More testimony: Obama was born in K…

dr_west

Obstetrician Rodney T. West

According to new testimony from an Obama family friend President Obama was born in Kapi’olani Medical Center for Women & Children in Honolulu,  who learned this from the doctor in charge of the hospital that delivered Obama.

When Barack Hussein Obama places his hand on the Bible today to take the oath of office as 44th president of the United States, Barbara Nelson of Kenmore will undoubtedly think back to the day he was born. It was Aug. 4, 1961, at Kapi’olani Medical Center for Women & Children in Honolulu.

“I may be the only person left who specifically remembers his birth. His parents are gone, his grandmother is gone, the obstetrician who delivered him is gone,” said Nelson, referring to Dr. Rodney T. West, who died in February at the age of 98. Here’s the story: Nelson was having dinner at the Outrigger Canoe Club on Waikiki Beach with Dr. West, the father of her college friend, Jo-Anne. Making conversation, Nelson turned to Dr. West and said: “‘So, tell me something interesting that happened this week,’” she recalls.

His response: “Well, today, Stanley had a baby. Now that’s something to write home about.”

The new mother was Stanley (later referred to by her middle name of Ann) Dunham, and the baby was Barack Hussein Obama.

“I penned the name on a napkin, and I did write home about it,” said Nelson, knowing that her father, Stanley A. Czurles, director of the Art Education Department at Buffalo State College, would be interested in the “Stanley” connection.

She also remembers Dr. West mentioning that the baby’s father was the first black student at the University of Hawaii and how taken he was by the baby’s name.

Source: The Buffalo News

Is this story just “too good to be true?” Perhaps.

Initial objections offered were that Dr. West had retired from delivering babies before 1961. This is questionable based on followup investigation (see below). The Buffalo News article stated that West had delivered Obama, but this was not what Nelson told the interviewer.  The second objection was that West was not at the Kapi’olani Hospital, based on an obituary available on the Internet. However it turns out, according to new information discovered by an Obama Conspiracy Theories contributor, that  “[West] served as Chief of Staff at … Kapi’olani Maternity Hospital, 1953, and Medical Director, Straub Clinic, 1967-77.” The quote is from a cached web page of the Mamiya Heritage Medical Center. The Mamiya web site is under redesign, but copy has been saved here. So it is very plausible that West was at the Kapi’olani Maternity Hospital (as it was called then) in an executive capacity in 1961.

In 2008 West’s family gave a donation over $5,000 in the doctor’s memory to the Foundations of Hawaii Pacific Health, including the Kapi’olani Health Foundation.

We also know from that memorial article that West was a member of the Outrigger Canoe Club mentioned in the newspaper story. The story, given the best information I have, remains very plausible.

Maybe it’s not too good to be true after all.

Followup. I received this response to an email query:

Our records show that Dr. Rodney T. West was Chief of Staff at Kapiolani Hospital in 1953.  He was certified by the American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology in 1958 and practiced at The Straub Clinic and Hospital until his retirement in December 1977.
Thank you for your interest.
The Queens Medical Center
Mamiya Medical Heritage Center

Update (9 May 2011): With the release of Barack Obama’s long form birth certificate, we learn that Dr. West was not the physician who signed Obama’s birth certificate; it was Dr. David A. Sinclair (also deceased).

Print Friendly

, , , , , , , , ,

82 Responses to More testimony: Obama was born in K…

George Orwell III January 26, 2009 at 10:40 pm #

The FEC doesn’t show any contributions to Bush…

Dr. Conspiracy January 26, 2009 at 10:46 pm #

He did make a lot of contributions to candidates in Hawaii, though.

George Orwell III January 26, 2009 at 11:35 pm #

According to one Hawaiian obituary, Dr. Rodney Westwasa retired Straub Clinic & Hospital obstetrician and gynecologist.
    The Straub Clinic at somepoint became affliated with the Hawaii Pacific Health group which today includes Kapiolani Hospital, the generally believed medical facility where Obama was born.

George Orwell III January 26, 2009 at 11:59 pm #

Here’s the source for Dr. West retiring from practicing medicine in 1956.

Dr. Conspiracy January 27, 2009 at 12:14 am #

I think that merger was like in 2001.

