Where do we meet if we get separated?

This will be the Operation American Spring thread for the event scheduled to start May 16. I was looking at one of the official web pages for OAS and couldn’t find where folks are supposed to meet. Perhaps they figure that there would be so many people there, that finding each other wouldn’t be a problem:

One million or more of the assembled 10 million must be prepared to stay in D.C. as long as it takes to see Obama, Biden, Reid, McConnell, Boehner, Pelosi, and Attorney General Holder removed from office.

I wouldn’t be so sure about those numbers. The OAS site further says:

A duck cannot be turned into a fox; an elephant cannot be turned into a flea; the laws of nature will not permit.

Nor can a bunch of keyboard warriors be turned into the largest crowd ever to assemble in Washington, DC.

Web cams in Washington DC:

OAS Web Sites:

Reader Poll:

Were the moon landings faked?

• No (96%, 141 Votes)
  • Yes (3%, 4 Votes)
  • Undecided (1%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 147

Loading ... Loading ...

Looks like it might rain.

Update:

I have deleted the links to the Washington Monument webcam pointing to the National Mall. It appears not to be changing, but displaying an archived image. If anyone knows of a good webcam to use, please leave a comment. I included a link to traffic cams in DC.

Print Friendly

115 Responses to Where do we meet if we get separated?

Smirk4Food May 9, 2014 at 12:10 pm #

You mean it won’t be like my teen years? Meet by the fountain at the mall at 4?

Dave May 9, 2014 at 1:01 pm #

I was wondering the same thing, and a couple days ago I poked around OAS websites and found a few places where they mentioned “rally points.” There are some maps. The website requires you to register before you can look at these maps, and I couldn’t be bothered. I suppose anyone could, I don’t think they’re vetting who registers.

Anyhow, I think this indicates they understand the need to have meetup locations. But I don’t think they understand that they need to have one meetup location, because they won’t have enough people to population more than one.

Bonsall Obot May 9, 2014 at 1:03 pm #

We might be looking at the Platonic Ideal of Birfer Rallies… one where even the organizers fail to show up.

Bob May 9, 2014 at 1:05 pm #

Dave May 9, 2014 at 1:07 pm #

This is really not a birther rally — I’ve looked over the insane crap on their website, and apparently birther stuff is too insane even for them, because it’s not there.

Bonsall Obot:

CCB May 9, 2014 at 1:46 pm #

The “organizer” of Operation American Spring is 76 year old Harry Riley. Riley retired from the United States Army in 1989 as a colonel having served in the Military Intelligence Corps. It appears that his highest command post was commander of the 712th Military Intelligence Battalion. This battalion was at Augsburg, Germany, where it intercepted and analysed Soviet military communications. Otherwise, Riley was a staff officer or worked for the National Security Agency. See:

My point is that Riley has no training or experience in organizing, assembling or moving large groups of men. “Let’s go hang out at the Mall,” sounds less like a rallying cry than an invitation from a pre-teen. Unfortunately for the intelligent and competent members of MI, Riley gives credence to the observation that military intelligence is an oxymoron.

Bonsall Obot May 9, 2014 at 1:50 pm #

I get what you’re saying, but that’s like saying they’re not motivated by racism because they don’t use racial epithets on their website.

They’re not selling it as a Birfer conclave only because Birferism doesn’t sell, but it’s the same people with the same grievances, seeking the same outcome.

dunstvangeet May 9, 2014 at 2:06 pm #

CCB:”Let’s go hang out at the Mall,”

RanTalbott May 9, 2014 at 2:58 pm #

Given the rather vile nature of what so many birthers routinely say, my guess would be that, if they get separated, they meet in divorce court.

JPotter May 9, 2014 at 3:00 pm #

10 million what …. lice?

Dr. Conspiracy May 9, 2014 at 3:02 pm #

Apparently if you get lost any place in Moscow, you meet at the fountain in GUM.

Smirk4Food: You mean it won’t be like my teen years? Meet by the fountain at the mall at 4?

The European May 9, 2014 at 4:28 pm #

Smirk4Food:
    You mean it won’t be like my teen years? Meet by the fountain at the mall at 4?

Many years ago I made a rendezvous – in Germany – for a certain day about 6 weeks later – “at noon at the post-office in Rena (Norway)”. It worked !

bgansel9 May 9, 2014 at 9:55 pm #

Bob: I would guess that the real purpose of this (non)event is for some organizer grifter to accept donations.

Yes, but of course they are hoping that some lone wolf will get inspired enough to find the balls to physically remove Obama from the White House while this event happens as well.

bgansel9 May 9, 2014 at 9:58 pm #

Thanks for the webcams. This will be awesome watching NOTHING happen in real time. :P

The Magic M (not logged in) May 10, 2014 at 4:56 am #

It seems a good rule of thumb is striking “million” from their claims to get closer to reality. ;)

bgansel9: This will be awesome watching NOTHING happen in real time.

