Birthers must be in an uproar about this video courtesy of David Weigel at Slate.com that purports to show Barack Obama being born in a hospital IN KENYA. How do we know that’s in Kenya? Just look at this image from the film:
That’s a big oops, showing the flag of independent Kenya in 1961. The flag back then was:
There are a number of other objections to the video such as:
- The newborn looks far too big.
- The newborn has teeth (only 1 in 2000 newborns have teeth)
- The newborn’s eyes are open
- There is far to little blood
- There umbilical cord isn’t tied off
- The film is recorded at 24 frames per second, while 8 mm was shot at 16 FPS and Super 8 at 18 FPS (for amateur use). The claim is that the original was shot in Super 8, a system not introduced until 1965.
- The flag of Kenya is the wrong flag for 1961.
- The mother’s chart has a color Kenyan flag on it. Such forms wouldn’t have had color printing.
- The video appears to show standard video editing “old film” effects added.
- The calendar on the wall has August 4 circled, but later in the film the circle is missing.
- The mother bears only a resemblance to Stanley Ann Dunham, and is obviously not her.
- The photo of Dunham is way too large for a real hospital form, even if it made sense to have a photo on the form.
- Why is the photo of King George VI hospital on the wall the very one that appears on birther web sites? Given that the photo was from 1952, why wasn’t it framed?
Here’s an interview with the supposed source of the film.