George Orwell III January 27, 2009 at 12:46 am #

So is wrong to say Obama was born at Kapiolani when it might have been better known as the Straub Clinicback in 1961???

Who can say for sure at this point and with thelevel of investigatingthe history to date. I’m just pondering to myself really.

Dr. Conspiracy January 27, 2009 at 7:50 am #

The BIO mimi posted suggests to me that Dr. West was at Kapiolani when Obama was born and went to Straub later. The report remains plausible.

George Orwell III January 27, 2009 at 5:28 pm #

Kapiolani Maternity Hospital, 1953…

Sounds like he wasn’t always just at Straub acoording to that bio.

Dr. Conspiracy January 27, 2009 at 7:28 pm #

Mimi, thanks for finding that very helpful link and to George for picking out the relevant passage for me.

Main article updated!

Looking better.

Dr. Conspiracy January 28, 2009 at 7:35 pm #

Cute application.

George Orwell III January 28, 2009 at 9:45 pm #

Oh well my bad. Fundrace developed by Eyebeam is so much more secure and accurate then the Federal Election Commission’s records that I didn’t know what I was thinking there.

I’m sure it had nothing to do with any Lexis/Nexus searches returning so many false hits and their erroneous linked information either.

mimi May 25, 2009 at 2:29 pm #

Afternoon, Doc. PJ’s is back.

Some info on Kapi`olani Medical Center you may or may not have. Thread in Miscellaneous. Topic: Birth Hospital: It’s official!

NBC May 25, 2009 at 2:37 pm #

Hilarious… And so the case continues to disappear into lack of evidence while the case that Obama was born on US soil, continues to strengthen.
    What misery…

Kandice June 29, 2009 at 3:28 pm #

One thing I find amusing about this “story” is that Obama’s name was NOT Barack Hussin Obama at birth so this story would HAVE to be false!

His name was Barack Hussin Soetoro

Dr. Conspiracy June 29, 2009 at 3:34 pm #

Kandice, I don’t understand your comment. I’ve never seen anyone suggest before that the President’s name was “Soetoro” at his birth. Obama’s mother didn’t meet Soetoro (Obama’s step-father) until some years later. The unsubstantiated claim is that the President was adopted by Soetoro sometime after Obama was 6 years old.

And that’s “Hussein”.

bob July 4, 2009 at 2:18 am #

who cares where he was born! He is the child of a foreigner and therefore must leave his position as Usurper in Chief

NBC July 4, 2009 at 3:33 am #

You’re funny. I am sure you know that the facts disagree with you?

MTF July 20, 2009 at 7:11 pm #

West had a website for his book in which he says he retired in 1975. It’s still up: http://honoluluprepares.com/author.html

Also, a Pearl Harbor memorial website has a picture of him with the caption, “Dr. West, shown here at his Straub Clinic desk before his retirement.” http://www.arizonamemorial.org/locations/arizona-memorial-rodney-west.html

It’s pretty clear from the photo that he was in his 60s before retiring, not 46 years old, as he would have had to have been to retire in 1956.

Dr. Conspiracy July 20, 2009 at 7:15 pm #

I think the claim is that he retired from active practice and became an administrator. Given that he founded an organization for medical administrators, that makes sense.

This was important before it was clarified that there was no claim that West delivered Obama, only that he knew about it.

martin Pinsky November 23, 2009 at 7:07 pm #

Nice that Dr West coveniently appears.

This is anecdotal info and it is one persons voice. Mr. Obama’s first act in his first day in office was t9o seal ALL his records.
    Wonder why. Every prior presdient–I mean all of them–revealed all pertinent records. What is Obama hiding? How about the truth.
    Another executive order places a second wall around throse records in that all inquires and legal activities must go through Holder.

The birth announcement are automatic even with a certificate of live birth easily obtained by anyone in HI attesting to HI birth when if fact the child could have been born elsewhere.

The HI officials can easily say they saw the long form certificate and in a court of law that means less than nothing.

And speaking of nothing how is this ladie’s statement able to stand up against the obvious fact that there is absolutely NOTHING that exists about this man made available–? NOTHING. The bogus Certificate of Live birth has been disproved by experts.

He is simply trying to hide the fact that he is NOT a US citizen whose real name is barry Soetoro after his mothers second husband lolo Soetoro of Indonesia who adopted Obama.

