The additional open thread: Fake News edition

Obama Conspiracy Theories closed to new articles on January 20, 2017, as as the very presidential Barack Obama left office, and was replaced by someone completely different. The open thread is a place to leave comments and continue the discussion. This thread will close, and be replaced by another in 4 weeks.

If you have not had an approved comment here before, your comment will first go into moderation for subsequent review and approval.

14 Responses to The additional open thread: Fake News edition

Dr. Conspiracy February 11, 2018 at 12:59 pm  (Quote) #

Welcome to the new Open Thread.

Dr. Conspiracy February 11, 2018 at 3:02 pm  (Quote) #

Insightful article about why people believe Trump’s lies:

Dr. Conspiracy February 12, 2018 at 7:41 pm  (Quote) #

OOPS, didn’t put the new Open Thead in the Open Thread category.

Northland10 February 12, 2018 at 8:44 pm  (Quote) #

Welcome to the new Open Thread.

For the record, I am still reading through the RSS feed, as always, so I may not show up on a counter unless I actually go to the site to respond.

bob February 13, 2018 at 7:21 pm  (Quote) #

Cruz has waived response to Laity’s Final Birther Challenge. This last case will be deadlisted and then denied soon enough.

Rickey February 14, 2018 at 9:32 pm  (Quote) #

bob:
    Cruz has waived response to Laity’s Final Birther Challenge.This last case will be deadlisted and then denied soon enough.

Yes, this, like all the others, was DOA. At least the birthers seemed to have learned that SCOTUS setting a deadline for a response does not mean that the respondent has to do anything. I remember when the first birther case was filed with SCOTUS the birthers were telling themselves that Obama would have to respond by producing his birth certificate.

Keith February 18, 2018 at 7:43 pm  (Quote) #

Years ago I asserted that the pattern of comments on this site pointed to an organized gang playing tag team, asking the same questions in round robin fashion. At the time I speculated that it was kids playing a point scoring game, or a group of patsies being paid by the post.

Well it seems the FBI has basically validated my musings. I am not necessarily happy to have been proven correct.

Keith (not logged on) February 19, 2018 at 3:49 am  (Quote) #

The http://www.obamaconspiracy.org site seems to be broken.

I’m on Firefox on Windows, and the only way to find the open thread was to ‘goto’ http://www.obamaconspiracy.org/2018/.

Once there, it was not showing my post I made earlier today via Firefox on Android (where the thread was found by clicking on the ‘number of comments’ link. But now that I think about it, I’m not sure I was logged on ‘properly’ at that time – perhaps it is in moderation?

So I had to logon (in Windows) in order to post, but the logon page wouldn’t even load. So I don’t know if this will post or if I’ll get dinged for ‘impersonating’ a regular user, or what.

(Note: I did get dinged for a possible imposter. I’ll try another name perhaps)
    (Note 2: dinged again, I’ll try another email)

Keith (not logged on) February 19, 2018 at 3:50 am  (Quote) #

OK, that worked. And my earlier post just showed up too. Hmmm.

gorefan February 19, 2018 at 11:40 am  (Quote) #
    Dr. Conspiracy February 19, 2018 at 12:36 pm  (Quote) #

The big difference between birthers on the Internet and Russian trolls, is that the Russians were effective in getting real people to turn out for rallies.

Keith: Years ago I asserted that the pattern of comments on this site pointed to an organized gang playing tag team

Rickey February 20, 2018 at 12:31 am  (Quote) #

I might have accused Orly Taitz of being a Russian operative if she hadn’t been so breathtakingly incompetent.

Dave B. February 20, 2018 at 9:59 pm  (Quote) #

I came across a comment on Quora about how “trump didn’t spend 4 millions to hide his past like Obummer did.” Got me to thinking. Somebody spends $130,000 here, $130,000 there, pretty soon you’re talking real money. I wonder how much all that adds up to?

Pete February 24, 2018 at 10:04 am  (Quote) #