The Doc goes political (again)

I try to maintain a neutral political stance on this web site. I have only endorsed two political candidates that I recall in over 4 years, Paul Penzone who was running against Joe Arpaio for Maricopa County Sheriff, and Herman Cain who was a proxy for Stephen Colbert in the Republican Presidential Primary in South Carolina. I’m going to do it again.

Photo of Mark SandfordIn a special election to fill the vacant US House seat from the 1st District of South Carolina, former Governor Mark Sanford (left) lead in the Republican Primary vote yesterday, although not with a clear majority in the field of 16, and will face a runoff. Gov. Sanford embarrassed the state when he told everyone that he was hiking the Appalachian trail, but in reality he was shacked up with his mistress in Argentina, a trip paid for by South Carolina taxpayers. Sanford was also noted for his obstruction of federal stimulus funds headed for the state then facing a 9.5% unemployment rate. Sanford was backed by contributions from conservative billionaire David Koch.

Elizabeth Colbert Busch photoOpposing Sanford is Democrat and job creator Elizabeth Colbert Busch, who handily won the Democratic Primary with 96% of the vote. Busch is the sister of comedian Herman Cain Stephen Colbert (sorry, I keep getting those two confused) who himself was raised in the 1st District. According to a recent statement from Congressman John Lewis of South Carolina, she is his sister too:

Elizabeth Colbert Busch is my friend and my sister. I am endorsing her in the Special Election for South Carolina’s First District.

I am officially announcing my support for Busch too, even though she is not my sister.

image

, , ,

13 Responses to The Doc goes political (again)

The Magic M March 20, 2013 at 11:47 am #

Finally a Bus(c)h one can support. 😉

El Diablo Negro March 20, 2013 at 11:59 am #

Elizabeth and Stephen have the exact same smile.

Andrew Vrba, PmG March 20, 2013 at 12:14 pm #

El Diablo Negro:
    Elizabeth and Stephen have the exact same smile.

But can she say “BIRDMAN! Get in here!” or “Ha HA! …Cookies on dowels!” the same as him?

Norbrook March 20, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

I want her to win for three reasons:
    1) She’s a Democrat
    2) She’s got a heck of a resume and will make a good representative
    3) Then she can appear on her brother’s show. It would be epic.

Mitch March 20, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

If she’s half as smart as Stephen, she’s smarter than 99% of Congress.

Deborah March 20, 2013 at 4:23 pm #

See, this is how family dynasties originate, and make history books, and their readers create conspiracy theories about evil empires. 🙂 We need a government of merit, not hereditary!

Actually I have not done any research on today’s topic…and in retrospect this could be seen as pure ignorance, but…

ObiWanCannoli March 20, 2013 at 8:00 pm #

She should be contesting this election (or any for that matter) with the name “Elizabeth Colbert”. Her last name is too close to a family I shall not name.

The Magic M March 21, 2013 at 6:32 am #

It may gain her some extra votes from dumb right-leaning yokels thinking “oh, how nice, another Bush!”, though. 😉

Remember that this is why the ruling party of India made sure to have a Gandhi, any Gandhi, on the ticket for decades.

The Magic M March 21, 2013 at 6:33 am #

El Diablo Negro: Elizabeth and Stephen have the exact same smile.

Is it the same as the “smiley face”? OMG, now the pieces of the puzzle fit! *lol*

JPotter March 21, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

Re: Sandford ….. is that [perjorative] still in office???

I did not realize that.

I am so, so sorry. Coming from Okieland, I can say I feel a similar pain.

justlw March 21, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

JPotter: Re: Sandford ….. is that [perjorative] still in office???

No, he’s not. He was censured, but completed his term as governor, and has been out of office since January 2011. So this is his first step on the Appalachian comeback trail.

Oh, it’s “Sanford,” by the way.

Paul Pieniezny March 21, 2013 at 9:36 pm #

justlw: Oh, it’s “Sanford,” by the way.

I made that same mistake a few times myself. I’m sure it is connected to the Dred Scott decision, where there was a Sandford involved.

Has anyone ever tried to rickroll Sanford by playing the Argentinian tango song “Amor y Celos” in his presence – or by putting a sound track of the song over a video of him doing a speech, preferably while he is describing the Appalachian trail? Not suggesting that anyone should do so of course.

ZixiOfIx March 22, 2013 at 9:09 pm #

As someone who has lived in South Carolina twice (and remembers the words to the “Sandlapper” song), I’d like to endorse Elizabeth Colbert Busch.

She has to be much better than Mark “Hikin’ the Appalachian Trail” Sandford.