What is Obama hiding and why is he spending close to $2,000,000 of taxpayer monies for legal fees to dfend off court challenges instead of putting it all to reat and releasing the long for BC. Well he has not and doubts are growing exponentially.

There is also a verys erious felony question of the numerous social security he and michel have.

Where is all his college material? Have you seen anything? I haven’t–

Keep looking— but try not to find a pod under your bed to convert you into an Obama zombie body snatcher.

MP

Scientist November 23, 2009 at 8:55 pm #

Hey Marty-Lie down and maybe you’ll feel better. You might also consider rescuing a dog from a shelter. Having someone to care about might be good for you. Being alone all the time is not good.

Black Lion November 23, 2009 at 9:09 pm #

Wow…The infamous Martin Pinsky posting here…Who is next? The 14th generation Revolutionary War hero Peter Fransisco? I was just wondering if you got tired of kissing up to Orly? Have you finally figured out that she doesn’t have a clue? You do realize that your comments make no sense? First of all do you have any proof that the President spent 2 million dollars of the taxpayers money? Of course not because he didn’t. Most of the cases have been dismissed or have been defended by the Justice department. However you should know that because Orly is always overmatched by the Justice Department lawyers. What college material are you talking about? And what does that have to do with being eligible for President? Martin, you are just a bitter old guy that hates the President…Admit it…

G November 23, 2009 at 9:42 pm #

Wow. Just a few days ago several of us commented about how it would be nice to hear from other members of the “birther” community and we tried to come up with a list of which one’s might be close enough to sanity to have a decent argument with.

But now we get this guy from full on crazy-town! LOL! Well, I guess its still amusing. Nothing in his crazy discredited and rehashed screed really worthy of a reply, but it is fun to laugh at the loons!

Black Lion November 23, 2009 at 10:08 pm #

He is a real wingnut…Some of his screeds on Orly’s website are infamous for its insanity and incoherence…

mommybrain November 23, 2009 at 10:17 pm #

At least he didn’t whine about social security numbers.

Dr. Conspiracy November 23, 2009 at 11:26 pm #

Martin Pinsky: If he lied to all states secretarys of state in signing a document stating he was eligible– this man goes to jail to serve serious time for treason and fraud.

So what punishment is appropriate for your lies, or will you hide behind the fact that Obama, as a public figure, doesn’t have standing to sue you for libel?

Scientist November 24, 2009 at 7:23 am #

Dr C-I think you are misstating the laws on libel and public figures. Public figures are not barred from suing for libel, they just have to show that the statement was not only false, but maliciously and knowingly false. In Marty’s (and Orly’s) that shouldn’t be that hard.

Black Lion November 24, 2009 at 9:32 am #

Somehow I don’t think we will see Pinsky here again. He is a one trick pony and doesn’t have the ability to debate any of the issues. I think he will go back to the disturbed world of Orlyland and be happy to be in a place where his screeds are appreciated by other wingnuts…

SFJeff November 24, 2009 at 2:13 pm #

And once again I wonder why in Birtherland lack of ability to spell is apparently a requirement? Is Mario the only Birther who can spell?

The spelling errors always make the craziness seem….well crazier.

Dr. Conspiracy November 24, 2009 at 8:55 pm #

Let me caution those on this blog who speak disparagingly against those who make spelling mistakes. I correct a fair number of spelling errors in the comments made here. Some are my own, some by by Apuzzo and some by those who disagree with him.

Dr. Conspiracy November 24, 2009 at 10:10 pm #

Yeah, I know what Times v. Sullivan says. I was using some literary license to increase the sarcasm.

Catherine West Dale March 24, 2010 at 2:58 pm #

My great uncle was Dr Rodney West, and he delivered me at Kapiolani Hospital on March 26, 1961, the same year Obama was born. That is a fact and it is on my birth certificate.

misha March 24, 2010 at 4:48 pm #

Ms. Dale: I am looking at my NYS birth certificate. It only has my name, city, state, date. It does not have the physician, hospital, or time. I used it to get a driver license and passport. It is printed in the negative, ie white printing on a black background.

That is a fact.

Rickey March 24, 2010 at 4:59 pm #

Catherine West Dale says:

Thank you for the confirmation that Dr. West was still delivering babies in 1961.