But we’ll certainly see some fake photos (from earlier DC events) to “prove” they got their zillions and really scared the shoot out of Obama so that he now plans to leave office in January 2017 (instead of declaring Marshall Law and General Failure and staying until the end of his reptilian life in 400 years from now, so VICTORY).

Lani May 10, 2014 at 5:27 am #

Shucks. I’m traveling on the 16th, so I guess I’ll miss the gazillion campers on the mall. :( Maybe they will stick around for a day or two so I can watch them on the webcams?

The European May 10, 2014 at 6:56 am #

There is a good answer to that question:

return to the place where you have seen the other person last and stay there. If the other does the same, you will be reunited ….

aarrgghh May 11, 2014 at 6:55 pm #

via oas site:

“Note change in Concept of Operations ..

[yada yada yada]

Regarding permits……….

Patriots are not going to DC as part of an official organization…….it’s constitutional freedom of speech, freedom of assembly. We don’t need a permit to visit Washington, D.C. as individuals. Groups of 25 or less need no permit… We will have no groups over 25………..”

Andrew Vrba, PmG May 11, 2014 at 7:50 pm #

I can already hear the excuses, for the underwhelming turnout.

Dr. Conspiracy May 11, 2014 at 8:00 pm #

It rained at Lymanfest last year.

Andrew Vrba, PmG:
    I can already hear the excuses, for the underwhelming turnout.

Dr. Conspiracy May 11, 2014 at 8:01 pm #

I have added a weather forecast and a reader poll to the article. I have also made the article “sticky” so it always appears at the top of the page.

Andrew Vrba, PmG May 11, 2014 at 8:04 pm #

I read through some of their forums. What a bunch of rubes. They announce their plans on how to deal with “plants”…but do so in a publicly readable forum.
    They might as well have a bull horn, and scream “Okay! This is our super secret plan! Don’t tell anyone!!!”

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater May 11, 2014 at 8:25 pm #

The poll isn’t fair. Are we counting the number of sock puppets to get to 100? Do we also include in the drones as people?

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater May 11, 2014 at 8:26 pm #

Andrew Vrba, PmG:

I suspect there’s going to be violence that breaks out as they turn on each other calling each other plants.

Bonsall Obot May 11, 2014 at 8:28 pm #

I am so looking forward to this week’s Parade of Birfer Fail. I expect hilarious developments each of the next seven days. The civil war brewing at BR is particularly amusing.

Please proceed, Birfers.

Keith May 11, 2014 at 9:34 pm #

Your poll is way too optimistic. I would like to vote “less than 50″. I actually suspect it will be less than 25, but I believe in lifting the odds in my favor as much as possible.

Arthur May 11, 2014 at 9:58 pm #

Bonsall Obot:

Please proceed, Birfers.

There is some major weirdness going on there! First, “Falcon” and his cohorts are piling on a poster named “furtive.” Then, Nancy Owens is back. She’s posted on YouTube a phone conversation she had with Mike Volin, in which Volin appears to say that Mike Zullo is actually Mike Moore. Over the past year, the name of “Mike Moore” has appeared in Nancy’s posts. Apparently, he was a police investigator in Clewiston, Florida a few decades ago, and Nancy somehow believes that he’s masquerading–apparently with the help of some age reversing drug–as Mike Zullo. In a show of just how crazy she’s become, furtive appears to be on Nancy’s side on this one. This has generated considerable backbiting. Oh, how I enjoy observing birthers eating their own.

Rickey May 11, 2014 at 11:07 pm #

aarrgghh:

Quoting OAS site:

aarrgghh May 12, 2014 at 12:05 am #

via birther report: karin currie haz a worry …

“I’m worried about American Spring.If they have a million+ people there they should hopefully be ok.If it’s a couple of hundred thousand I don’t think the outcome will be too good.I hope I’m wrong and everything goes to plan.”

Daniel May 12, 2014 at 12:46 am #

RanTalbott May 12, 2014 at 1:02 am #

Daniel: I had to vote for 100 because there was no option for crowds numbering in the dozen.

Too pessimistic. They got 100 in November. In May, when small-government conservatives don’t have to worry about their Medicare-purchased Hoverounds getting stuck in the snow or having their batteries freeze, they’ll get closer to 300-500.

The Magic M May 12, 2014 at 4:14 am #

Keith: I would like to vote “less than 50″. I actually suspect it will be less than 25

If it were a pure birther event, I would agree. It being a general nut event, I suppose it will get slightly more (remember even the KKKlayman November rally – which also wasn’t a birther rally – had about 100 people) from the generic Tea Party crowd.

roadburner May 12, 2014 at 5:15 am #

Andrew Vrba, PmG: I can already hear the excuses, for the underwhelming turnout.

i forsee an even bigger problem for them.

they are saying that those who attend bearing badly spelled/racist signs will be obots sent for the purposes of making the birfoons look bad (as if it were possible to make them look worse), and that they should be disregarded.

considering how many attend with that type of sign, if we disregard that as well then the attendance will be even less.

i can feel the needle on my smirk-o-meter rising already

:D

Notorial Dissent May 12, 2014 at 6:04 am #

I am still of the opinion that 0, 10, 12, and 25 need to be included in the poll. I’m just not as optimistic as some here. I think the smaller than 25 groups comment from their own house is indicative and foreshadowing of events, or more to the point, not to come. I think as the magic date arrives the excuses will begin to flurry and there will be more of them than there will attendees. From what I’ve seen so far, this is a bunch of old jammers and wannabes who are all talk.

