After an excellent article on Obama eligibility in the Wall Street Journal, a followup on Friday takes the major birther fallacies head on. This is a “must read” for the complete conspiracy theorist. Topics include:
- A child is not a natural-born citizen unless both parents are U.S. citizens.
- Obama might be a citizen of Indonesia, not the U.S.
- Obama might have been an illegitimate child.
- Why has Obama spent X dollars defending himself against lawsuits when he could just produce the original birth certificate and make the whole thing go away?
- The serial number of Obama’s birth certificate is fishy.
The conspiracy theory stuff is way down the page, so don’t think you have the wrong article.
Some birthers imagine that there is a difference between being a “citizen by birth” or a “native citizen” on the one hand and a “natural born” citizen on the other. “Eccentric” is too kind a word for this notion, which is either daft or dishonest.