Of course, if you ordered a copy of your birth certificate from Hawaii today, the COLB they would send you would not include the information about the hospital and Dr. West.

Like Misha, I was born in New York State and my birth certificate, which was issued to my parents a week after I was born, says nothing about the hospital or the doctor. I suppose that information might be on file with the New York State Department of Health, but if so I have never seen it.

G March 24, 2010 at 7:12 pm #

So, what is your point?

Glad to hear that you still have your original document with you.

Let me ask you the real question – what happens if you request a certified of your birth certificate today? What do you think you will get?

Let me help you out – a document form from HI that looks just like what Obama provided. And hint: it will no longer show that hospital info, because that is not a field of info they print out on the current form.

Dr. Conspiracy March 24, 2010 at 10:49 pm #

Catherine West Dale: My great uncle was Dr Rodney West…

Cathy, I am certainly thrilled that you dropped by to share that really interesting information about Dr. West. I have not been able to find very much about Dr. West’s career, and I would very much appreciate any other biographical information you could supply about him.

Catherine West Dale March 25, 2010 at 11:54 am #

My true copy of my birth cert, including the hospital and signature of Dr Rodney T. West, was issued July 17, 1984. Different states, at different times, include or disclude certain info.

Catherine West Dale March 25, 2010 at 11:56 am #

I’ll ask my dad, he knows a lot more about his uncle than I do.

Also wanted to add that Dr Rodney T. West delivered my sister at Kapiolani Hospital in Mar 1964.

dunstvangeet March 25, 2010 at 12:53 pm #

That’s great that you know who delivered you. I’d say that most Americans don’t actually know. I couldn’t tell you. I can barely tell you the hospital that I was born at (which by the way is no longer a hospital now).

I’m looking at my birth certificate from Oregon, and it shows no hospital, it shows no doctor, it has virtually the same amount of information that Obama’s birth certificate from Hawaii has. I was able to use that birth certificate to get a driver’s license from the State of Oregon. I was able to use that birth certificate to get a passport from the State Department. I’ve been able to use that birth certificate to do everything that I’ve needed to.

But thank you for showing that Dr. Rodney West was still delivering babies in 1961, though.

DickWhitman March 25, 2010 at 2:30 pm #

Let me guess, you’re BC says it was “accepted” in the lower right corner.

nbc March 25, 2010 at 2:35 pm #

Fool

DickWhitman March 25, 2010 at 2:57 pm #

As I have shown, COLBs from the same period showed the same text as Obama’s. In other words, the wording was changed.Fool

Yes, nbc, similar situations result in similar words.

When an application for a Vital Record is attested to, i.e. Parents signature, Doc’s signature, Hospital Admin Signature, then the BC is “accepted.” In other words, the registrar is accepting the data on the application as factual and free of fraud because it is signed and dated by the principles involved in the birth event.

When the registrar receives a Court order to create a vital record, the registrar creates the record and it is “filed”. The registrar is not given the opportunity to accept or reject the order. The registrar may only follow the order.

Understand, fool?

Scientist March 25, 2010 at 3:00 pm #

What grounds would any court have to change place of birth? Please cite a specific law and an example where that happened.

SFJeff March 25, 2010 at 3:55 pm #

I can’t think of any reason a court would change a place of birth, unless the original BC had the wrong place of birth. One cannot have a “Place of Birth Reassignment” surgery

nbc March 25, 2010 at 4:04 pm #

That is incorrect as I have conclusively shown.

Fool

2007

Unk
    Unk
    Filed
    2008

nbc March 25, 2010 at 4:19 pm #

Filed and accepted are two different dates with the date filed being the more relevant one since it sets the time limit for late filings.
    In other words, if late filing is 30 days then date accepted may show a late filing while it was filed in time.
    That’s the reason to bring the HI COLB in line with the US standard.

nbc March 25, 2010 at 4:23 pm #

If you check the CDC standard birth certificate, you can see the date filed prominently displayed.

DickWhitman March 25, 2010 at 4:32 pm #

Try researching a foundling with an updated record after a court hearing.

DickWhitman March 25, 2010 at 4:40 pm #

Unk
    Filed
    2007Unk
    Unk
    Filed
    2008

How do you know the circumstances of the “filed” unknown(s)?