I seriously doubt if most of them can afford bus fare from where ever they are living to the local laundromat, let alone real travel expenses to DC and the expense of staying there any length of time or eating there. There is nothing I’ve seen that makes me believe that this crowd is capable of anything more than whining and yammering, of which they seem to do a great deal. There certainly is/has been no real planning of coordination involved at any level, and I am a firm believer of as it is at the top so it is at the bottom.

I particularly like the bit about the “badly spelled/racist signs”, when that is more of a hallmark of this crowd from what I’ve seen, at least the bad spelling and grammar certainly has been.

The Magic M May 12, 2014 at 6:57 am #

Notorial Dissent: There is nothing I’ve seen that makes me believe that this crowd is capable of anything more than whining and yammering, of which they seem to do a great deal.

They always want others to go first, or go instead.
    Just looking at the endless repetitions of “this time is the last chance to resolve this peacefully (really the last time this time, not like the 99 other times I said it before)”. Or how those who regurgitate the “water the tree of liberty” line never volunteer to be in the front line when the watering is about to begin.

Bob May 12, 2014 at 7:46 am #

I haven’t been this excited about an event since Jerome Corsi flew a Where’s the birth certificate? banner over a stadium with a closed dome.

Upgradedd May 12, 2014 at 8:02 am #

How can they expect more than 100 without a count down clock ?

roadburner May 12, 2014 at 8:02 am #

The Magic M: BR>It’s like there are 1,000 of them and each is hoping the other 999 will go/charge/shoot/whatever while they can cheer from their basement.

flashback time!

that brought back an incident from a shady part of my past when in a tense situation, the person standing next to me said `i´ve got a knife….who wants to use it?!´ :D

thinking on the actual numbers though, the mid terms might have an influence on this one, so they might actually hit 5 figures

just a thought…..

Bonsall Obot May 12, 2014 at 8:21 am #

“Let’s you and him fight!”

Arthur May 12, 2014 at 9:07 am #

RanTalbott: I just wish Doc hadn’t instituted his privacy policy: I want the names of the people who voted for “10,000,000″, ‘cuz I have some beachfront property in Casa Grande to sell.

I voted for 10,000,000, because I’m just a disruptive smart ass.

Craig HS May 12, 2014 at 9:50 am #

This is too funny. If they get these hundreds of thousands, or millions of attendees they’re after but they’re all in little groups of 25, how are they going to avoid tripping over each other? Maybe if they all hum the “mission impossible” theme as they run around in their little ninja packs, trying hard to not be in the same place at the same time as the other groups, it’ll alert the football team-sized group just around the corner and they can back away into the shadows carefully…

JPotter May 12, 2014 at 10:11 am #

I too got stuck, looking for the “less than 100″ button.
    Then I decided the choices were maximums.
    0–100 it is.
    This is run on “The Price is Right” rules, right?

Dr. Conspiracy May 12, 2014 at 10:19 am #

OK, I changed the caption from 100 to 1-100.

I went looking for new stories on this thing and came up pretty much empty. Western Journalism is about the only people covering it, and of course they’re hardly real medial..

JPotter: I too got stuck, looking for the “less than 100″ button.

Dr. Conspiracy May 12, 2014 at 10:36 am #

Update:

JPotter May 12, 2014 at 10:36 am #

What would be interesting would be to see how many people acknowledge, over time, to behind in DC for OAS.

Some nutty diehards have no shame, and will proudly proclaim their lunacy even if they are 2 people on a streetcorner.

… and these are probably the only nuts who will show up anyway.

But, should there be any more-or-less normals who just got caught up in a moment, I bet they’ll melt away and/or suddenly revert to being just tourists when it dawns on them no massive crowd is materializing!

Rickey May 12, 2014 at 10:38 am #

I checked on Travelocity and confirmed that there are still plenty of hotel and motel rooms available in D.C. for this weekend.

Thinker May 12, 2014 at 11:55 am #

This Before Its News post has a really long video and quite lengthy (for a blog post) article on the rifts cropping up in Operation American Spring. It’s mostly conspiracy tripe about secret CIA operatives, planned false flag attacks, etc., but it shows that the wingnuts are falling apart.

I think we all saw this coming, didn’t we?

Rickey May 12, 2014 at 12:30 pm #

Thinker:

I think we all saw this coming, didn’t we?

