Crepuscular

One way I come up with subjects to write about is letting my mind run free, and the best way for me to do that is to mow grass. While I was mowing, the word  “crepuscular1” came to mind, along with the fact that  the number one birther these days has a PhD from Harvard. I asked myself: is birther writing more or less difficult than anti-birther writing?

I set up a research project, but the results weren’t interesting. The writing here is about 11th grade level, and Corsi and Unruh at WorldNetDaily tend to be somewhat higher, so that didn’t provide any sensational headline. Anomalous multisyllabic words exemplified by “crepuscular,” appearing in sentences lengthier than characteristic sentences in an article, can bias the Flesch-Kinkaid readability results towards a higher reading level than one otherwise resulting from the analysis of material in a publication. The preceding artificially “dumbed up” sentence rated a grade level of 26.2.

The good thing is that I have this neat word to use about birthers, I have an article about something, and I have learned that I should run my articles through a grammar checker.

1Crepuscular refers to animals that are active at twilight, an apt word I think for the birthers.

, ,

18 Responses to Crepuscular

Stephen August 21, 2011 at 2:12 pm #

Like you, I have to define crepuscular every time I use it. I get similar results with penultimate (next to the last as in ‘the penultimate chapter of a book’.)

misha August 21, 2011 at 3:54 pm #

“the number one birther these days has a PhD from Harvard.”

In Corsi’s case, PhD stands for ‘pile higher and deeper.’ WND is written at about an 8th grade level.

SueDB August 21, 2011 at 6:38 pm #

misha:
    “the number one birther these days has a PhD from Harvard.”

In Corsi’s case, PhD stands for pile higher and deeper.’ WND is written at about an 8th grade level.

And still goes over many reader’s heads.

Dr. Conspiracy August 21, 2011 at 8:42 pm #

Not the Unruh and Corsi articles I checked.

misha: ’ WND is written at about an 8th grade level.

Dr. Conspiracy August 21, 2011 at 8:43 pm #

Penultimate I knew; crepuscular I had to look up.

Stephen:
    Like you, I have to define crepuscular every time I use it.I get similar results with penultimate (next to the last as in the penultimate chapter of a book’.)

Keith August 21, 2011 at 11:08 pm #

Stephen: I get similar results with penultimate

I never have trouble with penultimate. I play croquet and the next to last hoop is called penultimate; the last hoop is rover, then you peg out.

Dr. Conspiracy August 22, 2011 at 9:47 am #

WND commentator Jack Cashill has a PhD from Purdue.

Paul August 22, 2011 at 10:40 am #

Sounds like it should mean “crunchy on the outside”. I fact, as far a I’m concerned that IS what it means. (Hey, if Burfers can decide what “Natural Born Citizen” means, I can choose my own definition of “crepuscular”.)

Majority Will August 22, 2011 at 10:58 am #

WND commentator Jack Cashill has a PhD from Purdue.

Ted Kaczynski, also known as the Unabomber (university and airline bomber), has a PhD in mathematics from the University of Michigan.

Sef August 22, 2011 at 11:34 am #

WND commentator Jack Cashill has a PhD from Purdue.

What was his major? Chickens?

Majority Will August 22, 2011 at 11:42 am #

Sef: What was his major? Chickens?

Yellow journalism major.

ASK Esq August 22, 2011 at 4:01 pm #

Apropos of the title of this thread, I first encountered that wonderful word thanks to Edward Gorey

Anyone else think birtherism is reminiscent of The Thing That Wouldn’t Leave?

Rickey August 23, 2011 at 2:28 am #

Not the Unruh and Corsi articles I checked.

They may write reasonably well, but they certainly have lost any claim they may have had to be regarded as legitimate journalists.

I have written to Unruh several times, spelling out for him how Supreme Court conferences operate. When the last few birther appeals were scheduled for conferences, I explained to Unruh that they had already been rejected because not a single justice had asked the government to file reply briefs and that the conferences were mere formalities. Unruh ignored what I wrote and he continued to beat the drum that SCOTUS might grant cert in those cases.

As for Corsi, I’m still waiting for him to provide evidence that his Hawaii P.I. actually has a license. And while he’s at it, he can explain to us why he didn’t know about the “two-citizen parent” requirement when he wrote “Obama Nation.”

Daniel August 23, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

Rickey:

Rickey August 23, 2011 at 5:04 pm #

Daniel: I suspect Unruh already knew everything you were telling him, but admitting it had no profit margin.

That wouldn’t surprise me. I’ve long suspected that Farah, Coulter, et al. don’t really believe a lot of their bile, but it is very lucrative bile.

Randy August 24, 2011 at 12:29 am #

I messed with a co-worker and told them that Rush Limbaugh is really a liberal, making money hand over fist off of the right wing with his I am an Entertainer not a Journalist speil. I expect i’m off the xmas card list. He will never listen to Rush the same way. Good times.

misha August 24, 2011 at 12:34 am #

Randy: I messed with a co-worker

If you really want to mess with a co-worker, ask if they heard the rumor that Ann Coulter had an abortion at Planned Parenthood.

misha August 24, 2011 at 12:47 am #

Randy: I messed with a co-worker

I was in the check-out line at Costco, and the cashier told me she listens all the time to Glenn Beck. I said to her, “did you know Beck fell off the wagon? I hear he’s back in rehab.”

Shocked silence.