Were they foundlings with updated court orders? Did they have their adoptions voided?

If the unknown(s) were born in hospitals, what are the parents sig., Doc’s sig, and the Admin’s sig.?

Try to follow along, when the record is attested with signatures, the registrar “accepts” it.

If a court orders the record, then the registrar has no other choice but to file the record.

BHO II is not unique. There were other child who have had and continue to have their records “filed”, while others are “accepted.”

Fool.

nbc March 25, 2010 at 4:46 pm #

Show us a COLB from Hawaii requested after let’s say 2007 which says accepted and you would have a point. Until then your wishful speculations deserve only one response:

Fool (Romans 1:22)

nbc March 25, 2010 at 4:47 pm #

More empty speculation.

Fool (Romans 1:22)

Scientist March 25, 2010 at 5:22 pm #

A foundling? Ha, ha.

Anyway, if a court ruled that a foundling was born in Honolulu, then for all legal purposes that would be where they were born. They would be entitled to all the rights and privileges of anyone else born there.

nbc March 25, 2010 at 6:04 pm #

Do not look for too much logic in Sven’s musings. He is blinded by his dislikes.

G March 25, 2010 at 7:09 pm #

Dick/Sven says:

Try researching a foundling with an updated record after a court hearing.

No Dick. Why don’t you do your own research.

You are the one making the claim, so back it up.

Until then, you’re nothing but a person who makes up silly stuff and has no credibility.

SFJeff March 25, 2010 at 7:13 pm #

I really like the foundling example though.

Assume for a moment that a baby is born say in Mexico, and whisked across the borders shortly after birth and then left at a hospital with no identification. A birth certificate is issued based upon where the baby was found.

I suppose the Birther argument would be that technically that baby is not a NBC- and technically they would be right. However not only would no one know this, but the whole argument about ‘foreign influence’ becomes even more absurd- how would a baby abandoned at birth, with no knowledge of foreign birth or any actual connections to the country of birth be influenced in anyway by its actual birth in another country.

The only rational way to approach it is to assume that a foundling is indeed born in the country that the BC is issued.

I mean, if and when we have our first foundling Presidential candidate.

nbc March 25, 2010 at 7:52 pm #

Come on G, Sven has a track record of failing to back him his assertions with any research…

Mary Brown March 25, 2010 at 7:57 pm #

My grandson was born in Oregon this past summer. I was there and paid attention to how they report births and to certificates. My son and daughter-in-law got three very pretty certificates with foot prints. One was for them and two were for the proud grandparents. Printed on all of them were statements declaring them NOT to be legal documents. The actual certificate, as you say, has no more on it then Obama’s.

Dr. Conspiracy March 25, 2010 at 10:05 pm #

Dick, you continue to ignore the fact that Obama’s birth was registered 4 days after the date of birth. There was no time for your imaginary court hearing.

Dr. Conspiracy March 25, 2010 at 10:08 pm #

I know that generally vital statistics offices do what the courts tell them to do. However, we can be certain that Obama was not a foundling since his parents are listed on the birth certificate and it is not labeled “Delayed” or “Altered,” and the date filed was within 4 days of the date of birth.

Dr. Conspiracy March 25, 2010 at 10:11 pm #

The only situation I know of (and for the life if me I don’t know why Sven hasn’t used this ploy) where a court or a vital statistics office would knowingly issue a false birth certificate is in the case of witness protection.

Dr. Conspiracy March 25, 2010 at 10:19 pm #

You needn’t guess. The text is pre-printed on the blank form.

nbC March 25, 2010 at 10:19 pm #

Exactly but Sven does not care about such silly facts.

G March 26, 2010 at 12:05 am #

LOL! I know, nbc, I know.

Sven never has proof of anything. We all know that everything he says, he’s made up out of whole cloth and pulled out of his butt.

Doesn’t mean I can’t continue to call him out on it.

SFJeff March 26, 2010 at 12:53 am #

I don’t know whether I was filed or accepted. The horror of the thought.

misha March 26, 2010 at 1:16 am #

“I don’t know whether I was filed or accepted.”

Mine says “considered.”