There’s a whole lot of crazy there, although this part rings true and has to sting:

Sheriff Richard Mack’s Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association has also withdrawn its support from OAS. CSPOA spokesman Sam Bushman said that the leadership at OAS “had no plan” past the initial day of protest.

Rickey May 12, 2014 at 12:33 pm #

The latest weather forecast for Friday in D.C.:

Friday Showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 72. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Friday Night A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 54. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Majority Will May 12, 2014 at 1:29 pm #

Rickey:
    The latest weather forecast for Friday in D.C.:

It might be cloudy with a chance of meatballs.

RanTalbott May 12, 2014 at 1:55 pm #

Majority Will: It might be cloudy with a chance of meatballs.

Or meatheads.

I entered the GPS coordinates for the Mall, and the forecast changed to include “Significant volumes of hot air, with the possibility of gusts up to 200 loony allegations per minute”.

RanTalbott May 12, 2014 at 2:35 pm #

Thinker: I think we all saw this coming, didn’t we?

Well, I don’t think anyone predicted that there would be abounding honey traps.

I wonder if that allegation is just a clever mind control trick by Vallely to motivate people who are vacillating about going…

Dave May 14, 2014 at 10:15 pm #

It occurs to me that there is no way to move 10-30 million people into DC in a day. The total capacity of the airports, trains, and highways just can’t do it. So in order for all those people to be here for Friday, you would expect there to be a huge influx starting at least a week ago. But it’s not in the news. Puzzling.

Andrew Vrba, PmG May 14, 2014 at 10:17 pm #

RanTalbott: vacillating

I learn more new words visiting this site. :)

RanTalbott May 14, 2014 at 10:50 pm #

Dave: It occurs to me that there is no way to move 10-30 million people into DC in a day

Shhh! Don’t tell the OAS people: you’ll spoil the surprise.

Rickey May 14, 2014 at 10:54 pm #

The weather forecast for D.C. grows dicier.

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR THE MARYLAND PORTION OF THE CHESAPEAKE BAY…TIDAL POTOMAC RIVER…AND ADJACENT COUNTIES IN CENTRAL MARYLAND AND NORTHERN VIRGINIA AS WELL AS THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA.

DAY ONE…TONIGHT

MINOR COASTAL FLOODING IS POSSIBLE NEAR HIGH TIDE LATE TONIGHT…ESPECIALLY FOR SENSITIVE AREAS ALONG THE WESTERN SHORE OF THE MARYLAND CHESAPEAKE BAY.

DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN…THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY

A FLASH FLOOD WATCH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT THURSDAY NIGHT UNTIL FRIDAY EVENING. WIDESPREAD HEAVY RAINFALL IS POSSIBLE AHEAD OF A SLOW-MOVING COLD FRONT…WHICH COULD LEAD TO FLASH FLOODING. ANY RIVER FLOODING THAT OCCURS MAY CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY.

ISOLATED SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE THURSDAY AFTERNOON INTO FRIDAY MORNING WITH LOCALLY DAMAGING WIND GUSTS AND ISOLATED TORNADOES BEING THE PRIMARY THREATS.

A SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FOR THE WATERS THURSDAY AFTERNOON. A SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY WILL BE NEEDED THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY. A GALE WARNING MAY BE NEEDED FOR PORTIONS OF THE WATERS THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING.

MINOR COASTAL FLOODING IS POSSIBLE NEAR TIMES OF HIGH TIDE THURSDAY AND FRIDAY FOR LOCATIONS ALONG THE WESTERN SHORE OF THE MARYLAND CHESAPEAKE BAY AND THE SHORE OF THE TIDAL POTOMAC RIVER.

bgansel9 May 14, 2014 at 11:03 pm #

Rickey: A FLASH FLOOD WATCH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT THURSDAY NIGHT UNTIL FRIDAY EVENING. WIDESPREAD HEAVY RAINFALL IS POSSIBLE AHEAD OF A SLOW-MOVING COLD FRONT

Oh goody! :P

Dr. Conspiracy May 14, 2014 at 11:05 pm #

Who says prayer doesn’t work?

Rickey: The weather forecast for D.C. grows dicier.

RanTalbott May 14, 2014 at 11:37 pm #

Dr. Conspiracy: Who says prayer doesn’t work?

I predict OASers claiming it was okay for them to blow off showing up because God sent a flood to do the job for them.

Of course, after the storm passes, and some tourist snaps a picture of a rainbow sprouting from the WH lawn, with doves roosting on the roof above the Oval Office, they are gonna be terminally screwed…

Jim May 14, 2014 at 11:48 pm #

RanTalbott: Shhh!Don’t tell the OAS people: you’ll spoil the surprise.

Orly’s got them beat, this is how she believed Holder got from LA to Georgia to meet with Judge Land. http://i.imgur.com/9atGVJB.gif

roxy7655 May 15, 2014 at 12:19 am #

Andrew Vrba, PmG: I learn more new words visiting this site.

I’m just getting tired of enduring the Birthers’ floccinaucinihilipilification.

