll from 2014, but he cancelled his plan to run for governor, and the gossip said he’d discovered he wouldn’t carry Maricopa County.

Curious George March 24, 2015 at 5:17 pm #

Reality Check
    March 24, 2015
    “I have comment in moderation. Doc must be filtering out all the RC’s now.”

But are you RC Real, or RC Fake? 😉

Andrew Vrba, PmG March 24, 2015 at 5:18 pm #

Personally, I think the decline in votes for Shurfjoke, has to do with the fact that its the blue hairs voting for him! If his voters are as old as he is, it makes perfect sense why there are fewer votes each election. No one lives forever.

Curious George:
    Reality Check
    March 24, 2015
    “I have comment in moderation. Doc must be filtering out all the RC’s now.”

But are you RC Real, or RC Fake?

…Should we ask to see his birth certificate?

Curious George March 24, 2015 at 5:21 pm #

Ran Talbott:
    “I think he knows that his career is ending, and he’s using his “2016 re-election” announcement to build a fund for a “JoePAC” and/or to subsidize himself so he can compete on the rubber chicken circuit by offering lower speaker’s fees.”

I think he has never experienced what he is now going through. What a way to end a career.

Curious George March 24, 2015 at 5:25 pm #

Andrew Vrba, PmG:
    “…Should we ask to see his birth certificate?”

Only if it doesn’t have layers.

Andrew Vrba, PmG March 24, 2015 at 5:29 pm #

Curious George:
    Andrew Vrba, PmG:
    “…Should we ask to see his birth certificate?”

Only if it doesn’t have layers.

But does it have ridges?

Arthur B. March 24, 2015 at 5:30 pm #

Curious George: Only if it doesn’t have layers.

Is that a rubber chicken joke?

RanTalbott March 24, 2015 at 6:13 pm #

Andrew Vrba, PmG: Should we ask to see his birth certificate?

But I can’t show it to you because it’s copyrighted, classified, and has to be vetted so it can clear some legal hurdles…

Andrew Vrba, PmG March 24, 2015 at 6:33 pm #

RanTalbott: No need: I have a secret affidavit from Albert Zebest, who used to work as an elevator operator for Perkins Coie, that says “This is definitely the fakiest fake I’ve ever seen”.

Well now, if that just ain’t galaxy breaking.

James M March 24, 2015 at 6:38 pm #

Curious George:

He has obviously never been seriously challenged on anything, or questioned by anyone hostile to him who had any serious power over him. He reminds me a lot of my stepdad — a very arrogant, well-meaning but obnoxiously pig-headed retired Army Colonel (O6), the sort of person who you *never* argue with over *any* matter, the sort of person who you make an appointment to see (even though he’s your “dad” living in “your” house.) That kind of character, that’s the exact vibe I get from Sheriff Joe.

He is unaccustomed to being denied *anything* and I wonder if he is even able to understand the magnitude of his current situation.

Curious George March 24, 2015 at 6:44 pm #

Andrew Vrba, PmG: But does it have ridges?

No, I think it has ruffles.

Curious George March 24, 2015 at 6:47 pm #

Arthur B.: Is that a rubber chicken joke?

I’m still checking……..;-)

Curious George March 24, 2015 at 6:49 pm #

James M: He has obviously never been seriously challenged on anything, or questioned by anyone hostile to him who had any serious power over him.He reminds me a lot of my stepdad — a very arrogant, well-meaning but obnoxiously pig-headed retired Army Colonel (O6), the sort of person who you *never* argue with over *any* matter, the sort of person who you make an appointment to see (even though he’s your “dad” living in “your” house.)That kind of character, that’s the exact vibe I get from Sheriff Joe.

Sometimes I feel sorry for him and the Birthers who have bought into all of this nonsense. But, not for long.

bgansel9 March 24, 2015 at 7:41 pm #

James M: I’ve noticed that it’s mainly people outside of Phoenix who think about Sheriff Joe at all. The MCSO is seen as something of a curiosity, the police force that patrols the no-man’s-land outside of the incorporated cities of the Phoenix metro area. County jurisdiction is not really a daily concern, in general, for residents of Phoenix, which is generally speaking, everyone in the state.

You’re kidding, right?

Try having dark hair, dark eyes (English ancestry, but, in the dark I could pass for hispanic) and seeing the Sheriff’s Department vehicle in a parking lot and trying not to draw attention to yourself at 3 am.

alg March 24, 2015 at 9:55 pm #

Curious George:

I almost feel sorry for the man. He built his reputation with a flourish over canvas tents and pink underwear. But that’s not a way to construct a sustainable professional career that is unilaterally admired andrespected. At some point you have to demonstrate a command of substance. Without that one eventually comes to be known as an empty suit – in this case an empty uniform.

Arpaio has always been in over his head. It’s now all catching up to him and the consequences will not be pretty.

y_p_w March 24, 2015 at 10:17 pm #

alg: I almost feel sorry for the man.He built his reputation with a flourish over canvas tents and pink underwear.But that’s not a way to construct a sustainable professional career that is unilaterally admired andrespected.At some point you have to demonstrate a command of substance.Without that one eventually comes to be known as an empty suit – in this case an empty uniform.

Arpaio has always been in over his head.It’s now all catching up to him and the consequences will not be pretty.

He’s built his reputation on publicity stunts, and lots of them.

That’s one of the things that got former California Insurance Commissioner Chuck Quakenbush in trouble – spending government funds on a commercial that included himself and was probably meant to boost his profile for further office. The funds for that commercial came from payments he extracted from insurance companies in light of their treatment of victims of the 1994 Northridge Earthquake.

Andrew Vrba, PmG March 24, 2015 at 10:52 pm #

alg: I almost feel sorry for the man.

I don’t. I hope the stress and worry from all this shaves time off his lifespan. Creeps like him always end up living for way too long. Passing in a nice soft bed, far removed from the misery they caused.

Darcy Brown March 25, 2015 at 11:03 am #

Hello: If you want to do a story on that Arpio not only targeted Latinos, he also targeted Asians and the disabled. Please contact me for more details at 623-256-3963.

Curious George March 25, 2015 at 3:40 pm #

It’s going to be a long day for the Shurf.

Punchmaster via Mobile March 25, 2015 at 7:32 pm #

Pointing his finger, with a constipated grimace, won’t save his bacon this time.