JoZeppy March 26, 2010 at 11:41 am #

Mine (NJ “long form”) was neither filed or accept, but merely “received by local registrar.” I wonder what that means?

Could it mean there really is no magic to the words? Heavens no! That might be actual evidence of Federalism, and the states having the freedom to use whatever language on the forms they want, and change it for no apparent reason…Nah…makes too much sense. I’m sure it must be evidence of some bizzaro conspiracy surrounding my birth.

DickWhitman March 26, 2010 at 2:37 pm #

In a voided adoption, the event is annulled. The adoptee is identified as persona non grata. The record on the adoption is sealed and the complete data set on the new vital record created is amendable.

To minimize risk to the adoptee, the record of an amendment is sealed and stricken from the vital record. Consequently, the date “filed” is backdated to eliminate the discrepancy in the date born and the date “filed”, i.e. born in 1961 and “filed” by order of the court in 1971. The 10 year discrepancy between the born date and “filed” would provide a substantive clue to an amended vital record when the risk of detection of a voided adoption is a factor.

Unfortunately for Barack, a Certificate of Loss of Nationality is issued by the Department of State. A CLN can only be rescinded by action in the Federal Court. Once the CLN is issued for a minor, it becomes final 6 months after the child’s 18th birthday.

DickWhitman March 26, 2010 at 2:45 pm #

I explained this is a another message to you.

The Soetoro adoption was annulled. Barry Soetoro became persona non grata, he never existed. Barack can legally state he was never Barry Soetoro.

The date “filed” by registrar is backdated from 1971 to 1961 to protect Barack from any repercussions from a voided adoption. It wasn’t his fault he was adopted and it wasn’t his fault his adoption was voided.

A problem arose when he was issued a Certificate of Loss of Nationality, CLN. A state court does not have jurisdiction on this matter. Barack’s CLN became final 6 months after his 18th birthday.

Scientist March 26, 2010 at 2:52 pm #

Nothing changes the 2 facts that matter:

1. He is President.
    2. You’re not.

Bye-bye sucker…

Greg March 26, 2010 at 2:53 pm #

Repeat: Any proof that a CLN exists?

misha March 26, 2010 at 3:03 pm #

Any proof that a CLN exists?

Obama’s agents have sealed it, and no one will release it until 50 years after Obama is out of office.

Don’t you read the newspapers?

SFJeff March 26, 2010 at 3:30 pm #

Sven,

Show us the imaginary Obama CLN
    Show us the imaginary Soetero Adoption paperwork

Or does the lack of substantiation ruin a good piece of fiction?

Black Lion March 26, 2010 at 3:38 pm #

I know I am a broken record Sven/Dick but do you have some evidence of the so called fictional adoption or loss of nationality? Or better yet can you show us an example of your inplausable scenario every happening? Because you make it seem like this was something that would not have been that uncommon. So I figure that you can provide us with either an example or proof that his occured. Come on, don’t you want to actually provide proof or do you want to continue to look like Orly and be another term for implausable or ridiculous. For example ” the dectective put forth a theory of the crime but the rest of the detectives realized that the theory was akin to a Sven.”

Black Lion March 26, 2010 at 3:42 pm #

Or a better example would be Mario’s insistence on continuing his so called Pakistan Travel ban nonsense so in that case we would say that “Mario is trying to pull a Sven. on the rest of the commenters on this blog” I think it makes sense. When something is ridiculous bunch of crap we will just call it a Sven.

Scientist March 26, 2010 at 3:46 pm #

Dick: You are getting sloppy. A Certificate of Loss of Nationality (CLN) only removes ordinary citizenship. Natural born citizenship is a completely different beast (see filings by Apuzzo, Donofrio and Taitz). In order to lose natural born citizenship you need a Certificate of Loss of Natural Born Citizenship (CLNBC). Jeez, can’t I trust you with simple tasks?

nbc March 26, 2010 at 6:33 pm #

No evidence as usual?

Loser

Dr. Conspiracy March 26, 2010 at 8:20 pm #

Sven, if what you were say were true, it would be available in State vital records statute or agency regulation. Put up or shut up.

Dr. Conspiracy March 26, 2010 at 8:24 pm #

That’s “date filed.”

Kathryn N April 25, 2010 at 9:04 pm #

Congratulations on the birth of your grandson.