Keith May 15, 2014 at 12:32 am #

RanTalbott:I have some beachfront property in Casa Grande to sell.

Must be a Giants fan.

Keith May 15, 2014 at 12:35 am #

Bonsall Obot:
    “Let’s you and him fight!”

You wanna fight me friend?

That’s me friend over there.

RanTalbott May 15, 2014 at 12:40 am #

roxy7655: ’m just getting tired of enduring the Birthers’ floccinaucinihilipilification.

If you look at the ludicrous crap they believe, I think a case could be made that they suffer from Floccinaucinihilipilification Deficit Disorder.

Except for Zullo, of course, to whom such an argument would be of no concern.

Andrew Vrba, PmG May 15, 2014 at 1:24 am #

roxy7655: I’m just getting tired of enduring the Birthers’ floccinaucinihilipilification.

*Looks up floccinaucinihilipilification.
    *Finds that floccinaucinihilipilification is in fact a real word.
    *Stares blankly at screen
    *Decides its time for bed.

Andrew Vrba, PmG May 15, 2014 at 1:32 am #

Who says prayer doesn’t work?

Perhaps its God’s way of telling the OASers: “You folks are actually claiming that you’re doing MY work? Kindly leave me out of your craziness, kthxbai!”

The Magic M May 15, 2014 at 4:27 am #

Andrew Vrba, PmG: Finds that floccinaucinihilipilification is in fact a real word.

Ironically, the German Wikipedia has an entry for it while the English one doesn’t: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floccinaucinihilipilification

The Magic M May 15, 2014 at 4:32 am #

RanTalbott: Actually, now that Klayman has officially invoked the Star Wars metaphor, they’ll be able to shuttle people in using these.

God will just beam them up over there, with a little help from Scotty, trust them. But don’t blink or you’ll miss it, 10 million patriots showing up, then vanishing again in a puff of smoke and Old Spice.

Jim May 15, 2014 at 11:15 am #

Here’s a little help for them in planning an overthrow…

Rickey May 15, 2014 at 12:00 pm #

In related news, tomorrow is “Bike to Work Day” in D.C.

Rickey May 15, 2014 at 6:59 pm #

It will literally rain on the OAS parade tomorrow.

Tonight Showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 10pm, then showers between 10pm and 3am, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 3am. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 64. Southeast wind 11 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Friday Showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 2pm, then a chance of showers between 2pm and 4pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. High near 71. Light and variable wind becoming northwest 9 to 14 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Friday Night A chance of showers between 8pm and 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50. Northwest wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Andrew Vrba, PmG May 15, 2014 at 7:05 pm #

Rickey:
    It will literally rain on the OAS parade tomorrow.

Let the sogginess begin!

Paper May 15, 2014 at 9:25 pm #

Just “previewed” on The Rachel Maddow Show. She hopes everyone in Washington is making sure they have their parking spaces reserved tonight, before the big day. She also suggests we may want to get our go bags and gold bars ready.

Rickey May 15, 2014 at 9:36 pm #

Paper:
    Just “previewed” on The Rachel Maddow Show.She hopes everyone in Washington is making sure they have their parking spaces reserved tonight, before the big day.She also suggests we may want to get our go bags and gold bars ready.

I just looked at the D.C. traffic cameras – very light traffic this evening.

RanTalbott May 16, 2014 at 2:41 am #

Well, the lame excuses have begun: sorry I can’t help you overthrow our tyrannical government and save the nation from collapse this week.
    if my son’s prom weren’t tomorrow I would be there. i’ll try to get down there sometime soon. stay safe and be aware of infiltrators. when they start their nonsense, surround them and point fingers yelling and booing them.

Which reminded me of this.

RanTalbott May 16, 2014 at 2:49 am #

[Let's try this again, without the bizarre server screwup that wouldn't let me fix the typo in the last one]

Which reminded me of this.

aarrgghh May 16, 2014 at 6:48 am #

today millions storm dc
    bayonets aglitter
    i’ll see you on the battlefield
    once i find a sitter
    burma shave

The Magic M May 16, 2014 at 8:46 am #

aarrgghh: today millions storm dc
    bayonets aglitter
    i’ll see you on the battlefield
    once i find a sitter
    burma shave

I see you have a bayonet
    But I don’t see your horse
    Here, let me write your epithet:
    “Wingnut without remorse”

I see the log that’s in your eye
    You think it’s just a splinter
    All birther hopes today must die:
    Your spring is cold as winter

The Magic M May 16, 2014 at 8:49 am #

RanTalbott (quoting a birfer): if my son’s prom weren’t tomorrow I would be there

See, that’s the birthers’ real “patriotism” – “the country is dying but I’d rather go to my son’s prom”. I mean, I’m glad these people are too dumb/chickenshoot/lazy to start something violent, but come on!

JPotter May 16, 2014 at 10:44 am #

List of Wingnut Excuses for Being Late to Overthrow of Big Gubbamint
    (A modest beginning)

1. Scheduling conflict with child’s Prom.
    2. Had to take trash out (at home in Hoboken, not in DC)
    3. Forgot to turn oven off.
    3. Could not find keys.
    4. American Idol was on.
    5. Forgot to charge cell phone.

76. Stuck in Beltway traffic (blocked but deranged militia truck drivers—curses!)

817. Left my spine in my other pants.

9,254. My dog ate it.

(Feel free to add to this vital documentary project.)

Arthur May 16, 2014 at 10:51 am #

OMG! According to this live feed (recorded 35 minutes ago!) there must be at least a half-dozen patriots ready to storm the barricades! Not surprisingly, I hear some Hillbilly being spoken. God speed, and keep yer powder dry! Git ‘er dun!

Steve May 16, 2014 at 11:16 am #

JPotter:
    List of Wingnut Excuses for Being Late to Overthrow of Big Gubbamint
    (A modest beginning)

1. Scheduling conflict with child’s Prom.
    2. Had to take trash out (at home in Hoboken, not in DC)
    3. Forgot to turn oven off.
    3. Could not find keys.
    4. American Idol was on.
    5. Forgot to charge cell phone.

817. Left my spine in my other pants.

9,254.My dog ate it.

(Feel free to add to this vital documentary project.)

You forgot “Had to cash my government disability check.”

donna May 16, 2014 at 11:16 am #

‘Big nutball day’ in D.C.: Maddow mocks Bundyesque ‘Operation American Spring’

MSNBC host Rachel Maddow poked some fun on Thursday at the upcoming “Operation American Spring,” linking Friday’s event to a series of similar protests that talked big but ultimately failed to deliver on their promises of revolution against President Barack Obama’s administration.

Andrew Vrba, PmG May 16, 2014 at 11:18 am #

The reactions at BR, run the gamut from “Come on! Give it 24 hours, before declaring it a failure.” to “Yeah, this was doomed to fail from the start.”

Arthur May 16, 2014 at 11:20 am #

JPotter: (Feel free to add to this vital documentary project.)

16. Ice Dancing competition on ESPN4.

32: Waffle House offering one free strip of bacon this weekend.

41: Hoverround blew a tie rod.

68: Heard a couple kids might walk across my lawn Saturday; got to get to Cabela’s to buy some hollow point rounds.

89. Can’t get out of my computer chair.

99. Don’t remember how to get on the Interstate.

Arthur May 16, 2014 at 11:27 am #

Wingnut urges crowd to sing “Star Spangled Banner” but starts singing “American the Beautiful.” http://www.ustream.tv/search?q=Operation%20American%20Spring

bovril May 16, 2014 at 11:28 am #

JPotter: List of Wingnut Excuses for Being Late to Overthrow of Big Gubbamint
    (A modest beginning)
    1. Scheduling conflict with child’s Prom.
    2. Had to take trash out (at home in Hoboken, not in DC)

HA! I know that one is a lie as our garbage was picked up 3 days a week and recycling twice a week !!!!

(Hey the “waste management” companies gotta get paid….know what I mean…)

Arthur May 16, 2014 at 12:12 pm #

A new live feed from OAS was supposed to start 10 minutes ago, but nothing’s happening. If only Birdboy had gotten off his ass and gone to D.C.–he would be manning the barricades, I’m sure!

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater May 16, 2014 at 12:15 pm #

Don’t forget Volin will be broadcasting a show live at 2pm. Wonder if he brought his moderator with him.

Arthur May 16, 2014 at 12:20 pm #

Arthur: but nothing’s happening.

No, wait a minute . . . I see a mullet, a wooden cross, and . . . yes, a “Benghazi” banner. Success!

Rickey May 16, 2014 at 12:35 pm #

Wiley Drake was speaking to the dozens in attendance, claiming that it is not a demonstration or a protest.

Andrew Vrba, PmG May 16, 2014 at 12:55 pm #

I watched the feed for a while. Wow. TENS of people showed up. And could they have found a more redneck sounding spokesman? If Obama was even half the “tyrant” that guy claims him to be, then these people would have been sawed in half by machine gun, fire the moment they stepped off the short bus. The fact that they are free to make such a huge joke of themselves at our nation’s capitol is all the proof in the world that Obama is NOT a tyrant.

sfjeff May 16, 2014 at 1:08 pm #

Andrew Vrba, PmG: The fact that they are free to make such a huge joke of themselves at our nation’s capitol is all the proof in the world that Obama is NOT a tyrant.

But they know that Obama is a sekrit tyrant……

And I bet they think that Obama is the reason that more true PATriuts! did not show up….

JPotter May 16, 2014 at 1:12 pm #

sfjeff: But they know that Obama is a sekrit tyrant……

Many Bothans died to bring us this information …

JPotter May 16, 2014 at 1:19 pm #

List of Wingnut Excuses for Being Late to Overthrow of Big Gubbamint
    (A modest beginning)

0. Had to cash my government disability check.
    1. Scheduling conflict with child’s Prom.
    2. Had to take trash out (at home in Hoboken, not in DC)
    3. Forgot to turn oven off.
    3. Could not find keys.
    4. American Idol was on.
    5. Forgot to charge cell phone.
    6. Busy on the homefront, keeping Gubbamint Hands off Med-e-Kerr.

16. Ice Dancing competition on ESPN4.

32: Waffle House offering one free strip of bacon this weekend.

41: Hoverround blew a tie rod.

89. Can’t get out of my computer chair.

99. Don’t remember how to get on the Interstate.

169. After 3yrs, still busy flogging PDF Madness memes on Amazon Forum (This is Herm’s excuse anyway…the last deadender there.)

817. Left my spine in my other pants.

9,254. My dog ate it.

(Feel free to continue adding to this vital documentary project.)

Dave May 16, 2014 at 1:56 pm #

I’m sad because every “live” feed I can find is down, or showing a loop of OAS promo, or one that was showing a 2.5 minute video that isn’t live. You’d think out of 10 million people they could find one who could fix the feeds.

Arthur May 16, 2014 at 2:14 pm #

Rickey: Wiley Drake was speaking to the dozens in attendance,

Not getting enough of right-wing nut-jobbery? Then watch this video posted by Drake. Starting at 1:16. You’ll see the bloated face and disturbed mind of OAS in the form of “Greg” from Florida, a patriot who lists “The Father, Son, and Holy Ghost” as his legal counsel.

Dave May 16, 2014 at 2:19 pm #

I found another “live” OAS feed that has Mark Connors inside, looks like maybe a camper, doing a call-in talk show. They are talking about OAS. I guess he’s doing it live.

donna May 16, 2014 at 2:24 pm #

Operation American Spring falls flat: ‘This is very disappointing,’ Texan says

“We were getting over two inches of rain in hour in parts of Virginia this morning,” Mr. Milton said. “Now it’s a nice sunny day. But this is a very poor turnout. It ain’t no millions. And it ain’t looking like there’s going to be millions. Hundreds is more like it.”

my fave tweet: Where is everybody? I’m confused. Didn’t get directions, thought I could find 10 million people! HELP!!!

donna May 16, 2014 at 4:43 pm #

priceless!

I work at a museum on the Mall, and there are currently a couple of hundred dummies in front of the Air and Space museum. Presumably after they get finished protesting the government, they all head inside to use the government-provide restrooms in the free-to-the-public government-provided museum.

Operation American Spring, the Right’s Crazy Copy of Occupy, Explained

RanTalbott May 16, 2014 at 5:29 pm #

donna: Presumably after they get finished protesting the government, they all head inside to use the government-provide restrooms in the free-to-the-public government-provided museum.

No way: free toilets are a government handout that no True Patriot™ would accept, and all that sciencey stuff is librul propaganda that Real Conservatives™ avoid at all costs.

RanTalbott May 16, 2014 at 7:02 pm #

Next lame excuse: Falcon is saying that the patriots have to wait until they get off work to start the new American revolution.

Bagdhad Bob would be so proud.

Some of his comments suggest he’s typing one-handed.

Majority Will May 16, 2014 at 7:36 pm #

Well, at least 10 milling people showed up.

Northland10 May 16, 2014 at 7:44 pm #

JPotter:
    List of Wingnut Excuses for Being Late to Overthrow of Big Gubbamint

(Feel free to continue adding to this vital documentary project.)

A cat was blocking my way.

Jim May 16, 2014 at 8:04 pm #

JPotter:
    List of Wingnut Excuses for Being Late to Overthrow of Big Gubbamint

(Feel free to continue adding to this vital documentary project.)

Looking at the pics…ran out of Depends.
    Couldn’t figure out how to get out of my mother’s basement
    Took a wrong turn at Albuquerque

Keith May 17, 2014 at 3:52 am #

Majority Will:
    Well, at least 10 milling people showed up.

Badda Boom

donna May 17, 2014 at 2:21 pm #

Tea Party Protesters March on White House

Paper May 17, 2014 at 2:48 pm #

Were we voting for rain drops or people?

;-}

donna May 17, 2014 at 3:09 pm #

around 13 minutes on the youtube video:

“….. money is free speech – they (the supremes) opened the gates and let our government be bought out by whoever has the money – it doesn’t matter if their interests are in the best of the amercan people – it matters who’s paying their checks …. their campaign contributions – and until we have a constitutional amendment that says money is not speech and corporations are not people, it doesn’t matter if we’re successful today and we put scooby-doo in obama’s place, the problem is still going to continue – [applause]

Bonsall Obot May 17, 2014 at 3:59 pm #

Ignoring the fact that Obama’s appointees had no part of approving that decision.

If you want the Supremes to stop ruling in favor of corporations, stop voting for Republicans who appoint conservatives to the court. We’ve been telling you that for decades. This is the result.

donna May 17, 2014 at 4:16 pm #

opps

i don’t support “corporations are people” nor “money is free speech” and before that is changed, they should follow the law – exclusively ≠ primarily

if you want to donate and express your opinions, then DISCLOSE who you are

i agree with mccain:

“What the Supreme Court did is a combination of arrogance, naivete and stupidity the likes of which I have never seen,” said McCain

“I promise you, there will be huge scandals,” McCain said, “because there’s too much money washing around, too much of it we don’t know who’s behind it and too much corruption associated with that kind of money. There will be major scandals.”

angus king (i think): “you can’t go to a town meeting with a bag over your head – if you’re going to state your opinions and state your views, you gotta come up and state who you are – it’s a fundamental part of our democracy”

Bonsall Obot May 17, 2014 at 4:52 pm #

I didn’t mean to suggest that you believed that, Donna. What I was saying is that progressives have seen this coming for decades. Supreme Court appointments, if no other reason even existed, disqualify any modern Republican from consideration for the presidency; they cannot be trusted to make responsible appointments.

donna May 17, 2014 at 5:02 pm #

Bonsall Obot:

oh, i agree – before the 2008 election, i remember arguing with an ordinarily progressive person about the supreme court and abortion in particular – he said that law will never be changed so we can forget about the court – i laughed then and everyday since

republican appointed fmr justice stevens: (April 30, 2014)

(TRANSCRIPT) Justice Stevens’ Testimony to Senate Rules Committee re Proposed Campaign Finance Constitutional Amendment

“Fourth, while money is used to finance speech, money is not speech. Speech is only one of the activities that are financed by campaign contributions and expenditures. Those financial activities should not receive the same constitutional protection as speech itself. After all, campaign funds were used to finance the Watergate burglaries – actions that clearly were not protected by the First Amendment.”

J.D. Sue May 17, 2014 at 5:30 pm #

From the transcript of President Obama’s first State of the Union speech, January 2010:

“[W]e have to recognize that we face more than a deficit of dollars right now. We face a deficit of trust -– deep and corrosive doubts about how Washington works that have been growing for years.. .

* * *

But we can’t stop there. It’s time to require lobbyists to disclose each contact they make on behalf of a client with my administration or with Congress. It’s time to put strict limits on the contributions that lobbyists give to candidates for federal office.

With all due deference to separation of powers, last week the Supreme Court reversed a century of law that I believe will open the floodgates for special interests –- including foreign corporations –- to spend without limit in our elections. (Applause.) I don’t think American elections should be bankrolled by America’s most powerful interests, or worse, by foreign entities. (Applause.) They should be decided by the American people. And I’d urge Democrats and Republicans to pass a bill that helps to correct some of these problems.”

(end of quote from transcript)

As we may recall, we watched Justice Alito on camera–sitting among all the Justices there (Scalia and Thomas were absent)–shaking his head and mouthing the words “not true”. In my opinion, that showed lack of judicial temperament.

Any judge or Justice is apt to scold someone in his/her courtroom for improperly doing something like that when the judge or Justice is speaking. Justice Alito should have demonstrated the same expected courtesy–with all due deference to separation of powers–when sitting there in the Article I branch’s arena, while the Article II branch Executive was speaking pursuant to his constitutional obligation under Article II, Section 3: “He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; . . .”

And, as we know, Justice Alito also was factually mistaken when he said “not true”.

James M May 17, 2014 at 10:02 pm #

Rickey: That means that they need at least 400,000 groups to hit the magic number of 10 million.

As anyone who has been involved with Rainbow Gatherings knows, it is not up to the group to decide whether they are an organization. The feds make that call, by precedents and CFR rules which in my opinion are a poor application of Time Place and Manner restrictions, and will declare the group to be an unincorporated organization. They will go so far as to appoint the leadership of this organization, and then hold those leaders responsible for the actions of the group. They have a simple regulatory basis for writing citations (which generally threaten a $5,000 fine and provides for civil asset forfeiture without so much as a hearing). I have personally witnessed the application of this standard many times and have, over the years, participated in numerous protests against the policy and the regulations.

Sowing up in “groups of 25″ is not an effective means of circumventing federal enforcement of regulations which make certain kinds of public gatherings subject to permit requirements. I have seen the “strategy” fail even when the “groups” truly were not affiliated with each other in any way. The process that federal agents will apply in order to create the legal fiction of an “organization” complete with hierarchy of leadership, even among assemblies of almost total strangers, was a bold shock to me. In fact, it is the only true abridgment of my own Constitutional Rights that I have ever personally suffered at the hands of the US Federal Government.

Not that this will be an issue for the OAS attendee(s). I didn’t see any evidence that they outnumbered my musical group the last time we played in Lafayette Park.

It also strikes me as hilarious that they chose this weekend to make their big parade. Next week is Memorial Day, a weekend during which DC will enjoy enormous crowds, the sort of days when you might drive from BWI all the way to Woodbridge before finding a place to park — something that I actually experienced once during a Fourth of July weekend.

333333 44444